Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1988-1990 Front Civic Struts Work

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord CA5

Re: Front suspention is done (for now)

woops...double posting...anyway...you guys are very lucky that there's still companies making parts for the 3Gs there...damn....hey im loving the front brake set....im opting for a brake set taken from a BB prelude H22A since there's no brake set for the 3G here...with the kind of driving im doing...i need a lot of braking help...but of cos it'll look much sweeter with a cross drilled disc like that...
    Last edited by SataniC; 12-13-2005 at 04:51 AM.
    Currently Under Construction...Sorry For The Inconvenience

Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Hey Legend Master i had my fronts pressed out but if you do the front yourself your gonna need a chisel to bang it it but the bushings go right in that you have for the front. that's easy. the rears will have to be pressed out and the new ones pressed it. I just got OEM bushings for the rear scince the prothane ones where to big.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by SataniC
    woops...double posting...anyway...you guys are very lucky that there's still companies making parts for the 3Gs there...damn....hey im loving the front brake set....im opting for a brake set taken from a BB prelude H22A since there's no brake set for the 3G here...with the kind of driving im doing...i need a lot of braking help...but of cos it'll look much sweeter with a cross drilled disc like that...

Well seems like you have done the same mods I did the first time around, except I did not put the rear struts on. I tried the front struts for an ek civic, but I modified the accord pitch fork instead of using the civic one. I just made the hole bigger so that the struts would slide in it. That project was scrapped due to the struts being way to tall for our cars. As for the ef struts, I moved the piece up that rest against the pirch so that the struts dident give me such big wheel gap and the would not wear out as fast do to lack of suspention travel. As for the rears I would be afraid to weld them, because they are filled with nitrogenand it is very explosive. I think I will be picking up a set of rear civic struts for and EF and EK and do some comparison between the two and our factory struts. It has to be possible to get the rear mod done without having to dump the car.

and military mase my local suspention guy told me to take a blow torch and melt the old ones out then just slip the new ones in for the front. I called prothane and Nopi, they both told me that this kit will work with my car. So someone somewhere must have gotten this to work . I will kepp you updated on what I get done, but thanks for all the help.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

For the ones in the front make sure you take out the metal sleeve. As far as the rears the bushings even come apart and i tried it taking the outer metal sleeve and it still didn't work. Prothane swore up and down about the bushings. I gave them the mesurement for the bushings and then gave them a spec for the OEM bushing. The length is fine it's the circumfrence that's off.

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap

Re: 1988-1990 Civic Struts are perfect

i just read this entire thread and i am still lost.

ok, lets say i want to dump my coup 3 inches all the way around. i pretty much know ill use 96-00 civic struts in the rear. is that a 3 inch drop with factory height springs?

now for the front we talked about using 88-91 civic struts. what combo will give me the 3" drop in the front with the stock like ride. i dont care if i have to modify the forlks
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SQ is the SQUAD

ok, lets say i want to dump my coup 3 inches all the way around. i pretty much know ill use 96-00 civic struts in the rear. is that a 3 inch drop with factory height springs?

now for the front we talked about using 88-91 civic struts. what combo will give me the 3" drop in the front with the stock like ride. i dont care if i have to modify the forlks

A 3"drop will never give you a stock ride feeling, because it will need to be stiff since our chassis are lower then our bumpers. Second The piece on the strut that rest against the perch needs to be modified so that it sits higher up on the struts. If you look at my pictures you can see that the strut sits lower in the perch. The lower you sit it the lower the ride height, but to low and the strut will rest on the axles. Since you plan on dropping the car so much you will need to lower the strut as much as possible to allow for as much strut travel as is needed for the strut not to wear out quickly. This all comes down to the struts being taller then our stock accord struts. let me know if you need anymore help.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

well if you plan to go turbo, performance mods, then a 3" drop is a waste of money, purely show. To get the car to handle good will involve completely custom suspension.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle

Ok I just relized this was my old thread refer to this thread
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48470

Vehicle

i want to get the koni agx adjustable shocks. so if i get either 91 civic shocks or 92 civic shock for the forlks and use my matrix 2.5/2.25springs,will ihave bottom out issue? iwant to get pretty low like i am now, prob a tad bit higher since ill haveeither 16 or 17 inch rims. i know this is getting confusing.

rims: 16 or 17 rota slipstrem/spoon/ebay nippon
    front shocks: 91 civic agx or 92 civic agx with forlks
    rear struts:96 civc agx

i guess what i amasking is what strut combo with my 2.5/2.25 springs will get me close to this

S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

Vehicle

i want to get the koni agx adjustable shocks. so if i get either 91 civic shocks or 92 civic shock for the forlks and use my matrix 2.5/2.25springs,will ihave bottom out issue? iwant to get pretty low like i am now, prob a tad bit higher since ill haveeither 16 or 17 inch rims. i know this is getting confusing.

rims: 16 or 17 rota slipstrem/spoon/ebay nippon
    front shocks: 91 civic agx or 92 civic agx with forlks
    rear struts:96 civc agx

i guess what i amasking is what strut combo with my 2.5/2.25 springs will get me close to this

No dude you have to get 88-90 struts like the title says. They are shorter and they fit into the accord fork. You will need to lower the strut down until it almost hits the axle, if you want to drop your car that low. I don't think the strut will bottom out, I just think it is going to wear out faster with that much of a drop.

EDIT: from what I can tell the 96 civic struts will slam the car, so those should be good. Personally I would not go with the AGX struts, but that is just my opinion.

Vehicle

so what strutsare good for a slammed car?
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

Vehicle

so what strutsare good for a slammed car?

tokico illuminas, Koni, or I have hear lowboys are the shit for slammed cars.

Vehicle
    1990 Nissan 240SX w/ VG30DETT

alright, to see if I'm following okay here's some hypothetical situations.

'88 strut + stock spring = higher than accord stock height

'88 strut + 1.5" lowered spring = somewhere near stock accord height

'88 strut + 3" lowered spring = about 1.5" drop in appearence, but funky ride

'88 strut - modified to sit low + 2" lowered spring = about 1.5" drop in appearence and decent ride

this all refers to front ends only. now, could someone please tell me if I am correct or else could they correct me where I failed? thanks.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Lockleaf
    alright, to see if I'm following okay here's some hypothetical situations.
    '88 strut + stock spring = higher than accord stock height
    '88 strut + 1.5" lowered spring = somewhere near stock accord height
    '88 strut - modified to sit low + 2" lowered spring = about 1.5" drop in appearence and decent ride
    this all refers to front ends only. now, could someone please tell me if I am correct or else could they correct me where I failed? thanks.

This is all good except for
    the car dosent ride funky, it just wears the strut out quickly

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two

has anyone looked into 86-89 teg and 90-93 teg struts, tokico lists theirs as different part numbers from the civic ones just curious
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by sporkHSP
    has anyone looked into 86-89 teg and 90-93 teg struts, tokico lists theirs as different part numbers from the civic ones just curious

they don't really make any good struts for the 86-89 integras and the 90-93 are to thick in diameter just like the civics. I looked into both of those, but I dont know if the 86-89 fit our cars or not.

Vehicle
    1991 crx si//2001 focus//89 civic dx hatch//92 intega 2dr

humm, even if they did, you think it would lower our 3geez i ask this because i got an 89 teg sitting at my house, i will look and see the difference and if they would bolt up. so has anyone come up with a combo of stock struts/springs that would bolt up to our car with no or little mods and actually lower it ?
    FS:88 Accord 4dr 5sp 208k miles $700 obo

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

which are shorter in the front ef(88-91) or ek(96-00)?
    Zeph Uusitalo
    Proof That Bike Carbs Work On An A20!
    Dyno'd the accord. It made 104HP 117TQ.... And blew smoke everywhere. I guess the 210K motor really is done

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god

Quote Originally Posted by Zufer
    which are shorter in the front ef(88-91) or ek(96-00)?
    EF.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MoonScryer
    EF.

The left strut in this pic is the EF the right is EK, there is not that much difference in height. The real difference is the diameter and that is why the EF bolts right in, but the EK doesnt

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

ok thanks... i actually don't care about the diameter thing because i wanna make coilovers work and if i do that i can use a lathe and make the mount whatever diameter i need. And yes i have already read about busted blue and teins... and i have a solution for the back too. I let you know how it turns out once i get some money to purchase them.
    Zeph Uusitalo
    Proof That Bike Carbs Work On An A20!
    Dyno'd the accord. It made 104HP 117TQ.... And blew smoke everywhere. I guess the 210K motor really is done

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Zufer
    ok thanks... i actually don't care about the diameter thing because i wanna make coilovers work and if i do that i can use a lathe and make the mount whatever diameter i need. And yes i have already read about busted blue and teins... and i have a solution for the back too. I let you know how it turns out once i get some money to purchase them.

Why not just use the EF struts so you dont have to bore out the inside of the fork and make it weaker.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

we should take a look around H-T and get people to post pics of their coilovers. you know a bunch of those guys have a similar setup to what we want to run. if we can get one of them to snap photos of the adjustabililty, we should be able to determine whether or not they will work. SOMEONE has to have civic coilovers locally as well.

honestly i think it will be a bolt in if we get the coilovers with adjustable lower mounts and build our easy little fix for the rear.

we are trying to use full bodied coilovers with adjustable lower pieces, so that we can thread the bottom of the coilover UP. by doing this we should be able to avoid welding the collar of the strut, and avoid it hitting the axle. but we are scared to drop $1000 on coilovers nice enough to do this, considering they may not work at all.

do stock EF tophats bolt in? or will we need to make our own new top mounts?
    Last edited by bobafett; 04-12-2006 at 08:20 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett
    we should take a look around H-T and get people to post pics of their coilovers. you know a bunch of those guys have a similar setup to what we want to run. if we can get one of them to snap photos of the adjustabililty, we should be able to determine whether or not they will work. SOMEONE has to have civic coilovers locally as well.
    honestly i think it will be a bolt in if we get the coilovers with adjustable lower mounts and build our easy little fix for the rear.

the front will be no problem, because they have adjustable lower perch and would allow for the difference in size between the civic and accord. As for the rear, someone had a good idea to make an extension onto the rod of the strut to allow for the strut being shorter. The only problem is that the part used to adjust the stiffness is located on the top of the rod.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett

do stock EF tophats bolt in? or will we need to make our own new top mounts?
    I think the EF top mount is a two bolt and not a three bolt like ours.