Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springs and Antiroll Bars + What's Available

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord, 1988 Honda Accord Hatch LXi, 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

Re: Springs and Antiroll Bars + What's Available

All sorts of springs on ebay. Summit Racing has anti sway bars. I just bought a kit 2 days ago from them with oversized bars. Comes with all of the mounting hardware too.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by markmdz89hatch View Post
    actually that's all that this implies. The sleeve style coilover setup (more accurately the coilover conversion or sleeve) works, but the full-bodied coilovers (including the shock) will not work as they are entirely different lengths. Welcome to the board. Pull up a chair, stay a while, this is one of the best resources out there for the older honda's, and hands-down the best (if not the only) for the 3G.

Theyre different lengths but do they bolt up?

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by markmdz89hatch View Post
    No, absolutely do not heat the springs. By doing this, you change their tensile strength and make them more brittle. You will be far more prone to cracking your springs if you heat them up.

If you have no other choice, yes, a cut spring is far safer than a heated one. Be sure to replace all your shocks with new because the spring rate is increased when you cut the spring as well, so you'll need (at the very least) a new set of shocks to keep the car from bouncing down the road like a rubber ball.

Listen to mark, springs are made from spring steel after heating the metal up near 400F it will change structure into mild steel

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    '88 Honda Accord LX

This is an old thread but I was hoping I could get some help. I'm replacing my stock struts and springs with KYB excel-g struts and H&R sport springs that lower the car "1.5-2.0 inches on average" It sounds like this will cause camber issues that alignment can't fix, is this true? Also would extended top hats be a good idea, or will the stiffer springs compensate?

Since posting this I've read extended top hats won't fit a stock strut properly and required a coil-over type springs like ground controls or ksports. If this is true I guess I won't be needing them, huh? Any help appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by Matt's3rdGen; 10-08-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt's3rdGen View Post
    This is an old thread but I was hoping I could get some help. I'm replacing my stock struts and springs with KYB excel-g struts and H&R sport springs that lower the car "1.5-2.0 inches on average" It sounds like this will cause camber issues that alignment can't fix, is this true? Also would extended top hats be a good idea, or will the stiffer springs compensate?

Since posting this I've read extended top hats won't fit a stock strut properly and required a coil-over type springs like ground controls or ksports. If this is true I guess I won't be needing them, huh? Any help appreciated, thanks
    http://www.cheddasauto.com/

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

I asked MOOG what their spring rates are on those variable springs:

"No problem! Here are those spring rates:
    CC221- 170 Rear Variable Rate Coil Springs - Pair. MOOG MOOG-CC221
    CC248- 279 Front Variable Rate Coil Springs - Pair. MOOG MOOG-CC248

I also included the links back to those springs, they will come in a pair. Let me know if you need anything else or would like to place an order, we'll be happy to help! Have a great weekend."

So fronts (CC248) are 279 and rears (CC221) are 170, hope this info helps

EDIT Nevermind I didn't realize the spring rate info was in the original post about the MOOG springs, I didn't see it on their website so I went ahead and asked them. It must not show all of the product details on the mobile version of the website
    Last edited by Fixedit; 09-08-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    I asked MOOG what their spring rates are on those variable springs:

"No problem! Here are those spring rates:
    CC221- 170 Rear Variable Rate Coil Springs - Pair. MOOG MOOG-CC221
    CC248- 279 Front Variable Rate Coil Springs - Pair. MOOG MOOG-CC248

I also included the links back to those springs, they will come in a pair. Let me know if you need anything else or would like to place an order, we'll be happy to help! Have a great weekend."

So fronts (CC248) are 279 and rears (CC221) are 170, hope this info helps

EDIT Nevermind I didn't realize the spring rate info was in the original post about the MOOG springs, I didn't see it on their website so I went ahead and asked them. It must not show all of the product details on the mobile version of the website
    with this being said most springs available for the fronts are linear, with limited few being actually progressive. The rears typically are usually all progressive.

I have used the Moog springs in the past with my Bilstien steup.

CC246 compared to the CC248 have different installed spring heights 11" vs 9" with max load raitings of 484 lbs and 1100lbs respectfully. this changes things a bit, however I have used the CC 247's
    as far as the rear CC221 they are raited at a 387lbs load raiting at the 170 lb/in with a 11" installed height.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    1986 accord hatchback S B20A JDM / 1998 Accord LX Coupe

Re: Springs Available (including coilovers and antiroll bars)

Quote Originally Posted by AZmike View Post
    Anti-roll bars made for the third generation Accord:

FORMAT
    [brand]
    F: [bar diameter], [ratio]
    R: [bar diameter], [ratio]
    The ratio compares a barÂ’s torsional stiffness to the stock stiffness of the 88-89 fuel injected carÂ’s bars. This ratio is calculated assuming all bars have the same geometry as the stock parts (same lever arm twisting the bar).

Stock 86-87
    F: 20.5mm (approx 13/16”), 0.69
    R carb: none
    R fuel injected: 12mm (approx 15/32"), 0.73
    Stock 88-89
    F: 22.5mm (approx 7/8"), 1.00
    R carb: none
    R fuel injected: 13mm (approx 1/2"), 1.00

If you have updates, other information that you think should be added, or any questions about what is listed here post them below and I'll make changes as required.

I will not do your research for you. You are as capable of contacting the manufacturer as I am if you are curious about a particular product.
    Just a quick correction. Carbed Hatchback might have rear sway bar. In fact, all my 4 hatchback S(canadian) I had, all had rear swaybar.
    My 86 that I still have, do have rear sway bar also.
    Not upgraded by anyone before. Came stock like this

My Baby; Honda Accord 86 S, B20A JDM
    My Daily; Honda Accord 08 EX-L, K24Z3
    My 86 custom build thread

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord lxi sedan

Hey all i’m a noob here just bumping for tokico blue and eibach pro kit part #s and suggestions on whether you think the blues could handle the neuspeed drop springs. Having a little trouble finding the right threads any help would be appreciated!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhickson View Post
    Hey all i’m a noob here just bumping for tokico blue and eibach pro kit part #s and suggestions on whether you think the blues could handle the neuspeed drop springs. Having a little trouble finding the right threads any help would be appreciated!

Im not sure but I dont think the Tokico have been available for a very longtime. That list was compiled along time ago and I would guess most of it is only available on Ebay or such places.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhickson View Post
    Dampers (a.k.a. shocks) + What's Available

post #87 I updated with what we think is available. The first 4 pages of that link is just old news.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Kyb excel-gs are handling my drop really well. I'm lowered close to 3" maybe. I have skunk2 crx front springs and cut rear springs to match

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord lxi sedan

Excel gs are like updated gr2s is that right? Also did you mean cut rear stock springs or cut crx?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

The stock springs are cut. Crx springs were too short and too light. Had them on coilover sleeves and half of the progressive spring collapsed, despite riding only on the hard ass portion of the spring it rode ok thanks to the shocks... You felt those potholes though.

I'm not sure if the excel gs succeeded the gr2s, I don't think you can buy gr2s anyway.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX

i need help bought cb7 coilovers and they are 2 inches too long and wont go any lower the civic [88-91] only have 2 bolts on the top hat and the 88 accord has 3. how do i make this work or can i?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

What do you mean 2 inches too long? Have you dropped the car on these coils? Nobody said they were a direct fit, but you can use them.
    For the civic coils you can either redrill or change the top hats, but beware, the rear springs may not be heavy enough for an accord.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX

when compared to the stock ones the coils are too long and would lift my car. i now see that it says they are too long in the forums but i need to figure out how to get the desired drop of 2 inches and i have no idea how to get there. i see a lot of posts about drop springs and wouldn't mind doing that but idk how to do that what shocks do i need and what works with the car. i was looking at dropzone lowering springs but i don't want to bottom out the shock. so if you have more advice i would appreciate it. I'm a CB7 expert but not on these bad boys.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I really like my crx front lowering springs, but afik there isnt really a solution for the rear, I just cut mine and it actually handles great. Ksport and yellowspeed racing still sell coils.
    for the cb coils you might be able to install aftermarket coilover springs to get more drop, you can get them from eibach and the likes.
    Last edited by ShiRen; 01-28-2022 at 07:54 AM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX

my main concern is blowing out the shock absorbers. if i use these [ [url]http://www.slickcar.com/details/1680-coilovers.asp ] will i blow them out. on parts geek [
    https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1988/honda/accord/suspension/shock_absorber.html ] they have the stock shocks for the front and rear but again we come to the issues of travel would lowering it 2 inches cause the shock absorbers to blow out?
    Last edited by Dasiy17; 01-28-2022 at 08:30 AM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Dont use coilover sleeves, they dont work well. Get on rockauto and buy some kyb excel g's. Mine are doing fine lowered.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX

ok so the website parts geek is selling those shock absorbers so what lowering springs should i go with

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Not sure for the rear, but a progressive set of civic/crx springs for the front will work nicely. What are you going for? Honestly, the rear springs are perfectly fine to cut and you can get replacements. If you want something better go with one of the available coilovers from ysr or ksport

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX

I'm going for a 2 inch static drop. im not sure about cutting anything I'm not that advanced and i don't have the tools for cutting.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

go buy an angle grinder from harbor freight, you can get an alright one for $30.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 Honda Accord

Hey, I'm so lost trying to replace my front suspension on my 1985 Accord 2nd-gen Hatchback

Can ANYONE help me at all? Like I've been reading this forum and searching on the web for the past week trying to figure it out.
    I don't need it to be high performance for racing or anything - I just need my suspension to be replaced so the next pothole doesn't smash up my front end!!

Can anyone help or guide me to the right parts?