Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dampers (a.k.a. shocks) + What's Available

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Dampers (a.k.a. shocks) + What's Available

K sports top hats fit really well front and rear. I was impressed with that. I dont know if they would sell them alone or not.

its hard for me to quantify whats the best setup since I know 95% of the people "just want there car lowered" where as I want " a car that handles better". I dont believe those two things necessarily go together.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I would really like to know how the YSRs hold up to the Ksports, but I would rather just buy a reputable brand from the get go. Not many people are on ksports either though and you haven't had the best luck. I kind of expect a rougher ride as long as it doesn't upset the steering its ok.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I would guess all these sub 1500$ coilovers are about the same. There all made in Taiwan probably all in the same factory but definitely the same design and adjustment. The 36 way adjustment is a marketing gimmick. Yeah they adjust something but what and repeatability are the question.

I also would guess there more or less "one size fits all" since most of those car you mention are the same suspension design,60/40 weight balance, and pretty close over all weight. I ferret ed this out with K sport when there not interested in re valving my rear shocks,just send me another one. Thats not a fix for anything.

When I called Motion they told me send me your set up and we will make you something,re valving is on them. That tells me its not a one size fits all set up with them but obviously you pay for it up front.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

The only adjustable shocks I have ever had were QA1 single adjustables, which did not have very many clicks, but the rebound setting was pretty pronounced. The coilovers for this car are all only rebound adjustable, how precise the clicks are I have no idea. Whenever I set up my brothers Koni yellows in his Miata I could get about 3 turns out of 3 shocks, but only 2.5 out of one of them... I assume if I just set them in the middle they'll be pretty close, and his car feels great on the stock springs. I would assume these coilovers would be valved a little too light since their default springs are a tad too light, 600/400 would be ok if you had the car stripped down to 2100lbs or less with you in it, but its not extremely critical, still I would hope the valving would work for a car that would be sitting on 600/400 springs and that setting would be in the middle, a good coilover would probably be suitable for at least 750/500lb springs, which is more in this cars range stock. The only thing you can really do is buy them, put your preferred springs in them, and then go over some bumps and turn the knob until the car doesn't continue to bounce when you level out to flat ground, all the bump tuning you have is with your springs.

The absolute best coilovers you could buy for this car are https://shop-fortune-auto.com/collec...ries-coilovers but as you can see, they are for an EF. You would almost have to buy Ksports or YSRs and swap the top hats on them, it would be absolutely insane to buy these nice coilovers and then cut your strut towers. These are probably the only coilover that can be upgraded to dual adjustable to dial in the bump setting, so you should really be able to run a more aggressive, or more appropriate spring.