Thread: Should I try the original Honda Carb or Toyota Corolla KE30 carb?

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

Question Should I try the original Honda Carb or Toyota Corolla KE30 carb?

Hello friends, it's me again from Nicaragua.

Ok, my last thread was about getting a replacement carb for my Honda third gen that is making about 12 mpg, I told you that some friend of mine is going to send me the carb from Guatemala as a Gift ( from a 1989 accord LX) I'm glad.

However, now I have a new dilemma.

Some ( most ) friends of mine here say I should adapt the KE30 carburetor from a Toyota Corolla 3K engine, They say I would get 48 kilometers per gallon ( 30mpg ) and maybe more.. A local 1985 Honda Civic owner told me this and he’s very happy with the replacement, He said He saves a lot on gas, and he said that If I install another original honda accord carb, the gas mileage won't be too different, he says Honda carbs are too big and spend too much gas ( ? ), he says, definitely it's better the KE30..at least he made the change and he’s happy, He has a 1985 Honda Civic.

If I do this, they say I will get a more simple wire/cable connection, most cables will not be necessary, I would need a minor adaptation for the carb to fit in my accord and it's done, I will get the awaited 30mpg mileage...

I definitely care about gas consumption, I don’t care about speed or appearance, nor high tech sound system or expensive accessories or mods, no. Since I’m a poor man I just care about gas consumption and saving. However, I love my Honda I would like to keep it original, I don't have money to get another car for the next 5 years at least, I know I will keep this car for a long time, I need a permanent solution.

On the other side, I have some issues here:

Mine is a Honda Accord 1986-89, I don't know if its' 1600cc or 2000cc, in some place it says 12 VALVES.. well, the question is : I've copied this from the KE30 CARB :

"The third-generation Toyota Corolla, built from 1974–81 (worldwide versions) (KE3x/KE5x), marked Toyota's greatest growth in the United States in the wake of the fuel crisis. While there were certain fourth-generation models with a longer model life, this generation, when considered as a whole, was the longest-lived one, possibly due to the worldwide recession in the 1970s. All body styles—two- and four-door sedan (KE30), two-door hardtop (KE35) and three-door station wagon (KE36/KE38)—still used the 1.2 L (1166 cc/71 in³) 3K engine in certain markets, while most Japanese and American models got the stronger 1.6 L (1588 cc/96 in³) 2T engine."

My question is : How is it be that a Corolla third gen carb 1.2 L will fit my accord third gen (1.6 or 2.0L ) ... is it so simple or adaptable? What about the main difference... indeed the ke30 sounds me like a very economical option, apparently they build it for fuel crisis, so it should be very economical... I guess.

What do you think fellows? Remember, I don't live in the USA, I cannot buy WEBER 32/36, I cannot hardly buy a carb rebuild kit from here, I don’t have the money nor the mediums to buy it online , I’m very far from all of you that just go to a yunk yard and buy it in person.. my options are very limited here...

It is a funny thing that I cannot get an original honda accord carb here, but apparently it is easier to get the corrolla ke30 with easy.

Should I try the ke30 option or just replace my faulty carb with the original one about to come?

Is there some other tricks or hints to increase my mileage besides the change of carb....

Thanks in advance.

Mario Calero
    Managua.

My honda looks like this:

By the way: This December 4th, My Honda and I will be celebrating our first year together, I bought it December 4 2004, this is my very first car. I love it.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Should I try the original Honda Carb or Toyota Corolla KE30 carb?

uh do you have the factory keihin carb? the one with the twenty million vaccume lines connected to it? or are your emissions different. I'm talking about the computer carb,if you do you should get very good gas milage with it,my gas milage is terrible because i have a lot of engine modifications. uh can someone post a picture of the original carb and the original air cleaner on here for him? so he will know what i'm talking about.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

I guess I have the original Carb.

I don't have any mechanical knowledge, unfortunately I'm the type of guy that just DRIVE. I don't know what kind of carb I have but I assume it is the original. This car is in good shape, everything work just fine except for the carb, some mechanical says it has a damaged barrel ( ? ), I should replace it or rebuild it.

One more thing, It is a four door sedan, not like the original pic which is two doors.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

if someone is going to send you a carb i would just replace the original one,it should get really good gas milage.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I think Toyota uses 'Asia/Asian?' carbs and Honda uses 'Keihin' carbs.

Vehicle
    1989 LX Sedan, 1989 LX-i Sedan (Parts Car)

What about an O2 sensor? His car has one right? my 89 has one. I know this can cause very poor mileage when they go bad due to running the mixture too rich. We dont get "great" mileage with our car, about 22 or so, but, Im sure with a new O2 sensor I could see closer to 30.
    View my Image Gallery
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500
    2000 Dodge Ram 1500
    1996 Acura Integra GSR VTEC (GONE)

MY 3G UPDATE THREAD

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

Thumbs down O2 sensor, good idea, I'll try this.

Well, this is the kind of idea I'm looking for. I've decided to replace the carb with the original one, plus I will try to replace the O2 sensor.. but?

How could I know if it damaged or not? And how much would it cost? Is it a cheaper accessory?, not to difficult to replace? I really would like to replace or improve anything that may enhance gas mileage.. so give me as many advices as possible.

Thank you

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lx ,2006 accord se 2.4l i-vtec 166 hp 5spd

o2 sensor ? on a carbed honda?
    i must have missed that one when i yanked the black box.
    pic's of project at my homepage: home.earthlink.net/~andyk65