Thread: Rear wheels lock up in reverse

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Rear wheels lock up in reverse

This has been happening for a while, but not everytime. I backup and at least on of my rear wheels lock up. Not sure if its both. The wheels only lock up in reverse, and the ebrake works fine. There has been a chirping sound coming from the rear wheels for the past 50,000 miles. I thought it was a shoe rubbing against the drum because the chirp would go away if i press the brake slightly, even just pressing it but not slowing the car down. I thought the sound would just wear out after 50,000 miles but it hasnt. So im wondering if the shoe is getting jamed in the drum or are my bearings bad?

Prethanks

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch

Re: Rear wheels lock up in reverse

i recently had a similar problem only it would lock up when i engaged the ebrake. Whats happening is your shoe is getting cought up on the drum somehow and it locking up the wheel. Take off your drums and make sure the shoes are clean. You should be able to just take off the wheel and slide the drum off so you can inspect the brake assembly. Just make sure you dont hit the brakes or ebrake while the drum is off
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle

I looked at the brakes a week ago or so, to see if the shoe was jamming up, but it looked normal. I feel like its the shoe, but what do you do when it looks fine or even if it doesnt look good. Get new what?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Hmm are you sure the springs are tight enough?

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch

maker sure the pads are clean. when i first looked at mine they looked fine, but upon closer inspection, it had this sticky shit all over the shoe which was causing it to stick to the drum. I think it might have been grease or something and when it got hot it got sticky. :shrug:
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle

Ill check the stickyness tomorrow, and see if any springs are loose. I think one time i saw a kit somewhere that would replace all those parts except the drum and shoes. If you know what im talking about where could i get that. And the self adjuster spring wears out from heating/cooling, right?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

So the driver side was the dirty one. The shoe was sticky on the inside and outside, which you can see in the pictures.

There is something shreded. Im not sure what it is becasuse its so fine that it feels like hair.

Anybody seen this before?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 accord lxi hatchback

Your wheel cylinder is leaking, first. Second, the shred you see is shoe material. Replace the shoes, wheel cylinders and springs. Ask for a "hardware kit" at napa or any good auto parts store. Get a can or two of spray brake cleaner. Put some cardboard down before you make mess. Do one side at a time so you can compare. Get your drums turned or replaced. That should solve your problem.
    Best Price on Clutch Repair in the Tri-Valley

http://www.trivalleyclutch.com/3gparts

OEM quality parts for your 3Gee

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Just want to add a little something to this thread. There are wheel cylinder overhaul kits which are cheaper than the whole assembly, but would require honing out the wheel cylinder if needed. Springs can be reused also, but if you have the money, replace them.
    Also, it is good to put anti-seeze on the pads where it contacts the backing plate. (keeps it from squeeking).
    Pay attention when taking them off & use every C-clip in the right place. Adjust the tension before putting on the drum. Bleed the brakes in the following order.
    1- rear right: 2- rear left
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 12-03-2005 at 06:32 AM.

Vehicle

I finally fixed my brakes the other weekend. After scraping the stickey stuff off with a puddy knife the wheels moved freely untill i could replace them. I went to autozone and bought new drums, all new shoes, one wheel cylinder (not the rebuild kit for a wheel cylinder), brake grease, and brake fluid. It was around $90. Replacing the parts was pretty easy and i have never done it before. If you ever replace your rear brakes remember to screw the auto adjust screw to make it as short as possible so that pulling the whole thing off is easier.

It fixed a squeak i had in the rear for the past 50,000 miles also. And if you replace your rear brakes and the brake pedal travels much further than it did before the self adjusting screw will fix that. It self asjust when you back up and press the brakes. That took about a week for them to become normal for my car.

Thanks for the help guys.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 LX Sedan, 1989 LX-i Sedan (Parts Car)

When I do brake jobs for friends, I go down a couple blocks backwards just speeding up and stopping to adjust the brakes correctly. Neighbors probably think Im a friggin nut except the one motorhead about four houses down that asked if I just put new brakes in. Said yeah, he then knew that I was forcing the brakes to adjust out. Something my dad taught me many years ago when I first started turning wrenches..
    View my Image Gallery
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500
    2000 Dodge Ram 1500
    1996 Acura Integra GSR VTEC (GONE)

MY 3G UPDATE THREAD