Thread: tie rods.....

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

tie rods.....

I am replacing my inner and outer tie rods and I was wondering if anyone had a "how to" on doing them. I have a buddy who is helping me and he has done tie rods on other cars but a walk through would be a big help.
    my new car.....

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: tie rods.....

Outerends are pretty easy. Loosen the jam nut thats against the tierod and unthread them. The rod comes outta the steering arm using a puller or a pickle fork.

You will mostlikly need an alignment. The tierods adjust your toe settings.

Inners I have never messed with. As long as your boots OK they should be too.

wp

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda SE-i

I am in the process of changing my outer tie rod ends. I got the drivers side changed and I am having a hell of a tme with the passenger side. I cannot get the jam nut loose that's butted againstthe tie rod. I've soaked with thing with wd40 and torqued on till I'm white in the face. Would heating the nut be a bad idea? I can see corrosion on it, almost like the rust mended it together over the years. Any other sugestions or would heating it be fine?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

you can heat it.

try not to get it cherry red at first. heat than let it cool and it should bust free. lotsa penatrating oil.

wp

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Propane torch it. Worse case scenerio, hit it with a big pipe wrench with lots of leverage.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 01-30-2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spl.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX

dont mean to hijack the thread, but instead of posting another thread:

When I shake either tire back and forth (3 and 9) while the car is on the ground, the passenger side makes a click when i shake it a medium amount and the driver side makes a click if i shake the absolute crap out of it

is that tie rods or do they do that normally if u shake them quite a bit
    (cant get traction anymore on launch, plus mostly on a hard turn or even a regular speed turn my car will deviate from the circle like it loses traction, feels like i hit ice mid turn and on launch all the time)
    Last edited by T-Funk; 02-01-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by T-Funk
    dont mean to hijack the thread, but instead of posting another thread:

When I shake either tire back and forth (3 and 9) while the car is on the ground, the passenger side makes a click when i shake it a medium amount and the driver side makes a click if i shake the absolute crap out of it

is that tie rods or do they do that normally if u shake them quite a bit
    (cant get traction anymore on launch, plus mostly on a hard turn or even a regular speed turn my car will deviate from the circle like it loses traction, feels like i hit ice mid turn and on launch all the time)

Standard front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car until the one tire is off the ground. The other tire must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints and upper links.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop looseness while prying.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

try it this way and see what you get. if the tie rods are original good chance there worn out.

wp

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX

ive done that tons to diagnose every ball joint and control arm on the car that went bad
    i was just wondering if there was ANY give in the tie rods whatsoever or if i shouldnt be able to move anything at all

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by T-Funk
    ive done that tons to diagnose every ball joint and control arm on the car that went bad
    i was just wondering if there was ANY give in the tie rods whatsoever or if i shouldnt be able to move anything at all

I would answer then 0 play is acceptable since that how they are new. Make sure the steering wheel isnt moving when you checking stuff. That might be the clicking your hearing.

just changed mine 2 weeks ago.

wp

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX

thank you kindly sir

Vehicle
    1988 honda accord lx

this is kinda of a dumb question but what is the size of the tie rod what size wrench to ya use to hold it in place to get the jam nut off