Thread: New user, former 86 LX owner

Vehicle
    2004 Nissan Titan

New user, former 86 LX owner

Stumbled across this board looking for data on the 86-89 Accords. Anyways...my very first car was an 86 Accord LX 4dr 5MT.

I didn't have a car in high school, but I got a football scholarship to a junior college so my parents were able to buy me a car the week before my 20th birthday, since they had money saved up for my school that wasn't spent. This was in late October of 1990. My mom had an 88 Accord that we had purchased new in January of 88 and I knew I wanted one like it. We looked at Civics first though and didn't find anything of much interest. Plus they were too small for me, I am 6'7".

As luck would have it we stopped off at the Acura dealer on a whim. We told them we were looking at cars in the $2000-$3000 range and they lead us back to the 86 Accord. It was a bit more worn than my mom's still pristine 88, and had 116,384 miles on it (never gonna forget that part!). But we test drove it and I was hooked. They asked 5500 for it. My dad wouldn't budge. We walked out the door for $4000 plus TT&L for a 4 year old Accord. I was estatic.

I soon found out that it was owned by an oil field services company and that it had been driven to oil wells and most definitely offroad. It had also had marginal maintenance, as evidenced by the brown coolant, rough idle, hot running and other malaises. A tune up, a coolant flush and a new theromstat resolved the running problems. A set of shocks all around firmed up the ride, and a CV boot was replaced. This turned out to be a pretty good car for me. A fuel pump failure did leave me stranded once, and I fought overheating problems most of the time that I owned the car, which included even one radiator replaceement, but no bother, I still took it cross country a few times.

I kept this car for 7 years, finally selling it in 1997 with 258,000 miles. Even afterwards I continued to see the car around town. The new owner smoked the (by then marginal) clutch but after fixing that I kept seeing it all over the place. Good times.

I have many fond memories of the places that this car took me.

For a brief time after my divorce in 2000 I also took possession of my mom's 88, which at that time had about 210K on it. I ended up giving it to my cousin who was then enrolled in college. That one ended up making about 240K before electrical and transmission problems did it in. It probably would have lasted longer in my care; she did NOT take care of it or do any maintenance.

So anyways I find this site to be of great interest. I did a lot of major work on the Accords so maybe I can be of assistance to the 3G members here in the future!

regards,
    Brons2

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

Re: New user, former 86 LX owner

cool another member that actually had the car when it was semi new.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD! maybe you can look for another 3g just so you can actually "joing the club" lol

Vehicle
    2004 Nissan Titan

Yeah, when we bought my mom's 88 LX I was a junior in high school. It was brand spanking new on the dealer lot. I am very tall as mentioned in my other post, so my mom took me along with her to try out various cars since my dad is also tall but worked evenings. Her original intention was the Civic but it really didn't fit me at all, at least in the 88 vintage. We drove a midnight blue Accord at the first dealership. I was extremely impressed and I got to drive it as well, much to the chagrin of the sales person. We didn't agree on a price there, so we kept looking.

Went to the Honda dealer in the next town over on a Saturday. Drove a maroon 88 LX. I again got to participate in the test drive. They gave us $1100 off of sticker on that one, so we ended up driving it home :-). Drive out price was $12,900, sticker was $14,000. Both figures approximate, and I have more than doubled my age since then as I have just turned 35.

It would be cool to pick up a used 3g, as my Titan burns a ton of gas! I get about 14.5-15.5 mpg commuting to work and back. Although, I love what happens when you romp the pedal in it. 379 lb-ft of torque is fantastic! In a Honda, torque is based on the RPM of the motor. In the Titan, torque is based (pretty much) on the position of your foot. There is always torque available no matter the RPM.

Anyways, a guy I know at work has done just that. He has a 2002 GMC Sierra with the 5.3. He picked up a used 3G that was wrecked by a friend's daughter. He said he paid $600 for it and ended up sawing off the front subframe and welding on another! Pretty soon he says he'll be bringing it to work. Good times.
    Last edited by Brons2; 12-24-2005 at 08:37 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

cool, take some pictures of it and post them up here, but first point him to this site!

Vehicle
    1991 Civic STD

welcome to the board, man
    i look forward to your input!
    Last edited by speedpenguin; 12-25-2005 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo

Of course I'm lazy. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have gotten a DSM
    Daily Drivers Done Right

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

welcome to 3geez

i am a month older then are 3gee i was born in june of 87 and ares was built in july of 87 (LX) it has million km's on it. it sure has been on lots of trips from the back roads of guatamala to the salty streets of winterpeg the the graval roads of northern manitoba and even submerged twice and still keeps going

welcomes your knowlig of these cars to the comunity

good luck on geting another one.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

jeez ur old lol... j/k bro welcome to the site...