Thread: performance braking question

Vehicle
    2 x 1989 Honda Accord Aerodeck 2,0i Exclusive Edition(lather, and one with A/C)

performance braking question

Hi there,
    All of Us know that We can buy performance rotors for our cars, and pads, but what about the calipers ?
    all can we get that is a bolt on lxi's front cali...?

Did someone ever ask Honda Dealer for the calliper from JDM B20A car ?
    I'm talking about the double piston cali:
    45210-SE0-936 and 45230 .....
    I think that the brake pump is a bit different 46100-SE3-023 too.

have a nice ride
    P|eszczoH

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

Re: performance braking question

first check out the how to, this has been gone over and I doubt on the B20 calipers through a US dealership. https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=119

Once you look over that then start looking for whats in your price range for brakes. Fastbrakes.com has the best prices I found on willwood kits and wheels designed to work with the calipers. Our just go with the big brake kits and stock calipers. I went with bigger rotors front and back with stock calipers and it got me stopping in the 120-130" area. (stock is 185" depending on year/model)
    Last edited by Justin86; 12-25-2005 at 05:41 PM.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    2 x 1989 Honda Accord Aerodeck 2,0i Exclusive Edition(lather, and one with A/C)

I've read all that I've found about brakes, big brakes kits and so on, but I've never found info about those calipers are they or are they not to be bought.
    Thats why I've asked about it....
    The second thing, When You look where I am from, You will see that any parts from USA for me, are a little bit to far, or the shippment is a bit high,
    so fastbrakes.com are rather not for me.... and that is a shame :/

also big brakes kit means that You heve to do custom mounting for calipers,
    and that is a bit of a hard job to do.

any way, You said that You've gone with bigger rotors, how big and stock cali ? and what pads do you use? also stock ?

have a nice ride
    P|eszczoH

Accord of the Year - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by P|eszczoH
    Hi there,
    All of Us know that We can buy performance rotors for our cars, and pads, but what about the calipers ?
    all can we get that is a bolt on lxi's front cali...?
    Did someone ever ask Honda Dealer for the calliper from JDM B20A car ?
    I'm talking about the double piston cali:
    45210-SE0-936 and 45230 .....
    I think that the brake pump is a bit different 46100-SE3-023 too.
    I know the b20 dual piston calipers use the same pad as the 86-87 accord calipers which are slightly smaller than the 88-89 calipers of the lxi.

You can definately buy them from junkyards.

I bought me a set of 2 piston calipers off a 89 jdm b20 accord only to find out they wouldnt fit my 89 lxi hubs. They do fit all the 86-87 accords and 88-89 dx's and lx's.

I still have them and am willing to sell for 200.00 shipped anywhere in the U.S.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

The problem with the dual piston calibers though are that they use the smaller 242mm 86-87 brake disc, whereas the regular 88-89 brakes use a larger 262mm brake disc. So using the dual piston calibers limits you to a smaller disc...

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Accord of the Year - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane
    The problem with the dual piston calibers though are that they use the smaller 242mm 86-87 brake disc, whereas the regular 88-89 brakes use a larger 262mm brake disc. So using the dual piston calibers limits you to a smaller disc...
    That is correct

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I bolted a Intergra type R caliper to out knuckle. Problem is I used the intergra bracket as well. so it stands out for the larger Type R rotor.

Anyway, the bore of the caliper is the same as our's. 2.250" i think it measured.

If I think of it I'll try it on out on our bracket but I think the bolt pattern on the caliper is bigger.

wp

Vehicle
    88 LXi

http://www.craftsandcats.com/brakes.html

here's a few picutres of the Type R caliper and bracket.

I have not tried the Type R caliper on our brackets my jack kinda died so I'm out of commision for the time being.

wp

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

Whats so good about the type r caliper????
    I can't read the signature rules so MrBen deleted my signature.

Vehicle

they look a lot like the SE-i calipers and if they are the same bore I bet they offer the same performance too. But all civic/teg front calipers have the same bolt pattern as us, the rears are about a 1/2" wider.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Bglad420
    Whats so good about the type r caliper????
    Alone nothing. but with an 11" rotor it would provide a slight braking upgrade and you would be able to use very popular pads(503's) made for an Integra Type R. If the bore is the same pedal feel would be equal all things considered.

wp

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

Quote Originally Posted by Justin86
    they look a lot like the SE-i calipers and if they are the same bore I bet they offer the same performance too. But all civic/teg front calipers have the same bolt pattern as us, the rears are about a 1/2" wider.
    so umm... all integra and civic front calipers have the same bolt pattern? is that applicable to bigger calipers? like endless, wilwood, brembo, etc.? and is that for the 86-87, or the 88-89? not that that matters. and what about the rear calipers? i'm lookin to drop a wad of cash on some go fast parts.. want to make sure that i can stop just as fast, and i've already got the 17"s to fit a biger brake kit. would you need to change the control arms? or the prop valves? master cyl? just curious.
    "choose the form of the destructor"
    find the car here:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sofaking_bob

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking_bob
    so umm... all integra and civic front calipers have the same bolt pattern? is that applicable to bigger calipers? like endless, wilwood, brembo, etc.? and is that for the 86-87, or the 88-89? not that that matters. and what about the rear calipers? i'm lookin to drop a wad of cash on some go fast parts.. want to make sure that i can stop just as fast, and i've already got the 17"s to fit a biger brake kit. would you need to change the control arms? or the prop valves? master cyl? just curious.
    yea they are all the same bolt pattern and everything pretty much, they only difference is the caliper spacing. Longer bolts and a few spacers solve that very quick. So yea the kick ass brake kits for the civic and teg will work with us with some very easy changes, and I do have my eyes set on a 4 psiton willwood kit. You will want to have 88-89 LX-i/Se-i master cylinder and prop. valve along with the hubs. The 86-87 brake mount on the hub is about 1/2 is lower then what is needed, unless you get special mounts made. Like a said before, there is a how to on this.

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

That's awesome, I was looking into wilwoods also. I'm getting all of the rear disc brake pieces together right now, and getting the front hubs from the 89' as well. I'm just holding out on the rotors and calipers, cause the folks around here are crazy and want like $250 a piece for rear calipers. That and i'm going to replace both the rotors and the calipers with upgraded versions if possible and I'm trying to keep this performance minded as well as frugal. So if I go rear drum brake to a rear 10" disc, with a dual piston caliper, then yay! I've got the rear control arms and hubs off a junkyard find, the calipers were already gone, but someone left the rotors???, I bought the master cylinder on-line.. I think at rock auto, but I'm not sure, I got it before my car died, like 6 months ago. I checked out some dealer prices on the prop valve and they're damn proud of those things, one wanted $180 plus core charge of $50, plus shipping. Wilwood makes an adjustable one for like $40, but you've gotta change from a diagonal setup... I'm wandering off subject. Thanks for the info Justin, now I just need about 300 paychecks in advance.
    find the car here:

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b

Just another hybrid thought real quick off the draw... Earlier it was said that the JDM dual piston from a b20'd car could be used on our cars, but only in conjuntcion with the smaller rotor from the 86-87 lx-i, dx, etc.

Something like 10.3" or something, and I looked up the AEM big brake kit and it's like 12" in the front, but no measurement for the back. I also looked up the stock 90-01 integra rear caliper and it's 9.25", so if the AEM kit is one inch bigger... then would the JDM dual piston work as a rear caliper?

That would just be too badass.

I've read on here that you can make a legend or an NSX front caliper work with some slight modifications, and that they should work well with the AEM kits also.

If this is possible it would seem to make for a relatively cheap, and excellent braking setup for our cars. I don't think that anyone on here really needs 6 piston caliper or a gran turismo big brake kit from brembo. Unless you just like the bling, and you've got $3500 to spend on brakes.
    find the car here: