Thread: temperature gauge location? (PLEASE LOOK AT THIS PIC))

Vehicle
    1988 accord LX-I

coolant temperature SENSOR location? need help! (PLEASE LOOK AT THIS PIC))

ok..
    i have this problem lately. my temperature needle shoots up to hot as soon as i start my car. the engine IS NOT running hot! which one of these in the pic are the temp control sensor? the new sensor i bought will fit on both of the plugs! (green one and black one) what size is the nut (20mm,22mm)
    my car is a '88 lx-i fuel injected.
    i changed out the other piece in pic and bled the system well. still having the same problem. any help would be great.
    Last edited by detroit313; 01-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

Re: temperature gauge location? (PLEASE LOOK AT THIS PIC))

the black sensor is temp sensor. that is for your ECU.
    the green one is temp switch. you can try replacing it.
    make sure you order the right one. one will say switch (green one) and the other would say sensor (black one).

PS. you need 17mm to get the black sensor off.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1988 accord LX-I

thanks a lot! i couldnt find anything in my chiltons book,its very vauge and there are no pics/illistrations!
    im gonna get that done now.........i really appreciate the reply!

Vehicle
    1980 Porsche 928

the one that says new that has 1 wire is the temp gauge sending unit,, if that wire is grounded anywhere it will make the gauge shoot up to hot as soon as you put key on,,,,,,,,,i have seen a lot of bad gauges in the instr cluster cause the problem you are having ..
    You neee to chk to make sure that the yellow/green wire for the sending unit is not grounded .. if it is not , you need a gauge ,, if it is fix the wire ..

DX User

Re: coolant temperature SENSOR location? need help! (PLEASE LOOK AT THIS PIC))

Quote Originally Posted by detroit313
    ok..
    i have this problem lately. my temperature needle shoots up to hot as soon as i start my car. the engine IS NOT running hot! which one of these in the pic are the temp control sensor? the new sensor i bought will fit on both of the plugs! (green one and black one) what size is the nut (20mm,22mm)
    my car is a '88 lx-i fuel injected.
    i changed out the other piece in pic and bled the system well. still having the same problem. any help would be great.
    there is also a ground wire for the dash it hangs under the intake check that also it might be lose

DX User

well is actually making mine instead of shooting hot it stay in cold nothing is grounded..

what can be wrong

DX User

Im also having the same problem. I have already replaced the gauge still no luck my gauge is still pegging out as soon as i turn on the car. any sug.....

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

dont know what could make that go wrong on the malfuntioning gauge. as for being cold all the time, your thermostat could possibly be stuck open. in that case you'd want to just replace it. mine did that for a long time when i was using a Motorad Fail safe one. those are crap get stuck open on our cars for some reason. anyway i really couldnt think of what could make the gauge go to hot, but its getting a false signal of some sort. and you said you replaced the gauge once and still shows its hot? if i think of something i'll tell ya.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

this is PROBABLY NOT the fix... but here is something i know happened to a 3geez member:

low_tek experience this same problem when the ground wire from his valve cover was not grounded to the chassis....

NOTE: when my ground wire from valve cover to chassis is missin, my car wont even start!

worth double checking though, since it would only take 3 seconds to look!

In your photo, it is number 2 that is the coolant temp (TW) sensor. It has nothing to do with the gauge, though. It sends a variable resistance signla to the ECU for control of idle mixture. Item number 1 is the thermo switch that sends a signal to the ECU to turn on the secondary cooling fan for 15 minutes if the engine is above a certain temp (225 degrees, I think) after it is shut off. It is the item you have marked as "new" that connects to your temp gauge.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat

If the item marked as NEW fails, you will get a Hot reading. Just replace it and it should be fine.