Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap big brake option 1997 Acura Type R brakes

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Cheap big brake option 97(Type R brakes)

I'm going to necro this because I was reading this https://honeddevelopments.com/honed-...n-and-install/
    I knew porsche brakes were a popular upgrade for 88-00 civics, the parts are outlined better here: https://honeddevelopments.com/produc...-mounting-kit/ or maybe this one https://honeddevelopments.com/produc...-mounting-kit/ 986 Boxster calipers and R53 Mini Cooper S JCW rotors
    Fastbrakes is now selling the itr kit for $550, these brackets are $200 plus the calipers and rotors, depending on caliper price it could be similarly priced, but way better performance.
    Im trying to figure out which bracket is needed, I read through this really quick, but did the itr calipers physically bolt on to the knuckle? Do the DX/LX and LXi/SEi have the same knuckles? Did the 4mm spacer space the caliper towards the rotor or away? If it spaces it towards it then there might be an issue getting these to work, but maybe not.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Cheap big brake option 1997 Acura Type R brakes

I updated this with a video on the first post and an observation by me on the rotors Im using currently.

If you use the actually Type R rotor and drill the bolt pattern yourself the hub registration is 71mm not the Accord 64mm.

I am pretty sure the Fastbrake rotors are the 64mm hub register.

I havent had a problem with this setup this way.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I updated this with a video on the first post and an observation by me on the rotors Im using currently.

If you use the actually Type R rotor and drill the bolt pattern yourself the hub registration is 71mm not the Accord 64mm.

I am pretty sure the Fastbrake rotors are the 64mm hub register.

I havent had a problem with this setup this way.
    Yeah I would want to know what the mini Cooper measurements are because they are the same diameter and bolt size so unlike using type R's there is no drilling required they will bolt right onto the Accord a lot of people use the Mini Cooper rotors for this reason plus you can just buy them off the shelf.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by obd0driver View Post
    Yeah I would want to know what the mini Cooper measurements are because they are the same diameter and bolt size so unlike using type R's there is no drilling required they will bolt right onto the Accord a lot of people use the Mini Cooper rotors for this reason plus you can just buy them off the shelf.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...A3S1JKDpgwS%2F
    There you go

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Well in 2006 there werent any mini coopers but a long time ago I looked and some setups and the mini is taller and thinner. it might fit under a 15" rim I dunno. I think thats the rotor the Honda Fit guys use.

The next step for me is fixed caliper setup. I want to prove you can run it on a non ABS car.,stay with 15" rims for one more setup before I goto 17's.

Thanks for looking.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Yes, they are 11mm larger in diameter and 1mm thinner. They are also 4mm shorter measured from the hub surface, so the mini caliper might actually be a better fit. You could probably use either rotor, but with a Porsche caliper I don't see any reason it wouldn't fit under most 15"s

And the mini is a 2001 model lol so no excuses

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

https://honeddevelopments.com/wp-con...orsche-kit.jpg

I am curious if dimension A is true on your knuckles Oldblue, that would confirm that any brake for a civic should be compatible with our accords, so long as you have the parts for your respective OE rotor size. I have the 9.5" rotors and ofc they don't tell you what the measurement should be. Maybe I cross referenced parts a long time ago to confirm that they work, but that would just make it double sure.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    https://honeddevelopments.com/wp-con...orsche-kit.jpg

I am curious if dimension A is true on your knuckles Oldblue, that would confirm that any brake for a civic should be compatible with our accords, so long as you have the parts for your respective OE rotor size. I have the 9.5" rotors and ofc they don't tell you what the measurement should be. Maybe I cross referenced parts a long time ago to confirm that they work, but that would just make it double sure.
    I mean, I have type r front calipers on 89 lxi knuckles, and the bolted up no problem, so I can confirm that type r/gsr are stuff that would fit. That means all the stuff for EG/DC/CRV/TL Porsche stuff would work as long as you have 88-89 knuckles because those all fit similarly. I've also put EF civic spindles on the accord they fit as well. The problem there is the knuckles are a bit taller, so the car looks like its monster trucking

Last edited by obd0driver; 03-14-2023 at 05:26 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I hope this answers some of your alls questions.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

That does answer my question about the kits made for other cars bolting up in the intended position on our knuckles, I'd say it's pretty likely, even for the 9.5" cars. However, I now understand your spacer and the problem with our hubs. The accords have about 4mm deeper rotors than most other Hondas. My 9.5s are 49mm where a civic is 45mm.

With that I would say Porsche calipers and mini rotors are out of the question, unless the Porsche calipers stick out much further towards the wheel, which isn't good if you want to fit it behind 15"s. I never really liked the option because the calipers are really hard to find now.

It would be cool to find a radial mount kit, but taking what I can find, I am pretty interested in this fast brakes kit:
    https://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p...ivic-11-4e.htm
    It sounds like it's using the 120-6805 caliper and integra rotors. That being said there is room for a substantial rotor upgrade, up to 1" thick. Unfortunately, I can't find many 1" rotors that come in an 11" diameter. Funnily enough, if you were to take Wildwoods 11" kits which use a 16.75mm hat on a 20.5mm (.81in) thick rotor and sub in a 1" rotor, that would move the centerline of the rotor back about 2.5mm making them pretty close to fitting on an accord. They don't make the rotor though

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yeah I thought he had alot of great kits for the 9.5" rotor setup...I guess all those cheap ass Civics running around need real brakes.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Dude I just noticed the integra rear brakes I'm putting on are as big around as the fronts 🙃 they hurt to look at. This is the kind of thing that keeps my wallet empty

Vehicle
    88 LXi

They make brakes any smaller?? I think they call them drums!
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Smaller? I'm not trying to fit the biggest brakes possible under 13"s (actually that might literally be what is on my car) I've got 15x8 shoes Im trying to fill