Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap big brake option 1997 Acura Type R brakes

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Cheap big brake option 1997 Acura Type R brakes

This post is about using the 1997 -2001 Integra Type R front rotors, calipers,caliper brackets and pads. You will need to use 15" rims. I still use the stock caliper but any aftermarket caliper that bolts to the Type R should work as well. I did a info video below of this setup.

EDIT See post 24 has pictures updated. Post 1-18 are discussion posts for history.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-01-2022 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added pictures updated facts, edited the title

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

Re: Another big brake option

aren't the civic hubs different from us? and which 11" rotor are they talking about?
    Originally Posted by Justanothermike
    my A20 is not SLOW. ur A20 is slow.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Not really sure on any of it.

I might call them in a day or two since I need the 11" with the 4x 100 pattern they sell and there 40$ right now.

Maybe an E-mail to them would suffice.

Have you tried your set up out?

Im pretty sure im on myway with this
    http://www.craftsandcats.com/brakes.html dead link
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-29-2018 at 04:38 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Called Brian at fastbrakes today he's sending me the stuff out next week and I'll report back on whats up.

He and I felt we will need 4 mm spacers on the caliper bracket to make it work. He has them made up and is sending them also along with 11" Type R rotors redrilled to 4 x 100 pattern and some axxis pads to fit Type R calipers.

I'm not sure what the kit is he's selling for integras I asked but we got side tracked and I didn't remember his answer.

Im going to e-mail him as the out come so he can update his web-site accordingly.

He is also in the process of adding Ap racing and Brembo calipers as well.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-29-2018 at 04:38 AM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

so this is a front upgrade right?

any crazy ideas for the rear?
    Zeph Uusitalo
    Proof That Bike Carbs Work On An A20!
    Dyno'd the accord. It made 104HP 117TQ.... And blew smoke everywhere. I guess the 210K motor really is done

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord
    Not really sure on any of it.
    I might call them in a day or two since I need the 11" with the 4x 100 pattern they sell and there 40$ right now.
    Maybe an E-mail to them would suffice.
    Have you tried your set up out?
    Im pretty sure im on myway with this
    http://www.craftsandcats.com/brakes.html
    wp
    in those pics is that the type r caliper mounted to the accord? are those stock rotors? they look re-drilled.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Zufer
    so this is a front upgrade right?

any crazy ideas for the rear?
    yes. 1g legend coupe rears.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

well this could get interesting... do update us when this all pans out. (

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Strugglebucket
    in those pics is that the type r caliper mounted to the accord? are those stock rotors? they look re-drilled.
    Yes to the first

no to the second there stock 10.3" accord rotors on my car. See the rotor is too small on the pic where my fingers are.

Brian at fastbrakes is the OG of brake up grades . He started his buisness WWW.Fastbrakes.com 8 years ago now he does it full time.

It started with 11" type r for civics as an upgrade any one could do with junkyard parts.

I'm getting from him Type R rotors re drilled to the 4x100mm bolt pattern. I dont think they will have the 5 bolt pattern on them actually I believe he gets blanks and drills them him self.

Hopefully I'll get them by the end of the week or so. They were $45 a piece I think. Cheaper than I could find them new with the 5 bolt pattern. He sells them slotted /slotted drilled and cryo treated as well.

EDIT: I remember what he said about that 150$ I linked to on the first post. Its a spacer that goes behind the rotor to space it for the caliper.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-29-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

you said the integra hub had the same offset and caliper bracket positioning as the accord's, right? if that means the type r calipers and rotors(drilled 4x100) bolt up without any spacers...that would be baaaadass.

if it works, maybe you could get fastbrakes to sell it as a kit. where did you get the type r calipers and how much did they cost?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Not sure if the hub has the same off set

yes the caliper bolts up same as ours

the calipers i got from RockAuto I dont remember the price off hand but they were very cheap so I jumped on them. I m thinking they were $45 but the core was $30. There were "loaded" but when they showed up they only had the bracket no pads. When I rechecked the web-site they said "semi loaded" the bracket is like $12 I think from partsamerica.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-29-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

why not just use This along with the type R calipers and there you go. All the people using the big brake kit say that the civic rotors fit right onto our cars hub. I think this has already been asked, but did the type R caliper fit without any modification?
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

the rotors would fit on the hub, but the offset is different. so, you would still need an appropriate spacer for the caliper depending on which rotor/caliper combination you use. our car is kind of an oddball in that it has a deeper offset than all other hondas, except for some acuras.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    why not just use This along with the type R calipers and there you go. All the people using the big brake kit say that the civic rotors fit right onto our cars hub. I think this has already been asked, but did the type R caliper fit without any modification?
    That might be an option. I think from what Struggle and I have figured out the corrado rotors are the same as the intergra type r as far as depth. Its the corrodo like gti, the SC one from the 80's. Very rare expensive rotor, I was not able to get a set from the parts places.

But yes the civic rotor fits, its the placement of the caliper that throws the whole thing off.

our rotor overall height is 51.2 mm.

The Type R/Prelude is 47.1mm.

The standard Integra/civic is 44.6mm.

Nuff of a difference that the caliper bracket hits the rotor.

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project

I thought the accords front calipers where just as big as the typer calipers? I wanna get this kit but I would like to stick to using my LX-i calipers cause I already have the EBC pads and stainless lines for them...also what kinda price did he give you for this setup if you dont mind me asking
    Last edited by wprocomp; 01-10-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

well the fastbrake kit is a 4 piston willwood caliper.

Have any of you guys read the how do on civic brake swap??? I did it and so has a couple other people have, all of this has been figured out. Check out the How-to on it.

That is a very good site, I have had it booked marked for quite some time now.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

well try to log in with out problems:

No part yet so I dont have anything to add atm.

As far as the civic kit I asume you mean the AEM kit. What I 'm working on is something thats a little less than that kit as far as price. I want something anyone can do them selves with OEM /junkyard parts.

EDIT: I think the AEM/powerslot kit would be and upgarde to this. But the price of replacement rotors is high and not alotta places have them. Plus for me i want to keep my 15" wheels.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-17-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Well made the mock up and everything looks good. Brian was right need a 4 mm spacer to make it work. Problem being he didn't send them so I made some up.

I'm lacking one more caliper and the bolts should really be about 5 mm longer so I'm close but not there yet. Cant wait.

I updated the link above the last picture is the space that the spacers take up.

EDIT: Picture link is updated with the spacers. better pictures of the spacer needed and where it goes.

i added yellow paint to it to highlight it better

and the size itself 1 3/4" x 3/4" with a 14 mm clearance hole about 4mm thick or .155"
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-29-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by wprocomp
    I thought the accords front calipers where just as big as the typer calipers? I wanna get this kit but I would like to stick to using my LX-i calipers cause I already have the EBC pads and stainless lines for them...also what kinda price did he give you for this setup if you dont mind me asking
    Ok i checked it out and the Type R caliper mounting ears are much farther apart. Keep checking that link and Ill try to have a picture uploaded on it. Also the type r brake pad is a little bit bigger. I think on EBC they have the specs. Its a D503 pad where ours is the D409. Sorry it took so long to get back too you I had to check it myself before I answered.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-17-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

This is just a bump to the top.

I added a few x-tra pictures etc. Setup works well and is easy to set up and service. There was something else I was gonna add but I got interupted and its lost in my mind atm.

Spacer goes behind the caliper bracket not the caliper I think I had said that incorrectly in another post I cant find. So once it one there you dont need to worry about it again.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-17-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

more pics please. has this project been finished? I must know how it worked out.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Been there done it I even got the T-shirt. I think I have about 20k miles on it but I dont keep good mileage records any more. The pads are down past 50% and really they stop very well. The Axxis pads have cut into the rotors over all but cleanly. There is a slight lip on the outer edge where the pads does not touch.

I switched out those little spacers I made first for a continous "bracket" kinda like a dogbone but theres no differance from the spacers at all.

So I accomplished what I wanted in the first place and have not warped any rotors since I switched over.

I don't think I have any other pictures but I will mass up what I have in a better form. You are actually the first person that has shown any interest since I first posted it.

In the future I am thinking about trying the 11.8" legend rotors. I don't think they will fit under a 15" wheel without some caliper grinding at the very least. I might call Brian at Fastbrakes and see what he says.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-17-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

I was talking with him a while back myself and we decided that for a few extra $$ I could have the 4pot wilwoods adapted the front AS WELL as the rears. Thus making it a wilwood kit on all 4 corners. the front kit was $586 plus shipping for 4 pots with 12.2" rotors and $856 for the 6 pots and both are loaded. The rear kit was I think like just under $1000 and the cost was because you have to buy a new style caliper that allows for the parking brake. You also have to swap out the disc for a vented style and have adapters made up. I never got around to sending him the pieces he needed for a mockup but was planning it.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Heres my parts list its pretty up to date:

1998 ACURA INTEGRA TYPE-R L4 1.8 Liter FI

Integra Type R brake calipers:

Hard to link to partamerica so put in these parameters.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...ag=0&st=2&so=0

1998 ACURA INTEGRA TYPE-R L4 1.8 Liter FI

zip code: 37922

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...ag=0&st=2&so=0

Rotors:

Fastbrake redrilled 4x100 mm rotor 53$ 2023 price.

Fastbrakes SpecR Integra/Civic EX/Civic Si 11" PLAIN rotor

Or buy blanks and redrill them your self.

Brakes and Rotors | Brake Kits | Brake Lines & Fluid

Rotor dimensions are:

282mm 47.1mm 23 mm thick

Brake Pads:

D503 pads

Axxis Ultimates

Brakes and Rotors | Brake Kits | Brake Lines & Fluid

EBC green stuff

http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_i...products_id=32

Longer caliper bracket bolts: 30mm length.

Need longer 14mm bolts. The head will be 19 mm instead of the Honda 17mm. make sure the bolts are long enough to go thru the bracket but not too long to touch the rotor face. I also used a lock washer as well.

Spacers:

Made from 1” x .250” flat stock. 1 3/4" x 3/4" with a 14 mm clearance hole about 4mm thick or .155"

This setup is working great getting time for new brake pads and tires but no rotor warpage at all so far. I am very happy.

I changed over to a solid bracket just to see if there was any difference with the brake feel but I have not felt any. It was a little more work but is still something you could make with a 4" grinder and a 1/2 drill.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 07-29-2018 at 04:50 AM. Reason: updated
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Well went with new rotors new pads last weekend. Rotors finally did warp out about a month or 2 ago. Pads were 40% usable but I replaced them of course. Pretty happy made it 3.5 years no warpage. Wish I kept track of the mileage better But I think I got 30K miles or more.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-17-2016 at 10:16 PM.
    Now running E85.