Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to swap in a b series without a kit..pics inside

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: How to swap in a b series without a kit..pics inside

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    Problem is with everyone making their own mounts. One person could have their engine shifted over a 1/4" or something so the axles for one person won't work for them.
    Thats what gets me... it's like why not fit the axles first then the engine... or at least an axle on one side... then you can work it out from there with mounting positions and the other axle
    - llia

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    Purdy rear mount you got there accordtheory.
    Very impressive.
    Thanks..

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    Thats what gets me... it's like why not fit the axles first then the engine... or at least an axle on one side... then you can work it out from there with mounting positions and the other axle
    I think the engine kind of just ends up where it ends up. I mean, you start out with the driver's side mount to set the height, side to side and tilt angle, and then you basically just try to keep it straight and level while you do the other mounts. You won't have that much adjustability with side to side or front to back because the driver's side mount hits the block bracket if you try to go too far to the driver's side, and the tranny hits the chassis if you try to go the other way. We're talking about like 1/4" here. Same with front to back, I have about 1/8" of an inch between part of the back of my tranny and the rear crossmember, and you can't really adjust that unless you want to have your drivetrain not be parallel in the engine bay, since the driver's side mount has already located that side of the engine. I still wish I had the pri axles though, then I would have made damn sure the engine/tranny was located properly for them.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    are those lengths with the axles compressed all the way?
    The autozone in my town is always busy as f, I doubt they'd want to have customers lined up for like half an hour while they try to find me axles..maybe I'll try carquest or napa..
    but damn, now I don't even have cores, I just have new integra axles, there's no way I'm going to trade them in..
    So what are we looking at anyway? d series civic, older prelude, but no integra, or f22/h22 prelude/accord..? Not a lot of options here, the civic/crx/del sol/integra 90-93/94-01 basically the same shit, right? At least with a b series..I assume people use the integra axles with a swap into any of those chassis, so with that chassis, the stock d series axles are the only ones to look at..?
    What do the the crv front axles look like?
    Why don't the integra axles work anyway? Does the integra have a different track width/distance between the spindles than the 3g?
    Well I already checked all the d-series and the only one that migh work on the passenger side is the 86-89 integra. All the other d-series are the exact same size as the 90-93 integra (i dident check the drivers side, because I think they are one solid axle like the 3g accord ones). The next cars we need to start checking is all the accord and prelude. I checked one from a 92 accord and the length was good, but the spindle looked to thick. When people swap the motors into civic they use the integra axles, because they are a little beefer. I dident even think about the CRV, I bet those axles are similar to what we need considering the width of the chassie and the placement of the motor. I will have to go check it out and see whats going on. You should try your axles in your car, before you go buying anything else, because you motor looks like it sits in the car a little different then mine.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    I checked one from a 92 accord and the length was good, but the spindle looked to thick.

You should try your axles in your car, before you go buying anything else, because you motor looks like it sits in the car a little different then mine.
    That's what I thought too, that the f22/h22 axles had bigger ends..

Yeah, definitely will try my axles out before I buy anything else..I still have to get the damn knuckles and get my brakes together though..man, I have been Lagging on this car!

SEi User
    Vehicle

stupid double post..
    Last edited by Accordtheory; 03-06-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Vehicle

That's what I thought too, that the f22/h22 axles had bigger ends..
    Yeah, definitely will try my axles out before I buy anything else..I still have to get the damn knuckles and get my brakes together though..man, I have been Lagging on this car!

damnit man step into gear and get this shit done J/P . I know how it is, it took me a year and a half to get it done and I had the PRI kit.

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap

i work at advance auto parts so i can check axle lenghts one day, but the problem lies in the hub, if it fits or not. ill check all the teg, vigor, legend, civic, accord axils to see whats what
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SQ is the SQUAD
    i work at advance auto parts so i can check axle lenghts one day, but the problem lies in the hub, if it fits or not. ill check all the teg, vigor, legend, civic, accord axils to see whats what

that would be awsome. Even if you find one that is the right length but the hub dosent fit. write it down anyway there would not be to much trouble switching out the spline on the end.

SEi User
    Vehicle

are those lengths with the axles compressed all the way?
    sq, that would be Pimp shit if you could figure this axle bs out.

SEi User
    Vehicle

well, I Finally got my steering knuckles today, so hopefully I'll be test fitting some axles tomorrow..provided it isn't raining..

Vehicle

well, I Finally got my steering knuckles today, so hopefully I'll be test fitting some axles tomorrow..provided it isn't raining..

good stuff, can't wait to see what happens G/L .

SEi User
    Vehicle

well, all I got done was installing the knuckles/brakes and test fitting the driver's side teg axle, which was a couple inches too short..

Vehicle

well, all I got done was installing the knuckles/brakes and test fitting the driver's side teg axle, which was a couple inches too short..

Well that means the Passenger side is going to be to long . I am going to find a factory application for this swap.

SEi User
    Vehicle

well, I'm about to go check out the passenger side axle, but I was thinking for the driver's side, take the slightly longer passenger side 3g axle and put the integra intermediate shaft end on it, provided the cv tripod thing is the same size..
    Only problem is, like a dumbass, I sold my old accord axles..

SEi User
    Vehicle

..and yes, the integra passenger side axle is too long..I can only push it in about 1/4" at the spindle end with the axle nut off before it bottoms out..

Vehicle

..and yes, the integra passenger side axle is too long..I can only push it in about 1/4" at the spindle end with the axle nut off before it bottoms out..

Damn I just finished swapping a motor into my brothers 3g , my B-swap went ten times fast then that did. I did find something kinda odd though. My engine code just said NT not a20 WTF is that about . Ok back on subject we might have to look at brands other then honda for our axles. I am sure there has to be an axles that will work. I noticed Haspot makes a b-swap kit for a 1g teg and it comes with custom axles. I wonder if that would help us?
    Last edited by Legend_master; 03-10-2006 at 05:29 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle

the pri axles are D 24 7/8" and P 23 3/4"? Well, I just measured the stock 90-93 teg axles, and they came out at 23 1/2. Yet the passenger side is too long, wtf. In the book, the teg length is listed as 24".

I just spent about 2 hours trying to find suitable axles at kragen and carquest. No success. I think the closest might be the old civic 4wd axles, as weird as that might be. I was unable to find a book that listed length alongside the application, I had to keep going back between length, splines, etc and the applications to try to find the part #s..what a fucking pain. I need a drink.

SEi User
    Vehicle

I suppose one of us could ask hasport..

Vehicle
    88 LXi

the pri axles are D 24 7/8" and P 23 3/4"? Well, I just measured the stock 90-93 teg axles, and they came out at 23 1/2. Yet the passenger side is too long, wtf. In the book, the teg length is listed as 24".
    I just spent about 2 hours trying to find suitable axles at kragen and carquest. No success. I think the closest might be the old civic 4wd axles, as weird as that might be. I was unable to find a book that listed length alongside the application, I had to keep going back between length, splines, etc and the applications to try to find the part #s..what a fucking pain. I need a drink.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...+Front+-+Remfd

they list the lengths.

EDIT: lol it does but my link it doesnt go figure. www.napaonline.com

wp
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 03-10-2006 at 09:07 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Hatchback

I have an 89LXI hatchback and i also have a 95 integra GSR that recently was involved in an fender bender that was considered totalled but the front was un harmed. I need some helpfull info or some suggestions others my have concerning my B18C1 motor swap
    THANK, Barry

Vehicle
    89 LXI Coupe "Slighty Modified",,71 Chevelle,, 92 civic cx

Quote Originally Posted by Bac89LXI
    I have an 89LXI hatchback and i also have a 95 integra GSR that recently was involved in an fender bender that was considered totalled but the front was un harmed. I need some helpfull info or some suggestions others my have concerning my B18C1 motor swap
    THANK, Barry
    Do you have pics , i'd love to see that even though it's bashed a lil...My suggestion is that if it was only a fender bender like you say it was ,why not fix it.?

SEi User
    Vehicle

This is a little off the subject at hand, but I just have to say that my harness from rywire is one of the worst products I have ever paid for, and that says a lot. I've had to basically tear the Entire thing apart and put it back together, after paying over $300 for this shit. In addition to the ghetto drilling out of my old injector clips to fit, (instead of replacing them) and the wires from the extension harness coming out by the passenger headlight when they're supposed to go under the driver's seat, (!) the other wires are all the wrong lengths and come out at the wrong places too. My tps and map connectors don't even reach, for fuck's sake, and neither do the reverse light connectors and TW connector. The harness just looks like shit overall. The connectors that do reach either have way to much slack, or just barely reach. It's obvious that not only did these guys not have a 3g in front of them, they also didn't even take the time to fit the harness to a normal b series engine, or even try to copy the stock b series harness. There is also a wire that goes to nothing, it just ends in the branch that goes to the injectors/TA. I don't know what is up with that. And nowhere on the harness was any provision for securing itself to anything, so it would just flop around in my engine bay like a limp dildo.
    I told ryan from rywire (yeah, real clever name too, huh) about some of my problems, and he started weaseling out of any responsibility, but I didn't push him on it at all, I just said, it's up to you, but a partial refund would be just. I've already done like 37 solder joints over again..

..."37?!" -Clerks
    Last edited by Accordtheory; 03-11-2006 at 11:47 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Bac89LXI
    THANK, Barry
    here's a helpful suggestion, fix the integra or buy another one with the insurance money, fuck the 3g, it's not worth it to do the swap..

The only reason I'm doing this shit is I like to torture myself.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

The only reason I'm doing this shit is I like to torture myself.
    I can totaly realted to that. After a few yrs of nothing but custom work to get your car up to spec is very frustrating. Even though I love my car, if it ever got totaled I would probably be glad.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.