Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: How to swap in a b series without a kit..pics inside

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

Re: How to swap in a b series without a kit..pics inside

thats what im planning on getting too!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

What are the features that I won't be able to use without the vss? The only thing I can see myself wanting is gear based boost control..

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    What are the features that I won't be able to use without the vss? The only thing I can see myself wanting is gear based boost control..
    I know that full throttle launch and full throttle shifting require VSS signals to work. There are probaly more options that require it to.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

VTEC
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap

dont you mean VTECH
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by SQ is the SQUAD
    dont you mean VTECH
    yeah, that's it

SEi User
    Vehicle

vtec can be engaged regardless of vehicle speed with the programming..rpm dependent only..

but it doesn't matter anyway, I connected the output wire from the dash connector A2 to the wire from the speed sensor amplifier to the ecu, C1 at the back of the dash and no more code..

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

vtec can be engaged regardless of vehicle speed with the programming..rpm dependent only..
    but it doesn't matter anyway, I connected the output wire from the dash connector A2 to the wire from the speed sensor amplifier to the ecu, C1 at the back of the dash and no more code..
    Hehe, as you can tell I don't read every post. I was refering to a stock ECU setup. Good to hear you got the issue resolved tho.

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i

Can you explain this better? I have had this European B20 cluster sitting in my garage that I want to use. EVERYTIME I put it in I get a VSS Code and I cant rev over 7k. As soon as I put my stock unit back in, the car is fine.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

SEi User
    Vehicle

did you read my short thread about this? basically there is a circuit that modifies the output from the speed pulser and sends that to the ecu, what I did is bypass that in favor of the speed pulser output to the cruise control. You then connect a resistor between that and 12v so the signal goes in 0-12v pulses to the ecu.

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i

I'll check it out...thanks for the info
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

SEi User
    Vehicle

here a lousy pic of my newest mods, completed this morning..ebc yellow pads in the front, (88/89 brakes/spindles although my car is an 87) and new bilstein shocks valved to 375/120 front and 300/100 rear with sprint drop springs all around. Annoyingly, the car sits higher in the front due to the lighter b series motor..

Vehicle

here a lousy pic of my newest mods, completed this morning..ebc yellow pads in the front, (88/89 brakes/spindles although my car is an 87) and new bilstein shocks valved to 375/120 front and 300/100 rear with sprint drop springs all around. Annoyingly, the car sits higher in the front due to the lighter b series motor..

Looking good dude, I plan on rebulding my suspention this summmer. I will be going all out and replacig everything. So how does the car ride with those bilsteins? I am thinking about getting those for the rear, but I dont want to waist the cash if it is not worth it.

SEi User
    Vehicle

The front is too high, but the valving is fine as far as I can tell. Very controlled, dead feeling, no bounce. I can't say the same for the rear, unfortunately. It feels like it is contantly moving, and while I can't say exactly what it should feel like, it just doesn't feel stiff enough, in my opinion. I don't get it. Steve dx89 said he has the same combo and it is almost too stiff. However, the car does not rock when shifting, braking or cornering at all. Totally flat, like it should be. Ground controls are coming up..

SEi User
    Vehicle

Well, in my never ending quest to avoid breaking the law every day in the state of california, which I currently do, in a variety of different victimless ways, I took my car to the smog ref to get it inspected, and of course, failed. HC and nox emissions too high, and my idle wouldn't settle down enough for them to be able to check the timing. It also failed the visual due to me not paying the CARB $100,000 and getting and Exemption Order sticker on my intake tubing. Yes, that is how much the companies have to pay to be able to legally sell a part in cali. That is why there is only 1 legal aftermarket turbo kit available for the integra, made by Greddy. So now I have to get the cheapest possible legal intake, probably a used AEM shortram, which will actually make my shit run worse than factory or than with my own cobbled together CAI. The ref also wrote my shit down as a '94, although my motor is a b18A1. The CARB site has the b18a1 listed as a 94-01 motor, anyone who knows shit about hondas knows it is a 90-93 motor, the 94+ ls is a b18b. I told his dumb ass to put it down as a 93, but he didn't listen.

Vehicle

Well, in my never ending quest to avoid breaking the law every day in the state of california, which I currently do, in a variety of different victimless ways, I took my car to the smog ref to get it inspected, and of course, failed. HC and nox emissions too high, and my idle wouldn't settle down enough for them to be able to check the timing. It also failed the visual due to me not paying the CARB $100,000 and getting and Exemption Order sticker on my intake tubing. Yes, that is how much the companies have to pay to be able to legally sell a part in cali. That is why there is only 1 legal aftermarket turbo kit available for the integra, made by Greddy. So now I have to get the cheapest possible legal intake, probably a used AEM shortram, which will actually make my shit run worse than factory or than with my own cobbled together CAI. The ref also wrote my shit down as a '94, although my motor is a b18A1. The CARB site has the b18a1 listed as a 94-01 motor, anyone who knows shit about hondas knows it is a 90-93 motor, the 94+ ls is a b18b. I told his dumb ass to put it down as a 93, but he didn't listen.

I feel your pain, I failed the exact same thing HC and NOX. I put some RPX in it and advanced the timing and passed the HC with flying colors, but still failed the NOX. I was told that the car is being run as a car that requires an EGR and that is why I am failing the NOX.

SEi User
    Vehicle

The front is too high, but the valving is fine as far as I can tell. Very controlled, dead feeling, no bounce. I can't say the same for the rear, unfortunately. It feels like it is contantly moving, and while I can't say exactly what it should feel like, it just doesn't feel stiff enough, in my opinion. I don't get it. Steve dx89 said he has the same combo and it is almost too stiff. However, the car does not rock when shifting, braking or cornering at all. Totally flat, like it should be. Ground controls are coming up..
    update: After driving the car out to south dakota and then several thousand more miles, I realize that the rear of the car has no bounce, that is just me flying around in my bouncy ass seat.

My hard motor mounts are slowly driving me insane, so I called innovativemounts.com, thinking that I would be able to buy softer bushings and swap them out. However, they don't sell just bushings, but they will swap them for you for $10 +shipping. Not a bad price, but a lot of good that does me when I drive the car to work every day and my back mount is welded in. Fucking ridiculous. The people who answer the phones there must have all previously worked at the dmv, been rent a cops, meter maids, or some parasitic cockblocking profession like that. "Oh no, we just don't do that. we don't sell you bushings separately. Why? We just don't. And you are mistaken, we don't sell on ebay either." Ignorant piece of shit stopped just short of calling me a liar! Go to ebay right now and see if there are any innovativemounts.com kits on there. And then they want to argue with me as if they have a Clue compared to me. Oh no, there's no difference between 3 hard mounts and 4 soft ones. Not having a front mount puts about 2x the force on the back one! Fucking Idiots!

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

update: After driving the car out to south dakota and then several thousand more miles, I realize that the rear of the car has no bounce, that is just me flying around in my bouncy ass seat.
    My hard motor mounts are slowly driving me insane
    Hehe, I warned you about that rear end. It's pretty rough. I hear you on the hard motor mounts too. Rattles the whole car.

Vehicle

I have the same problem with the motor shaking, but I have come to like it. I have been working on making a front motor mount for my setup, but I want there to still be enough room for a turbo.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

there was an article in one of the magazines (import, modified or someother one).
    They were talking about how to pass emissions in california after engine swap. In the article they said to keep it as stock as possible including stock exhaust manifold, stock air piping and so on.
    Also, in the article, the smog guy explained that JDM B16A can not pass emission test due to high compression or something like that. But USDM B16 will pass with flying colors. In both test they used sniffing device.
    Alex.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Well, I'm in SD now, so f cali..
    As far as the mounts, I'm going to solve it properly. I might even use factory integra front and back mounts + a torque arm, I don't know..

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Thanks, bobafett..
    Having a b series is no big deal...If you have the kit. As far as I know, I am the only one to fabricate and complete the mounts myself. The mounts were a 2 day affair..and something I was a little intimidated by, but mostly because I am a perfectionist. After the leftover pri kits all get used up, hopefully my pics will help out someone who wants to do this on their own..
    I want to upgrade to the 88-89 style front brakes, so I think I'll wait on the axles for that. (different spindles/steering knuckles, my car is an 87, no point in assembling it just to take it all apart again..)
    In the meantime though, I'll post a pic of the shift linkage after I figure it out.

If you did documentet wark!? You can do a How to: B-Series Engine Mounts.
    There you'r pics will come usifle.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

Lol I was just searching for this old thread when you bumped it. What's the status on the swap Accordtheory?

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

SEi User
    Vehicle

just got softer mount bushings, trying to save up money for the gsr head, a gt35r, etc..but that's not happening. I have too many debts, and just had to replace the tranny in my silverado, $ ouch.. I like my new tranny though, the 'level 2' 4l60e from performabuiltautomatics.com. I can't drive the accord that much now, the khumos and ice/snow don't mix. It might as well have skis instead of tires, they're so bad.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Well, today I did 2 out of the 4 mounts. I completely cut apart the passenger side mount, rewelded it, and replaced the bushings with softer ones. It sits about 2 inches lower now, closer to the motor/tranny's axis of torsional vibration. I also replaced the driver's side bushings too. I'll post pics as I go, I still have to replace the back mount bushings and build a front mount. I can't use the teg style front mount, it will hit my crossmember..so time for more welding, I guess..
    I also want to see if I can use my old hard bushings for my radius arms, that would be really nice. Hopefully the wheelhop/excessive annoying vibration will be gone soon.