Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to swap in a b series without a kit..pics inside

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

How to swap in a b series without a kit..pics inside

Rather than jacking someone else's thread, I thought I'd start my own..Here is what I have done so far. Starting with the driver's side mount: This mount took me several hours to make. All of the mounts were made by butchering a set of crx swap mounts from innovativemounts.com. 75A hardness bushings for minimum movement in my soon to be high whp turbo application.

Next we have the passenger side mount: Also done but not shown, strategic hammering of the engine bay adjacent to the tranny for clearance. And yes, I know that gloss black paint looks like shit!

The back mount was very difficult. Look at the first pic of the integra bracket, major fitment issues. I had to cut a section out of it, bent it down, and patch it back together. See how nice and curved down it ended up? Then I fabbed up the piece that I welded onto the crossmember. No clearance problems, no moving brake lines, etc!

Last edited by Accordtheory; 01-12-2006 at 05:28 AM.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Re: How to swap in a b series without a kit..pics inside

next up: test fitting the 90-93 integra axles and installing the shift linkage...
    I have an idea about how to simplify the shift linkage conversion without welding, I've done enought of that recently..we'll see.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

which b series is that?

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

very cool work. I'm very interested in what will work for axles.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1988/Accord/DX, 1989/Accord/LXi, 1977/AMC/CJ-7

so, like the first post i ever made on this site was asking about b-series swaps in these things, and like i got so much shit for it... NOW look at the site, theres like 3 b-swaps going on... I'm so pissed!

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by getready
    so, like the first post i ever made on this site was asking about b-series swaps in these things, and like i got so much shit for it... NOW look at the site, theres like 3 b-swaps going on... I'm so pissed!
    It's probably because you didn't search. I've got a B-series in my car. It's no big deal.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    1988/Accord/DX, 1989/Accord/LXi, 1977/AMC/CJ-7

it was more of a comment, i'm not really pissed. Nice work, bseries guys

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

accord theory is also one of a handful of members who have successfully turbo'd there cars... he is a go getter, and and has the ambitions to actually carry his ideas out... so if he says hes gonna try something, its more than just talk (like most people who talk about b-series swaps on this board)

keep up the good work man, looks like a good project!

SEi User
    Vehicle

Thanks, bobafett..

Having a b series is no big deal...If you have the kit. As far as I know, I am the only one to fabricate and complete the mounts myself. The mounts were a 2 day affair..and something I was a little intimidated by, but mostly because I am a perfectionist. After the leftover pri kits all get used up, hopefully my pics will help out someone who wants to do this on their own..

I want to upgrade to the 88-89 style front brakes, so I think I'll wait on the axles for that. (different spindles/steering knuckles, my car is an 87, no point in assembling it just to take it all apart again..)

In the meantime though, I'll post a pic of the shift linkage after I figure it out.
    Last edited by Accordtheory; 01-12-2006 at 05:01 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    which b series is that?
    81.5mm b18a with a gsr crank, eagle rods, and endyn pistons. Since I just "junked" the car in cali to avoid another $600 in fines, It will soon b a gsr clone, with the vtec head. The only thing it won't have is the gsr/b16 oil squirters for the pistons. However, endyn pistons are like the best you can buy, and will hold any hp level you can create. I'll probably run a small external oil cooler, since the ls doesn't have one.
    Eventually it will have:
    victor x IM with my 740cc wrx injectors
    either my current holset he341 turbo or something bigger on a nice manifold..
    p28 ecu with neptune? I haven't read to many good things about hondata's s300 on H-T, so...
    my tranny is a 93 ls ys1 with an action 2ms clutch.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    Thanks, bobafett..
    Having a b series is no big deal...If you have the kit. As far as I know, I am the only one to fabricate and complete the mounts myself. The mounts were a 2 day affair..and something I was a little intimidated by, but mostly because I am a perfectionist. After the leftover pri kits all get used up, hopefully my pics will help out someone who wants to do this on their own..
    I want to upgrade to the 88-89 style front brakes, so I think I'll wait on the axles for that. (different spindles/steering knuckles, my car is an 87, no point in assembling it just to take it all apart again..)
    In the meantime though, I'll post a pic of the shift linkage after I figure it out.
    There's another dude on there that posted his B16 swap. He made his mounts himself but he did use a PRI axle. He doesn't post here much and his car is kinda gay looking. I don't think I've ever seen a pic of your car.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1991 Vr-4 394/2000 1992 Acura GS-R :)

have you ever thought about selling these mounts? or making a few?

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)

you got the same idea i have with an h-series using the same concept as putting an h22 in a crx. good job. let us know how that b-series works out after it's all done.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by HondaSi88
    have you ever thought about selling these mounts? or making a few?
    shit, the pri kit is a bargain compared to this effort..

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Cool Re: How to swap in a b series without a kit..pics inside

nice thread, the pri kit might be a bargain but it's also not that good.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K
    nice thread, the pri kit might be a bargain but it's also not that good.
    How so? Granted they're not as pretty as Hasport mounts but they do the job.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Stevedx89, you're right. Having a b series is no big deal, making the mounts yourself isn't either, lots of other people have made their own mounts, they just don't post pics for some reason, and nothing could ever be better than your precious pri kit.
    ...anyway...
    Sarcasm aside, no, I don't think I'm the shit for doing this, and you know I haven't said anything negative about your pri kit either. I just thought it would be ridiculous for me to buy it when I've already invested in a mig welder, plasma cutter, etc. And I'm not paying top dollar for that shit either when I lose money on every fucking part I sell off.

Hasport? who cares..

What hardness are the bushings used in the pri kit?

I'm not saying my kit is better than the pri, but it is welded to reinforced surfaces, a strength result the pri kit could achieve if it were welded in too, so assuming the bushings are comparable, the only clear benefit is my back mount doesn't interfere with anything.
    Last edited by Accordtheory; 01-14-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Stevedx89, you're right. Having a b series is no big deal, making the mounts yourself isn't either, lots of other people have made their own mounts, they just don't post pics for some reason, and nothing could ever be better than your precious pri kit.
    ...anyway...
    Sarcasm aside, no, I don't think I'm the shit for doing this, and you know I haven't said anything negative about your pri kit either. I just thought it would be ridiculous for me to buy it when I've already invested in a mig welder, plasma cutter, etc. And I'm not paying top dollar for that shit either when I lose money on every fucking part I sell off.

Hasport? who cares..

I'm not saying my kit is better than the pri, but it is welded to reinforced surfaces, a strength result the pri kit could achieve if it were welded in too, so assuming the bushings are comparable, the only clear benefit is my back mount doesn't interfere with anything.

POS.......J/P those mounts look great and as for the axles. You have two options unless you go custom. Either use 90-93 integra axles and remove the dust ring from the passenger side hub or use a 90-93 integra driver side axles and an 86-89 passenger side axle. The onyl problem is that I don't think they have any high HP 86-89 integra axles. G/L with the swap.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

...anyway...

Hasport? who cares..

If you noticed, I just knocked my PRI kit. Hasport never made mounts for us but I wish they had. I would have bought those over PRI anyday. I'm not knocking your work. I think it's great. I was just wondering why that other dude was saying the PRI mounts are crap. They do the job they're supposed to do. No need to get all defensive. Plus you're the one who said buying the PRI kit would be a bargain compared to all this work.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Sorry steve, I thought I was detecting a little hation from you. I still think the pri kit is a good way to go. Maybe even if you have welding equipment. If you cut a v section out of the rear integra mount bracket, I'm sure you could also lower the pri back mount to avoid having to clearance the brake lines or anything.

I'm still working on the shift linkage. actually, working on motivating myself to work on it.. I already have 90-93 integra axles, but they look kinda weak. "Yonaka motorsports" some crap off ebay..they have a smaller diameter than the accord shaft, I'll probably break them shortly after installing my holset turbo.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Sorry steve, I thought I was detecting a little hation from you. I still think the pri kit is a good way to go. Maybe even if you have welding equipment. If you cut a v section out of the rear integra mount bracket, I'm sure you could also lower the pri back mount to avoid having to clearance the brake lines or anything.

I'm still working on the shift linkage. actually, working on motivating myself to work on it.. I already have 90-93 integra axles, but they look kinda weak. "Yonaka motorsports" some crap off ebay..they have a smaller diameter than the accord shaft, I'll probably break them shortly after installing my holset turbo.
    I did weld in my rear mount and side bracket but boy my welding skills are piss poor at best. No way I would have attempted cutting that bracket apart and putting it back together. I dunno about the other guy but in addition to moving brake lines out of the way, I also had to pound a dent in the firewall to clear that rear mount. Kinda scary when you gotta beat on your car with a mallet.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    I did weld in my rear mount and side bracket but boy my welding skills are piss poor at best. No way I would have attempted cutting that bracket apart and putting it back together. I dunno about the other guy but in addition to moving brake lines out of the way, I also had to pound a dent in the firewall to clear that rear mount. Kinda scary when you gotta beat on your car with a mallet.

I dident have to beat in the firewall at all, I just unbolted the brake lines and moved them up. I will be welding my tranny side mounting bracket in place on wednesday and I will also be rewelding the factory drivers side mount postition. I would recomend that to Accordtheory also, becuase honda did not weld those in there for a High performance motor. As for the back, I dont know if I am going to weld that or not. There really dosent seem to be that much need for it. It bolt down pretty snug and has alot of surface area to push agaisnt. Now if the motor TQed the other way I might worry about that mount pulling up or something. I think I will just let it go for now.

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap

i hope i am not classified as one of those people who always talk about b seires but never do it. i know i been putting my shit together for 3 years now but you gotta rember, its time permitting and i am doing alot more than just putting a b series in. allot of shit needs to be fabbed and i dont have a welder. right now in boston, its about 12 degress and snowing. i dont have a garage so i prob wont get back out to worknig on the car until march when it starts warming up.

right now i got a stock b18a form a 90 teg going in with my solex sidedrafts, and the custom wire harness. we all seen my pics, there around here and on h-t.

i am working on a b20b bottem end as we speak. this is the actuall motor i am going to be using for the car. trying to locate a p8r head for this setup
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap

for the tranny side mount i want to use this setup from a 96-00 civic.

i see it more simple to weld in
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SQ is the SQUAD
    i hope i am not classified as one of those people who always talk about b seires but never do it. i know i been putting my shit together for 3 years now but you gotta rember, its time permitting and i am doing alot more than just putting a b series in. allot of shit needs to be fabbed and i dont have a welder. right now in boston, its about 12 degress and snowing. i dont have a garage so i prob wont get back out to worknig on the car until march when it starts warming up.

right now i got a stock b18a form a 90 teg going in with my solex sidedrafts, and the custom wire harness. we all seen my pics, there around here and on h-t.

i am working on a b20b bottem end as we speak. this is the actuall motor i am going to be using for the car. trying to locate a p8r head for this setup

It took me about a 1 and 1/2 years to get mine going, but that included finding the right car. I dont see you as one of those people. Because you actually put effort into getting the job done right, and purchasing the motor wasent a bad start either.