Thread: Response hesitation, possible lean condition

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Response hesitation, possible lean condition

Hello all!
    I recently installed a rebuilt carburetor on my LX and am experiencing a hesitation/loss of power when the throttle is opened quickly. The venturi booster sprays fuel in the primary barrel, and there are no vacuum leaks. If I cover the primary barrel with my hand about half way, the hesitation disappears. This leads me to believe that the engine is running lean. I have not tried adjusting the air jet controller yet and would like to know if there is anything else that may cause a lean condition above idle. The float bowl fuel level is midway in the sight glass. The idle mixture is set properly I believe (highest possible RPM without going too lean). So the question is: What can cause a lean condition like this?

Thank you in advance!
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: Response hesitation, possible lean condition

Make sure the power valve and accel pump are working.
    Do you have a vacuum gauge?

I think you unscrew the 12mm nut at the rear of the air jet... not sure what else there is for adjusmtent. I'm not sure if there was some kind of hex bolt or screw in there.

does it get better or worse with the air cleaner installed?
    - llia

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si

I'd check the discombobulator, or the chrome reverse muffler bearing, thats what my problem was....

j/k felt like being a smart ass................
    I can't read the signature rules so MrBen deleted my signature.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    Make sure the power valve and accel pump are working.
    Do you have a vacuum gauge?

I think you unscrew the 12mm nut at the rear of the air jet... not sure what else there is for adjusmtent. I'm not sure if there was some kind of hex bolt or screw in there.

does it get better or worse with the air cleaner installed?
    Power valve and accel pump are definitely working (lots of gas is sprayed into the barrel). The hesitation gets less pronounced with the aircleaner installed. I replaced the paper gasket under the EFE plate yesterday and I think that eliminated a vacuum leak there, but the issue is still there. I think I'll try swapping my old carburetor (untouched) back on and see if it has the same issue. My guess is that something is leaking vacuum around the butterfly plate and causing a slower response. My vacuum is about 20 in Mg at idle. Drops to near zero with the throttle snapped open. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Well, I reinstalled the old carburetor and the car runs perfect once again. I ended up replacing the choke puller and a few rubber parts on the old carb and reinstalling it. I guess the carburetor I rebuilt has some sort of internal fault or I screwed up on the rebuild somehow. Thanks for the help!
    3axap.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Maybe you forgot to install the idle jet or maybe the choke puller was leaking where it bolts to the carb... or... or... sigh.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    Maybe you forgot to install the idle jet or maybe the choke puller was leaking where it bolts to the carb... or... or... sigh.
    My best guess is that there may have been a vacuum leak somewhere near the base of the carb. That or the secondary butterfly wasn't sealing all the way. Whatever it was, it was delaying the entry of fuel into the manifold. The old carb doesn't make nearly as much of a sucking noise as the rebuilt one. I figure as long as the old one works correctly, I won't mess with it. I only pulled it because the choke puller was worn out (repaired now). Too many possible problem areas with these carbs.
    3axap.