Thread: Engine Repair or replace??

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord EX-i

Engine Repair or replace??

okay I bought a 89 EX-i the other day, 300 kilometres on it, clean as a whistle inside & out, I figured buying a 3rd gen would be a great way to get experience wit hondas, damn was I right, the first night out I blew the crank seal. I can drive it a bit like this nothin much cuz its leakin oil like a percolator, I cant take this project on myself since I'm only first yr apprentice but its very cheaply done u know what I'm sayin. I started thinkin though, this motor has 300k, I dont drive my accord around like it a type r but I sure as hell dont take it easy on the thing cuz its elderly u know. so after all that I wanna know. are these A20A3 motors cheap?? how much? and most importantly how can I be sure thats its a low mileage motor when its not hooked up to an odometer? I aint takin out a 300k motor only to throw in a 200k motor and most of these 3rd gen accords are crazy mileage so how do I get a low mileage A20A3 and what should the cost be around. I am not interested at all in swapping somthin else in there
    thanx in advance
    michaeljames- Toronto EX-i

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    I don't know about over there but in BC, we have tons of 3rd gens in the wreckers resulting in low prices. I can find mileage ranging from 110,000kms to 300,000kms and prices ranging from $200 CAD to $800 CAD. I paid about $300 CAD 2 1/2 years ago for my 130,000km engine which I picked out of a big row of 3rd gens (still in the car so I knew the mileage was correct). Very good deal. On average though, you will probably spend $500 for a good used A20A3. Make sure you get a warranty and also get them to do a compression test.
    www.b20accord.com

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord EX-i
    so true, priced out a 160,000k A20A3 for $300 Cdn
    dont know if it would be better to fix the crank seal and keep puttin the mileage on or starting over with a 160,000 motor
    things that make you go hmmmm..