Thread: power loss?

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX

power loss?

this is a problem that i only have sometimes... i will either start the car up for the first time, or i will be driving for a while... ill stop at a stop sign and then accelerate and there is almost like i have no power... the rpms are normal, engine is trying to make me move, but it just chugs along, then at about 3000 rpm, it kicks in and im off, then ill shift and it does the same thing... im not sure what is going on here... i just replaced the clutch... anyone have any ideas at all? ive had this problem forever... i read somewhere that the 89 accord is notorious for hesitation... any way to fix it? somebody? anybody? help?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    vacuum leak is a possible problem, but also your fuel system could be dirty... check both fuel filters especially the rear one.
    - llia

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    who changed your cluth plates? did they change the clutch plate along with the pressure plate? yes, its commong to change both, but some ppl dont. make sure they put it in right, cause misalignment will make your pressure plate to put more force on your flywheel making it hard to shift at low rmps. I know u cant check the clutch alignment yourself, but take it to the person who did it. Also, did u put in racing clutch? if u did, some clutchs like ACT they need hig rmps, like 2500 to 3000 to shift like my buddy on his corolla, who has to rev to like 3K to shift into first. and NO THE 89 accords are not notorious for hestiation, BUT THE CARBS DO SUCK ON OUR CARS.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    does it happen when hot , cold , both ??

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    both... engine can be hot or cold....but it seems like it happens more when the temp is hot outside... but it does happen when its cold... so i dont know that the temp would have anything to do with it... what if it happened when it was hot, would there be something causing it? or cold?

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    Originally posted by smufguy
    who changed your cluth plates? did they change the clutch plate along with the pressure plate? yes, its commong to change both, but some ppl dont. make sure they put it in right, cause misalignment will make your pressure plate to put more force on your flywheel making it hard to shift at low rmps. I know u cant check the clutch alignment yourself, but take it to the person who did it. Also, did u put in racing clutch? if u did, some clutchs like ACT they need hig rmps, like 2500 to 3000 to shift like my buddy on his corolla, who has to rev to like 3K to shift into first. and NO THE 89 accords are not notorious for hestiation, BUT THE CARBS DO SUCK ON OUR CARS.
    it was put in by a shop, and they replaced the pressure plate and the clutch... its just a standard clutch, no racing. maybe its just the carb? i dunno... how can i check for a vacuum leak?

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    use a chinese fragrance sticks or something and get it near all the vaccum lines when the car is running and hvae someone inside the car to have it running and not die. behind ur air filter box, there is a vaccum line, if thats is cut, frayed or disconnected ur car will have hesitation at low rpms, cause i have experienced it because of my carelessness. if thats still not good. have your idle screw a lil big tight and get ur idle around 1500 and open ur AJC where ur car is about to die, then tighten it a lil when it runs smooth. it worked for me, its NOT a good thing to do cause its ruining ur engine, but to get the car not die on u. also, check ur throttle cable and see if its loose. when u have the car running, remove the air filter box and take the mesh off. look at the butterfuly valve and observe whta it does when ur car sputters. then come here and say what it does. hope all the crap i just said helps u a bit

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    thanks... i will try all of these things and let you know what i found...

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    still havent checked these yet... have been too busy... ill try this weekend if i can

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    ok, today was a pretty hot day... i went to lunch, got in the car, started to go, and poof, no power... again, so i think that when the temp is hot outside, or the engine is very warm, it causes me to have the power loss... so, any ideas? warm weather, warm air... ??

Vehicle
    could be your spark plugs ! check their color !

MIKE

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    thats next on my list... i plan on changing them and the wires this weekend... with the oil... how much do the plugs and wires usually run?

Vehicle
    wires from 20 > 30 $ NGK ! plugs are 2 $ max for each ( NGK )
    go with synthetic oil ! MOBIL 1 works great for me !

MIKE

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX

pretty easy to replace too, ehh?