Thread: 88 lx Valve replacement project...

Vehicle
    1991 crx si//2001 focus//89 civic dx hatch//92 intega 2dr

88 lx Valve replacement project...

Ok so i got a 88 4dr 5sp lx with a burnt valve. So yesterday I finally started working on it and this is the first time ive done a valve job so i figured id make a threat about my progess..and any help you guys can give me would be great.

Yesterday afternoon i started wrenching. I removed the breather, intake, battery and odds and ends that was easy to get to. Then I couldnt think of any way to take the car off or remove the vac lines because the nbrs dont match up and there are so many. Do i have to remove the lines inorder to take the intake manifold off?

So I decided to take the exhaust manifold off, after trying to get the bolts off of the heatshield, i decided, instead of trying to sqeeze my hands down there to get nuts and bolts off and spending time and pain. I opted to just take the whole front end off. So i removed the following...

• Cornor Lenses
    • Front bumper
    • Radiator Core support
    • Radiator
    • Ac condensor? not sure what it was, ran from the compressor and looked like a radiator in front of the radiator
    • top ac lines
    • Bumper reinforcement bar

After doing so, i had a clear view of the front/or rightside of the engine. Now im able to get to everything i need really. I removed the headshield, O2 sensor just because i could. Lol. Now i need to know what size wrench it takes to removed those two metal pipes running into the Exhaust mani from the left side. I didnt know where to start to take the head off. So i started there.

Where is a good website to get some Good Valves and what not? I just want to get this car running to the state where I can drive it back and forth to work, then sell it later on. Ill take pics as I move further into this project. Any help would be great. Thanks
    FS:88 Accord 4dr 5sp 208k miles $700 obo

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: 88 lx Valve replacement project...

Yup I had to remove the front end to get a good angle on the EGR and Air Suctions pipes.

Not sure what size, you can use an adjustable pipe wrench and a extension to give you leverage.

Remove the vacuum lines from the black box to the carb but keep the intake manifold on the head untill you get the head unbolted from the block... then you can remove the intake manifold.

You'll also want to remove the distributor and thermostat housing.

Also be careul of the plastic valves at the back of the intake manifold, they are fragile and hard to replace.

Don't remove the carb from the intake manifold, if you have to remove the carb for some reason then you should replace the gaskets to avoid getting a vacuum leak.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Remove the brake booste vacuum line from the back of the intake manifold.

Remove the coolant hoses from the sides of the intake manifold, and remove the small coolant hose that runs under the intake manifold and connects to the rear of the base of the carb.

Unbolt the valve that is bolted under the intake manifold before lifting the head off of the block. The valve is held on by a 10 or 12 mm bolt.

There are also 2 metal braces that need to be unbolted from the underside of the intake manifold before you can lift the manifold and head off of the block.
    - llia

Vehicle

awesome man, thanks. I believe i know exactly whats your talking about. Ill let you know how it goes.

Vehicle

Lol, i have 2 extra a20 engines laying around my garage already, i was going to pull the valves out of one of those engines to put them in my car....

Vehicle

Cke, i pulled my head and its an exhaust valve. 9 times out of 10 its always an exhaust valve but thanks for the offer. Ill just reuse my intake valves, not even clean them lol.

I pulled the head this weekend, Thanks a20a, i found those 2 brakets you were talking about and it came right off. Woot. The valve had a big chunk missing, pretty bad, Ill get pics. I ordered a new exhaust valve from O'reilys and it should be in today. Im also getting a new headgasket. Ill just reuse my intake and exhaust gaskets, they are still good. So that where i stand at now. my cam looks in great condition as does the entire head. I can wait to get the parts installed but it will be awhile, my daugher will be born this thurs. Woot!! Ill take pics and keep all updated. Im looking for a good headgasket, any recommendations?