Thread: Idle adjustment?

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi

Idle adjustment?

Alright when im sitting at a light my rpm will be at like 600 or so is there any way to adjust the idle so it sits at like 900 or something? i am an lxi ....

also i had another question

when i shift into 5th gear it makes a whinning noise my friend has a 89 accord and his dosent make the noise....its only when i accelerate in 5th... dosent matter if im doing 50 or 60mph any thoughts? i just changed my transmission fluid thinking it may be that but it wasnt

Vehicle
    89 LXI Coupe "Slighty Modified",,71 Chevelle,, 92 civic cx

Re: Idle adjustment?

Theres a screw on the top of your throttle body, adjust that to the idle rpm you want.As for your tranny making noise ,sorry dont know.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1997 BMW 528i, 1988 Honda Accord LX-i

how many miles are on your car? I know that 5th gear is the first to go in high mileage 5 speeds...

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

I'm coming to the conclution that this 5th gear keeps going bad cause of using gear oil & not motor oil in the transaxle. The gear oil doesn't give the 5th gear good lubrication. Cause when I bought mine, & changed the transaxle fluid, it had gear oil in it.

EDIT- This is assuming that you have manual tranny.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 03-10-2006 at 08:07 PM.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

correct way to set idle is with the eacv unplugged. if you plug the eacv back in and the idle goes up, you need to clean or replace your eacv. i think a lot of times people have the idle set too low to compensate for a dirty/malfunctioning eacv which will cause a loping idle under certain conditions.
    Originally Posted by Justanothermike
    my A20 is not SLOW. ur A20 is slow.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi

where is this eacv?

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX-i HB (traded). Now 96 Civic EX coupe

uh... i don't even know what an eacv is, and i've adjusted the idle on my old accord more times than I can count (I tinkered with it too often :P)

On your Intake manifold, there is a large hose that goes to your fast idle control valve. You need to take that off and plug the hose connection on the intake mani with a piece of rubber, or the end of your finger like how I did it.

Then take a screw driver and adjust your idle to approx 750 rpm. Plug the FICV back in and your good to go.

If you adjust your idle without unplugging the FICV, your rpm's will drop faster down to idle than it should be. Usually it goes to 1200 pretty quick and slows from there down to idle.

If you only adjust your idle with the screw, oh well... not like it's going to hurt anything or affect your gas mileage that much... i just find that the car is smoother when adjusted properly.

03 Nissan Maxima 6spd 3.5L -- Daily Driver
    96 Civic Ex-T 210whp/183wtq @ 9.5 psi tuned on Hondata s300 -- Now at 12psi, unknown power
    04 CBR600RR - Sold, and now wrecked. RIP

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi

well i think i may have fixed my idle problem... its seems to be running alot better at the moment...

i had a cai and the pipe kept on falling off and so the idle would change cuz there would be no vacumm... seems to be all fixed now... got some good clamps on it and some extra duck tap to keep it on there nice and tight...

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX-i HB (traded). Now 96 Civic EX coupe

uh.... your CAI wouldn't cause you to not create vacuum... It could starve your engine if it somehow plugged the throttle body and that would cause it to affect your idle.

Good to hear it's working good now though.

03 Nissan Maxima 6spd 3.5L -- Daily Driver
    96 Civic Ex-T 210whp/183wtq @ 9.5 psi tuned on Hondata s300 -- Now at 12psi, unknown power
    04 CBR600RR - Sold, and now wrecked. RIP

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord lxi

well im assuming the vacum lines that came off the air box used the pressure that the engine would make by sucking in air...