Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Tried Water / Methanol injection ?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    I have seen this used on turbo cars before and quite a few n/a cars. Without a doubt I know it gives more power to turbos but would you see any gains on a n/a motor? The water injection cools the air significantly which makes more power but you have water vapour in there too which won't make power so I was thinking the two would cancel each other out. Spearco makes one if you want to check out their site. Any comments?

ok check out this site.....it has great detail but the hp claims are high......does this actually work?.....
    www.aquatune.com/overview.html

yeah it is a single cam but i have no air and no cruise control.....i have a big hole that needs filling so the location wouldn't bother me i just don't know much about physics so i was wondering if their statement about making the fuel burn more completly and cleaning out carbon deposits and letting you advance your timing are all true or not?
    In the end...it doesn't even matter.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1990 Honda Accord Ex 5spd.
    well it sounds nice, but question is wee are you going to add it? you'd have to bolt up that water resevoir some were. I emailed some one over there today so we'll see. I asked him if it would work with our engine, A20A3, carbed and injected. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i said we have SOHC.
    I could ask my step dad, he is like a phd in fluid dynamics and that sort of stuff. He worked for nasa at one point and for the air force about that sort of stuff. He helps me occasionally to get more power into my car with air/ fuel mixture. He still wants some work done on my intake, and my exhaust, buti have to save up money before he and i can do anything.

why didn't the motor last? was it because they were racing or because of the aquatune?
    "If you were paying attention DANIEL you'd know the Nintendo's pass threw everything!"
    - Col Jack O'Neal - Stargate sg-1.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i dont understand how water vapour makes ur block not rust. THe problem is, watervapour is gonna be hella dense and its also gonna NOT burn when the gas ignites. I dont get the concept and chemical shit behind this Aquatune.

Doest anyone know about this in detail?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    well i do know that your engine naturally sweats and you see water condensation shoot out the pipes when you first crank it up so no problems with severe rust so far. You have to understand that most of the water turns to steam and does eventually evaporate therefore rust isn't possible. If i were to run the setup i would stop shooting water through it for about 5 minutes before I cut the car off to make sure its all burnt. But the water has a severe cooling effect on the entire intake and combustion chamber letting you advance timing, suck in more air, mix in more fuel, spray my nos longer cause temperature build up won't be as much. I think i'm going to try it I was just scared of any repercussion or consequences it might cause. A20A1 is right that gobs of power can be made but at what price? I sure don't want to kill the block but maybe if you shoot a fine mist the block won't see so much torture.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

LXi User
    Vehicle
    well keep us posted on everything for that then!
    "If you were paying attention DANIEL you'd know the Nintendo's pass threw everything!"

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    here is another link,
    http://www.racetep.com/wik.html#nah20
    this might of been said, sorry if i am stepping on someones toes.
    Basically water injections doesn't realy add power but, gives power back to the engines by decreasing the engine combustion camber temp and keeps A/F more dense. the really addtanges is in forced induction application, more boost, more timming, less fever of knock.
    Last edited by rallyeNate; 10-17-2002 at 04:21 PM.
    I’ll kill you with experience

Vehicle
    Twin Weber DCOE Powered 88 Honda Accord LX
    Thanks, Nate - I hadn't seen that link. I'm following this water injection thread. This is the first I've heard of it.

By the way, www.racetep.com is a good resource for Weber stuff.
    Mike Clark

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    I think it would work on N/a......Reread what you wrote......keeps the a/f more dense.....a more denser air and fuel ratio = more power.......you can advance the timing without worrying about ping therefore gaining even more power. I also like the cleaning part that it does. Just add water when you add gas at fillup. I really love this idea and I'm jumping in head first

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    nice, thats a really interesting concept. and having water, man that is even more better.

I thought the whole purpose of water injection was to reduce detonation so you can run more advance
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

LXi User
    Vehicle
    my step dad said that he wouldn't spend his money on it, but that it is a good idea. (he's a cheap skate, that's why.) but i'd say i'm going to save up for it. how much?

Vehicle
    Twin Weber DCOE Powered 88 Honda Accord LX
    Originally posted by POS carb
    I thought the whole purpose of water injection was to reduce detonation so you can run more advance
    More advance - my car likes the sound of that.
    Mike Clark

LXi User
    Vehicle
    i got some feed back from aquatune. They said that it will run for the system about is 399.95 + 19.85 shipping. i personally think that it would be possible to make your own. They have this stupid ultrasonic sound blaster thing on theirs, but i dont think that it's really worth that. I think that we could possibly make one a bunch cheaper. It really doens't look all that complex. You can pay by mail, phone, or paypal. They have a site that has a bunch of check list crap. It sounds like one of their people needs to test out our car and fine tune the aquatune system before putting it in. I'd really like to find out what really needs to be done, or just make my own. I have a friend who was told to take off his air filter on his carb, then rev his engine really high, pour a pop can of water in the carb kinda slow. He said it was similar to water blasting the inside and cleaning it out. My question is why cant we have somethign similar by just making it our self?

http://www.aquatune.com/overview.html
    that's one part that sounds kinda resonable.
    http://www.aquatune.com/index.asp
    they just have it shown mounted on something and working.. Nothing special. Is anyone going to try this. Idont have the money to try it out yet. And final web site. This is the check list they have to check over.
    http://www.aquatune.com/checklist.html
    oops. One more site. This one might help us to build one.
    http://www.510again.com/articles/watering/watering.html

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    Ok really don't spend that kind of money on that. I think their whole tuning fork thing is a little wacky but water injection really does work. All you need is a tank, a place to mount it, hose, a fogger nozzle and a way to hook it to the engine to control when the pump will pump it ( like a throttle switch ) or get creative and hook it to vacuum. That much money is definetly whack.....tell them to stick that fork up their ass.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    I am an avid paintballer...I know that CO2 is very cold when its sprayed from my bottle with my on off valve... I was just wondering what CO2 injection would do to my car is i ran it through a weber intake adapter? i could fab somthing up through the firewall... use my 20 oz. on/off valve, a remote line, and some kind of nozzle at the end for spraying into the carb.. will this give me some what of a boost??
    Travis

no one has any insight on this wild idea???
    Travis

i can have my 20 oz bottle at 3/4 spray for like 10 minutes.... and thats alot of gas comming out.. i know it wont break down, but wont it force more air into the carb? i guess the only way to know is to try it...
    Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

1988starter
    I don;t think it would work because (I could be wrong.) CO2 does not break up the same as nitrous so it would not release the oxygen at a low enough temp. As for cooling I doubt it would last long enough to do anything.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe
    It's called CryO2, and it uses CO2 to cool the air as it enters the throttle body. No idea how well this works though...
    My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

Vehicle
    89 Honda accord se_i
    It will not work. Its not condencive enough
    I got the need,The need for speed!!!

89' accord se-i
    -------------------
    mods: HEHE NOT TELLING!!!!

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Yea it is the CryO2. It is a new product with some mixed reviews. It should work but what what I have heared is that the cost out weight the benefits. The kit is like $300 or something and probably a pain in the ass to install.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    no kit for me.. i already have a tank, and hoses wont be alot.. i might lookinto a switch(electric) operated valve tho...

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    Are you trying to put out the fire in the cylinders? Anyway, it better be a little CO2. It would make sense if somebody knew the proportion of C02 being injected per stroke of each cylinder and the delta T it produces. That way some mathematical modeler can solve for % benefit.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord (Australian Model Si)
    Originally posted by mindlos
    Are you trying to put out the fire in the cylinders? Anyway, it better be a little CO2. It would make sense if somebody knew the proportion of C02 being injected per stroke of each cylinder and the delta T it produces. That way some mathematical modeler can solve for % benefit.
    agreeed, maybe you might need re-tuning after that... :S

Vehicle
    95 Chev C1500 Truck / 90 Cavalier Coupe (sold)/ 88 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK

Travis
    DEI's CryO2 components are fully tested. They're a little expensive but if you plan on racing this car at the track, then CO2 is NOT for you as tracks treat CO2 injection exactly like NOS!
    Any questions, just ask.....
    :smokin: Here's DEI's site: Design Engineering INC {DEI}
    Last edited by DeathRat; 08-14-2003 at 04:53 AM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    2002 Corolla S
    Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK

Travis
    I'd have to say it's a pretty bad idea.

CO2 is a gas used by firefighters to PUT OUT FIRES.. it's heavier than oxygen, and does not promote combustion..

EDIT:

didn't read the whole thread.. I'm repeating someone..

now.. if you could use the CO2 to COOL the intake manifold (oh that's right, you're working with stone-age technology ) then you might be onto something (like using dry ice to cool an intercooler during waiting periods at the track)

Last edited by CivicEater; 08-14-2003 at 05:39 AM.
    2002 Corolla S Black Sand Pearl
    Suspension by Intrax/KYB/OBX/GC/Rotora
    Injen/Thermal R&D for Intake/exhaust
    JVC KD-LH1000/JL 10W3/RF 360.2 amp
    Custom interior/neon

http://216.161.255.154/nwc/6-29%20030.mpg

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi
    CO2 chilling is more common in the turbo world.

I will likely be buying a system for my Turboed Miata soon, to spray on the intercooler.

You don't ever want to put the CO2 INTO the engine like you do with nitrous, but you can use a heat exchanger to cool the intake charge with CO2.

The benefit to N/A cars is minimal. Since the temperature of the intake charge will never be much more than the temp of the ambient air, you don't have the problem that CO2 chilling solves.

Of course, we all know that cooler air = more power in any car, but the benefits on an N/A are are minimal, and aren't worth $300- $500.

However, on a turbo car, when you start approaching the 200 degree farenheit mark for intake temps, well, you start running into a wall because the engine will tend to detonate the fuel early because of the hot air.

So, you cool the intercooler down by spraying CO2 on it and the intake temps drop. In my car, it could be worth as much as 20-50 horsepower at the wheels!

In an N/A car, you might get 5-10HP max. Not worth it for the price.

Chad
    My "Other" cars include:

95 Mazda Miata - Turbocharged - 240whp 13.42ET @ 104MPH 1/4 mile
    96 Subie Outback Sport AWD