Thread: How to direct-wire my fans?

Vehicle
    1990 Honda CB7 Coupe, 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

How to direct-wire my fans?

I want to run my radiator fans off of a switch since they are not working properly right now. I've searched and found countless posts of people talking about changing 10 different things and they still don't work, so I will use a switch.

How should I wire this? I was thinking about wiring my switch to a relay that activates the fans. But there are two fans and several connectors. Anyone have a picture of the connector I'd need to hotwire to get both fans to activate with a switch? Thanks.
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. Can't remember where I read that. -- maxsideburn

Vehicle
    89 LXI Coupe "Slighty Modified",,71 Chevelle,, 92 civic cx

Re: How to direct-wire my fans?

You should'nt do both fans just fix the prob with the auxilary fan and run the secondarie (a/c) off a switch like i did But if thats what you want to do I'm pretty sure this will work with both. Hook up two wires to your fan and put them on the battery tp make sure their wired up to pull the air run the wires to a switch and from the switch to the battery,dont forget the ground, and if your not lazy go ahead and put a fuse in there also. If you want pix of mine let me know I'll take pix later today.

Vehicle

Oh I know how to run the switch wiring, I've done it on countless cars before, what I was asking is if anyone knew exactly which connector I could wire into to turn them both on with a switch.
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. Can't remember where I read that. -- maxsideburn

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Just bypass the thermoswitch with a jumper wire... if they don't come on when the car is on then try connecting the fan directly to the battery to make sure they work... if they don't work then you a fuse problem probably.
    - llia

Vehicle

well I jumped the relay in the fusebox with a paperclip with the ignition in the ON position and the fan on the passenger side came on.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

The other is for AC I believe, and it will only come on when ac is on. Im not totally sure, but something to check out.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat

Why don't you just jumper accross the thermoswitch. If the fan comes on you've found the problem. Replace the switch and forget the extra wiring. who wants to keep flipping the switch on and off?

Vehicle

I'd be glad to jump the thermoswitch, but it's kinda hard to see down there and I'm not sure what to jump. A picture would be most appreciated

Vehicle

Take a look at these pics guys. I can't find my multimeter right now so testing all of these would be nearly impossible. My fans work, well at least my passenger side one does when I jump the relay in the fusebox.

I just changed my thermostat today and before now the car has been running at most midway on the temp gauge, now it's running about 3/4 of the way up after a while. So now I really want to fix these fans. Please look at these connectors and tell me what I'd do to diagnose this.

Ok, so from these pics of the connectors. What do I jump, and what will it test? I'm sorry I've tried reading numerous topics on this, but none of them have pictures so I have no idea what people are talking about. This would make a nice reference to other people who are having the same problem.

Vehicle

::bump::

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX 88 Accord LXi

The thermoswitch is on the bottom of the radiator. I believe it is below the passenger side fan. It's hard to see from the top. If you disconnect the plug and jumper out the 2 contacts the fans should come on with the key on.

Vehicle

I know... but which connector would that be? I can't really see much down there.

LXi User
    Vehicle

As far as I know there is only one electrical connector on the bottom of the radiator. It's easier from underneath the car. Put the car up on ramps. If you still have the plastic splash guard, that will have to come off to get to the connector.

Vehicle

So I'm guessing the one I labeled "Dside 1" is what you're talking about?

LXi User
    Vehicle

No, I don't think you can see it in the pics. The thermoswitch actually screws into the bottom of the radiator and the plug is right on it. So you need to see the bottom of the radiator to get to it.

The wire bundle that has the green arrow Pside 1 (not the connector labeled A B, but the wire bundle that the arrow is touching) might be it. If you follow that wire bundle it might go to the bottom of the radiator. It's hard to tell from the pic but that might be it.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord EX (1.6) carb Manual

the radiator bottom has a switch in it and the connector has to wires, one blue and one wire would be black with red dots, the black is body ground from under the F/B the other is the relay trigger point, splice a wire into this one and take it into the interior - use some ground over there to bridge it - and you'll have a manual fan toggle

while you are at it, splice a wire from the fan positive to the dash and put up an LED - so you can know that the fan is actually working.