Thread: flipped air lid mod

Vehicle
    2003 Honda Element EX - its orange! =c)

flipped air lid mod

how do i do a flipped air filter lid mod.... i tried just turning it upside down and screwingit bck on but the damn screw wasnt long enough, lol so i thought.. aybe its more than that, lol.. so anyway.. was i right and just need to buy a longer screw
    Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile
    throwing your soap is one thing but some states allow the death penalaty for messing with a mans sandwhich

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    just take the rubber grommets out of the lid. it should fit fine.
    real 3geez http://www.3g-generation.com

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

Vehicle
    Twin Weber DCOE Powered 88 Honda Accord LX
    I wanted to keep the rubber grommets, so I turned the lid upside down on the ground and bashed it flat. Then I went to the parts yard and picked up an extra lid for winter time - it ran a little rough in the winter with the lid flipped. So I have a summer lid and a winter lid - LOL.
    Mike Clark

Vehicle
    grommets?? ummm... what are they? lol
    throwing your soap is one thing but some states allow the death penalaty for messing with a mans sandwhich

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    little rubber circles around the screw holes in the lid.

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

Vehicle
    2013 Tricycle
    Wait wait wait... Let me share some wisdom wit chall... I've had my airbox lid flipped for close to a year now. First, I took it off, took out the rubber thingies and then bashed the metal so it was poking out the other side. No longer screws needed. Whenever I would have to flip it, it will flip perfectly still. There's just MORE room for the nutz when i want it closed. Now, for the warning...

Its summertime. My coolant starts to disappear weekly. My radiator seems to be dying. My overflow bottle fills everytime I park. My car overheats and stalls bout once a week. Well, that's how it used to be... until I just decided that I would flip my airbox lid back to closed and start getting that smaller volume but MUCH COLDER air coming from the fender. Shit, my car's runnin hard, but it isn't stalling... my coolant level stays good... and my my, no stalling. If you're going to flip the lid, do it in fair weather. Sucking HOT HOT HOT engine air in the summer into your carb is no good. Trust me on this one. Try it, take it for a spin and drool at the nice growl it gets. Then go home and save it for spring. You'll thank yourself later.

Vehicle
    89 Accord Sedan LX, 91 ED-7, 2007 Accord EXL
    isn't it possible to route the air tube that goes from the fender into the carb to make it so that it comes from the front like an EFI intake system?

like, disconnect the tube at that place between the fuse box and teh air box thing, and make a new tube that comes from like, the front bumper to the air box?
    1989 Accord: Back to Stock
    2007 Accord: Stock
    1991 Civic SI: bunch of stuff done.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    its still limited by the thickness of the tube though. with the flipped lid, oodles of air just fly right in.

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    yea your better off with the lid flipped then somekinda ram air that feeds colder air into theintake stream to, sorta like the setup i got

Vehicle
    ninja.. this is why youre my car role model, lol

Vehicle
    but if u flip the lid, like someone else said, wouldn't hot air from the engine just go in? and from what i've gathered, cold air = good, but hot air = bad.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    well i had a fliped lid till last night. i fliped the lid back to original nad ran that plastic tube from the fender.
    well, i don't have pinning noice during hot days and at night my car is a beast. i think i am gonna try to figure how to run less ristricted pipe from the fender to airbox.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1991 Supra Turbo W/ 12k Miles
    it's not bad for carbs to take in warmer air... I live in GA... its almost 100 deg sometimes and I havent had any problems... If you drive hard for a long time I woulnd expect it to stay that way though... but carbs are not like Fuel Injection.. warm air from the engine bay wont harm it....
    ~Nathan~

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
    ~StOcK PiCs~

Vehicle
    2013 Tricycle
    Of course it wont DIRECTLY harm it... but I speak from experience on the hot air=bad dealy.

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh

simple physics!!

simple physics on why cold air is better than warm air

WARM AIR...
    If you have a carbed engine( WITH A FLIPPED LID)---or a EFI with only a performance intake the filter is just below the hood--above the engine. The filters suck in nice hot air from above the engine into the engine to combine and combust with gas.......Now....The molecules in warm air air much more spaced out--the air is less dense so it doesnt burn as well with the gass. Combustion doesnt occour as nicely and the engine doesnt put out as much HP.

COLD AIR...
    With a carbed engine (WITHOUT a flipped lid---which means the angine is getting O2-oxygen-from down below) or an EFI with a COLD AIR INTAKE(which gets its air althe way down behind the bumper) the oxygen is very cold becasue its comming from close to the ground----not above the engine....The cold air is very dense and the molecules are very close together wich means it burns very nicely with gas to give you lots and lots of power.....

NOW...with carbed engines--if you flip the lid there is a one inch gap all the way around the filter housing--which pulls air in at a much faster rate of speed---so wether its hot or not---the air is still beiong pulled in so much faster that it burns great any way and ads a lot of power. Now if you could add a cold air intake to your carbed engine.....as in rip out the normal filter--re flip the lid and run a pipe down to behind the bumper---and put the filter there---you could get oddles of air and lots of power because not only would u be geting more air through a larger pipe and performance filter---you would also be getting pure cold air--

A Basic point: flipped lids work GREAT in cool weather and semi warm weather but in HOTHOT weather there just the same as a unflipped lid in warmer weather.

Any more questions Email me, PM me, IM me...im here...
    --Travis

-Travis-

Vehicle
    2013 Tricycle
    I would like to really see that you calculated formulas using volume and temperature. You are forming a hypothesis about something that I can say I have actually tested. I had a flipped lid for a LONG time. I began to have overheating problems so I closed the lid back up. Maybe I dont get as good performance in fair weather... but at least my car is running now during the hot. I'm not sure whether you were arguing my point or agreeing with it or just stating random stuff. In any case I just said that sucking hot summer air in over your already VERY hot engine back into the combustion chamber resulted in negative effects for me.

Vehicle
    so judging from the different replies that have presented themselves in this thread, the decision is still split between us carbed guys?

to flip or not to flip, that is the question.

haha, screw the hood, who needs a hood anywayz? then we'll be able to all flip our lids without any worries!! haha j/k

Vehicle
    i have an idea...... they make hood vents.. where all you do it cut the designated shape hole and glue it on.. it looks pretty sporty.. and if placed close enough to the air filter with the flipped lid.. even in hot weather wouldnt the rush of air into the engine bay be cold? since the vent would catch the air and suck it in..
    i forgot where i saw it... it was a link from a post not to long ago... ill look for it.. if i find it ill post it up and you guy slet me know what you think

Vehicle
    found it... and here it is

http://www.erebunicorp.com/accessories.htm

i was thinkin about Air Scoops #SA16 and Hood Scoop #SA17 they are 136 each... but they look a lot better than the 36 dollar ones... perfect for getting before a paint job cause they can be painted the same color as the car

Vehicle
    2013 Tricycle
    Better not be driving in the rain otherwise *gurgle gurgle gurgle* poof goes the carburetor. I dont think they can swim.

Vehicle
    HAHAHAHA ... very true... didnt think of that, lol lol :lol :lol :lol

Vehicle
    hmm... isn't there someone on this board that made their hoodscopes filter out rain and stuff? A20A1 or something thats his member name?

and so, should ppl flip, or not flip?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1990 Honda Accord Ex 5spd.
    Water in the carb or in you efi... either way it cost me $1800. I wish i knew more about cars then i would have got the engine cheaper.. Or just played around with the car.
    "If you were paying attention DANIEL you'd know the Nintendo's pass threw everything!"
    - Col Jack O'Neal - Stargate sg-1.

Vehicle
    Twin Weber DCOE Powered 88 Honda Accord LX
    Yeah, A20A1 has a hood scoop and it looks awesome! In my opinion, one of the best mods on the board. Read about it here:
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3925

I think the scoop looks real tight on our cars.
    Mike Clark