Thread: DCOE Why Not??

LXi User

DCOE Why Not??

Hey guys, once again I have a question for the guiness' at 3geez. I live in TX and am wanting to know why we can't throw on DCOE's and pass inspection. I've only heard this from Cali folks and I know that y'all have a visual inspection. Well, fortunatley good ol' TX doesn't so is it the visual that y'all fail or does it do something to the emission levels? If it is something with the emissions is there something you can do to "de-tune" it right before inspection and then pass and then change it back? I'm just trying to find a way to not have to convert to EFI then OBD-1 then ITB's. And no I really would appreciate it if this doesn't turn into to a "screw carbs convert to EFI thread". Thanks
    I know the exact specs that we have to have to pass emissions so if it is the emissions part that you fail and you know how badly you fail *since CARB is stricter then us* that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

Re: DCOE Why Not??

Yeah they burn more fuel, and burned fuel = more chemicals in exhaust which sets off their scanners

LXi User

And I'm assuming that there isn't a throttle valve that you can adjust inorder to lower your idle and an OEM Cat still isn't strong enough to take all the chemicals out.
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

LXi User

Oh k just thought of another way of doing it. Approximetly how long do y'all figure installing the DCOE's will take?
    In other words how much of a pain in the butt would it be to take the weber's off and install the stocker once a year. Then get back home and put the webers back on?

edit: DP Ownz me
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI

You can get dcoe carbs to pass a sniffer test, they just have to be tuned right. Its a myth that they burn more fuel (well they do tend to lower your mpg, but thats because you tend to floor it alot more with the carbs ). As long as they are well tuned and you have left your cat in place you should be fine. The intake manifold is a pain to change because its next to impossible to get at the nuts on the bottom with the engine in the car. Its not too bad getting the dcoe manifold off but getting the stock manifold off then back on again is a real pain. That said you can problaby do it in the better part of a day. You'll just have alot of bloody knuckels for your trouble.

LXi User

haha alright thanks phydeaux if they can pass it with a good tune then that's definatley the route I'll be going. Thanks again!
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4223
    I updated some of the info on jetting.

You might also consider bike carbs, they are plentiful and may be easier to find then DCOE's, though you'll need 4 carbs vs 2... and you'll need to synch all 4 carbs
    - llia

SEi User

no reason at all.
    i can't believe so many people know next to not ing about webers they are one of the most adjustable carbs you can buy and best thing is the idle uses seperate fuel circuit and jets so crusing mileage is excellent i get 400miles to a tank on a built 200bhp ET1 you try matching that with your FI as phydeux says it's the temptation to floor it all the time that uses the gas as you end using the main fuel circuit and jets which then suck all the fuel.
    both circuits are adjustable in mixture and jet sizes so can be tuned to pass co2 tests mine registers 1.5 even with a 285 degree cam max co2 level in u.k. for 20 year old banger is 5 percent though most new cars aren't much less and with webers couple of turns out with a screwdriver and your running richer again.