Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EFi conversion

LXi User
    Vehicle
    accord HB ( metallic green)

EFi conversion

My Question is regarding the wiring when converting from carb to efi.
    I understand everything else, and don't think it will be that bad to convert. But the wiring harness is probably the hardest part.

- Do you have to have the complete wire harness as one piece ?

If anybody who is familiar with this could give my some tips, what maybe the easiest way would be. I know the whole dash will have to come off, but does the wire harness have a plug at each end and is it just plug and play, or does trhe wire harnes split off to power lights, etc.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    well ur best bet is to get all the wiring harness in one full piece, the cabin wire harness and the engine bay harness. U NEED THEM no matter what. the engine bay wire harness comes off from the engine bay as one whole unit, u dont need the positive cable from the battery to the starter. cabing wire harness is a bitch. need to take off your heating system, blower and your dash and the pedals and the metal thingie behind it to take off the wires from the engine bay to your ecu and other stuff. hold on lemme get u some pics that carotman posted in the old board. EFI CONVERSION TAKES A LONG TIME. dont get frustrated though it will be. just go on your pace and do it with a friend or two. good luck and take care.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    this is the metal thing under your pedals. u gotta take it out to reach the wires

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    the wiring harness SHOULD BE in one piece, u can splice all that crap with the existing lx harness, but u will be a granpa before ur done

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    forgot abotu the pic

NOTE: these pics are not from my conversion, these are carotman's. talk to him about it too. he is very good in it cause he did it. also talk to itch he is doing one right now like me.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Thanx for the pix those will be very helpful !
    Anybody else doing/done this conversion without owning a second car to steal the parts from ?

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    As far as i know, there is only one other person who is doing the conversion. The dude, the king, who has already did it is Carotman, the moderator. He knows it in and out, talk to him on AIM or email him in AOL, he would respond and will be happy to let you know anything you ask of him. U can go to his website and get more info on it, hold on lemme get you his webpage for his conversion. http://pages.infinit.net/omus/. there ya go. thats his webpage. Go to "How-To" and click on "PGM-Fi Conversion" and u will go on from then, he has good pics that will make you visualize it even more. Its easy to do it without Owning another car, but u can always own one for like around 300 or 400 bucks or even 200 bucks. U need a lot of parts for the conversion so do know its better to buy a whole car where u can rip the parts from, if not, u gotta have a cheap junkyard near you like i do and sneak some parts too. . Good luck and Thanks once again to Carotman for his help. before u start working do talk to carotman or me and keep us updated either with your pics or your post. Thanks man, good luck and god bless. have fun

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Well smufguy, you pretty much said it all

I see that you know pretty much everything about this conversion too.

Like you said, it's easier to work with the harness as a whole thing. It may sound hard to work with but beleive me, you need to take everything out when doing that, so just don'mess with the wire harness and take it as a whole.

The engine harness is really simple to work with too. (you can see it on the picture smufguy posted)

it's basicaly plys & play.

The rear wire harness doesn't need to be replaced. The EFI harness will plug right on to it

the best way to do it if with a parts car but it's not NEEDED... you can do without it.

if you have any questions, check the How-To section or just post them here

Alot of people will answer you hehe

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    where do u think i got all the smarts of this from carotman? its all from you buddy. You are the main reason i am doing this mod, cause i know for sure, you know what u are talking about and i can do whatever without a blink of an eye. Thanks a lot man. and after may, i am gonna be hardcore on my conversion. gotta clean up that intake manifold pretty good before i put it on my baby. By the way, how much are the injector O rings? do i need to get new ones? thansk man.

Vehicle
    I dunno how much the O-rings are. I didn't replace them. You don't need to get new ones if the ones you have aren't leaking. I heard they are pricy... so keep your money where it belongs unless you HAVE to.

Make sure you clean the 2 valves on the intake manifold. One valve is on the front (with a white plug on it) and the other one is beside the Throttlebody and has 2 coolant hoses comming to it.

Take them apart and clean then with throttlebody cleaner. I had to do mines today because they were screwing my idle a bit (it's still not solved but it's better)

I need these parts!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon

i never get credit

i talked carrot man through his i do beleive mine was the first.
    he he carrot
    good job spread the knowledge.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Well my conversion is coming along, got the engine out yesterday, and my interior is stripped. Now its just a matter of finding all the parts I will need - a local wrecker said the'll give me the engine,cpu,wire harness and distributor for $750 can. So thats probably what I'll doooo... Do guys know if there is that much difference with the 88-89efi motor, besides the dual-stage intake manifold, is there a diff that will cause me a problem.

I read the stereo may be all fubared, no biggy, don't need stock wires for the system. Any help would be sweet !

Vehicle
    well, you don't need the full engine, just the intake and wires from the same years...

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    whats wrong with your stereo again?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Nothing is wrong with it now, I read in the How too's that if you get a 88-89 it has a different wiring or a different clip that will give you a problem with the stereo and you may need to run new wires to your speakers ...... Not to sure what its all about,
    but just trying to find out any differences that I need to be aware of if I am going to put a 88-89 in my 87

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    hey its a good time to get brand new spreakers, amp and a cd player (if u dont have em) makes a nice neat wiring.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Yup got a sytem, and I will be re-wiring and adding a set of JBL speakers in the back. I've got 2 pheonix gold max 8" but don't have a powerful enough amp - but it does the trick
    Ya definetly a good time to fix all those IN-RUSH wiring jobs:smokin:

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    hehehe, i am gonna get those small rect. tubes for house wiring and see if i can run it along my sidestep. or they have holes down the side of our doors, we can run em thru those things too

Vehicle
    you need to run wires only if you use an 89 SE-i harness

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    its really interesting to know how honda at that time had sterring wheel mounted channel/volume controls. And 4 wheel disk brakes. Its something really interesting.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Well it looks like I'll be putting a 89 engine in my 87HB, I got the harness and air box, cpu, fuel evaporator shit.
    I got a auto Harness, will this be a problem - SAY NO !
    Also what does the atmospheric pressure sensor look like. It's not the little box below the ash tray with a plug going to it is it ?
    Could somebody please post a pic this would be VERY helpful THANX

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    the atmospheric pressure sensor is the one below your blower unit. and the one below the center console is your beeper. and the pic is from carotman's website.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Thanx, I've seen that pic before but can't really see anything
    Is it where the bolt is or the plug ?
    In regards to the beeper is it behind or above and about how big is it, and how many plugs go into it

Guess I grabbed the wrong part from the wrecker, I thought that thing was the buzzer but figured maybe it was diff on efi ?

Any ways got my dash out so it should be right there in the open any description on what it looks like would be helpful :bh:

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    the one near the floor on the center console (the bottom most one) is the beeper. looks like a grey rectangular box with a small circular hole in.

the atmospheric pressure sensor is the black thing with a screw on it (just one screw) and its the thing where the White wire plugs into on the pic. U need that to get the efi working properly. I guess the haynes manual says that its located on the trunk, but the car in that haynes manual looks like a 2g (no pop up lights).

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    that is where the beeper is