Thread: $%^$^% Resivouir

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

Angry $%^$^% Resivouir

My coolant tank is leaking from the cap I think. I can see it leaking from where the cap and resivoir meet. Solutions or do you know where I can find a new one?
    Catch me if you can!

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

Re: $%^$^% Resivouir

i dont know why it would leak out the top unless your level is too high or your car is overheating. but if its just leaking because its cracked or something try looking around a junk yard if you can. a new tank is between $35 and $50 brand new, just to let you know so you dont get jipped at a junk yard.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

OK well let's explain from the begining. My car was leaking coolant and smoking so I looked in the area of the smoke and pulled the hoses. I got some new ones from work (Autozone) and put em in.NO SMOKE alright! So I added coolant and then my fiance was l8ike oh look it's coming from the top. So I drove it to see if that was the prob. It was overheating like never before.
    Catch me if you can!

Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (good); 88 LX Sedan (rusted beater); 88 LXi Coupe (will be 5spd tranny doner)

probably a stupid question cause i'd imagine you know this if you work at autozone... but anyways did you add straight coolant or a 50/50 mixure of coolant and water?

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

You didn't fill the reservoir up to the cap by any chance, did you? This would definitely cause a leak once the radiator starts purging coolant into the expansion tank. Just my $.02
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

wow I put str8 coolant in and i don't think I filled it to the top
    Catch me if you can!

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord

i just installed a new rad and when i put coolant in i accidentally filled the resovoir to the very top but after i backed out of my driveway it heated up and the extra coolant leaked out lol....now i dont have any leaks
    '88 accord lx-i sold for $10

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

I added some water in the radiator it's self and no more leaks no more over heating. Do 3gee need only coolant or is water ok?
    Catch me if you can!

Banned
    Vehicle
    89 Honda LX

Quote Originally Posted by spnrx
    I added some water in the radiator it's self and no more leaks no more over heating. Do 3gee need only coolant or is water ok?
    Jesus, and you work at a parts store?

THE BEST COOLANT for your car is 100% water. Antifreeze is added only to keep the water from freezing in subzero temps. The best ratio for mixing hte coolant and water is 50/50, so mix them up and add them. If you were running PURE coolant without water you'd probably overheat, since it's thermal transferring abilities suck without water.

Vehicle
    88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by 89AccordResto
    THE BEST COOLANT for your car is 100% water. Antifreeze is added only to keep the water from freezing in subzero temps. The best ratio for mixing hte coolant and water is 50/50, so mix them up and add them. If you were running PURE coolant without water you'd probably overheat, since it's thermal transferring abilities suck without water.
    Scary. Can't trust anyone at a parts store anymore.

But, you are not quite correct either. Using the proper dilution of coolant will allow the engine to run at proper operating temp and provide boilover as well as freeze protection. Much better boilover protection than water alone.

Vehicle
    89 LXI Coupe "Slighty Modified",,71 Chevelle,, 92 civic cx

Quote Originally Posted by 89AccordResto

Thats not entirely true. On our engines it is not safe at all to run str8t water because of the iron blocks, if your ok with rust go ahead it will also oxidize the shit out of the inside of the head and radiator.

Banned
    Vehicle
    89 Honda LX

Quote Originally Posted by StressSolutions
    Scary. Can't trust anyone at a parts store anymore.
    But, you are not quite correct either. Using the proper dilution of coolant will allow the engine to run at proper operating temp and provide boilover as well as freeze protection. Much better boilover protection than water alone.
    Water still has the best heat tranferring abilities. That's what I was getting at. You should NOT run straight water 99.99% of the time, but some people have valid reasons. I don't see how using hte proper mix will somehow make hte engine run at the proper temperature compared to not. It will keep the engine cooler with straight water.

Banned
    Vehicle
    89 Honda LX

Quote Originally Posted by B16KILLA
    Thats not entirely true. On our engines it is not safe at all to run str8t water because of the iron blocks, if your ok with rust go ahead it will also oxidize the shit out of the inside of the head and radiator.
    I'm not saying it's safe, I'm just saying it is a superior coolant. Straight water tranfers heat much better than coolant, or a 50/50 mix. Kinda like alcohol is a more potent fuel than gasoline, but you can't just use it on your 3g and expect it to run faster.