Thread: transmission speed sensor

Vehicle
    1998 Honda Civic Dx Hatchback

transmission speed sensor

Awhile back when i intalled my new clutch, my mechanic told me the speed sensor inside the transmission was broken and if installed back like that, it would leak power steering fluid. I asked him if there was anthing he could do to fix it because at the time i didnt have the money to fix it, he said he put some jb weld(i dont remember his exact words) and told me that it should hold up for a while. Well a week ago in the morning when i was leaving for work i noticed a huge puddle underneath the car. I opened up my hood and sure enough, my power steering tank was empty. So i decided to get it fix, well the damn part cost well over $200 and some autoshops had no idea what i was talking about! So on saturday i ordered the part from autozone ($198 including tax) and currently im waiting for the part to come in. Howver the car leaks alot about one bottle of bardhal(power steering fluid) a day. My question is, is it ok to drive the car like this? everyday i filled the power steering tank to the top but obiously because of the leak its hard to make turns at low speeds. Can i cause any damage to the power steering system by driving it like this? I use my car very little because of this problem but whenever i make a turn the steering wheel is very hard to turn and it makes some thumping sounds. According to autozone the part should be here by april 3 until then i will have to use the car the way it is as its my only mode of transportation. I just wanna know if driving it this way will cause any problems. Anyone ever had this problem before? Any help would be apreciated thanks.

Vehicle
    ^My other asian body^ 1989 4dr lxi

Re: transmission speed sensor

It could hurt the steering rack operating it with low, or no fluid. If you absoulutely have to drive it, at least try to keep fluid in it, unless it immediately leaks right out, Then I wouldn't run the car at all.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

Wow, you could have bought a used one from the junkyard for about $15-$20. Anyway, just make sure you can keep that thing as full as possible all the time and you should be ok.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si

You could always remove the PS belt and drive without assist until you can get it to stop leaking.
    Mike

Vehicle
    1998 Honda Civic Dx Hatchback

Thanks for the responses guys i got the speed sensor in this tuesday and had it install this wednesday. The car is now leak free and in fact turns easier and smother than before it had the problem. I did try the junkyard first but more than half of them didnt have any 3rd gen accords, others had no idea what i was talking about and were trying to sell me the actual speed sensor hell one even said the one from a 4th gen would fit perfectly since according to him the 3th and 4th gens have the same engine just different style lol Anyways car is up and running better than ever before gotta love the 3geez!!!

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX

This same thing happend when I pulled out my transmission out of my 94 prelude si to do the clutch. Common problem I'm assuming if you haven't done it before.

I found a guy that was parting out his car and he sold me his for $15.

Glad your car is running good.