Thread: Yet Another Cruise Control Question

2ndGenGuy

Yet Another Cruise Control Question

My cruise control has been working great for a long time. A couple months ago, it started working intermittently, then completely stopped working. I've tested the Brake Switch, the Clutch Switch, the Master On/Off Switch on the dash, and the Steering Wheel Switches. My conclusion is that the CC Computer is dead and I want to replace it.

I've been through all the forums, searched my factory service manual and my Chilton's manual. I can't seem to figure out where the black box is for the cruise control computer. Can anybody help me figure out where I may find it?

Thanks!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Re: Yet Another Cruise Control Question

Rumor has it it is very high in the dash, behind the cluster somewhere. Basically, you have to take the dash out to get to it. It has a 13 wire harness that connects to it ( i know this for sure). Also, the manual and auto transmission cruise control computers are different. Be sure to get the right one! The box is silver and about the size of a small radar detector or skinny pack of cigs--pretty small. The part number will have 36700-SXX-XXX; the last 5 numbers are different for the different type of transmissions and trim lines I believe. In any case, the part number will be on a sticker on the box. I would check your vacuum connections under the hood as well. If you find the computer, let us know exactly where it is

2ndGenGuy

Thanks man. Sounds like it might be an all day project. I'll keep you up to date.

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI

Its behind the dash bolted to the lower part of the A-pillar, pretty much behind the drivers side vent if I remember correctly (I removed mine a long time ago). Its not that hard to get out. You have to take the lower dash off and you can get a wrench up there to remove it. You may or may not have to unbold the fuse box and a few other things and push them out of the way. (the process is so similar to changing an alarm module in a mk3 vw that I'm getting the two confused) Its not the most comfortable position to work in but its alot easier then pulling the whole dash off. Shouldn't take too long it's only a couple of bolts, or screw, or nuts, I really don't remember it very well.

sorry for the semi possibly usefull reply,
    andy

2ndGenGuy

Thanks Andy, any input helps man! It doesn't sound like it will be any harder than the freakin' brake booster was!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

The Honda book says it is behind the left kick panel. I would guess up high. The guy who sold me a CC computer said it was way high and that the dash would have to come out if I wanted to mount it in the original position. I know it's crowded around that dash fusebox, so it will be in a mess of stuff!

2ndGenGuy

Well, in that case, I guess I'll be waiting until after I get back from vacation. I was hoping to have it fixed before I go, but i'm out of time. I'm taking the 2gee down to Cali, then Arizona for the next 3 weeks. Thank god the A/C still blows cold.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    It doesn't sound like it will be any harder than the freakin' brake booster was!
    Changing the brake booster on these cars is a bitch, isn't it?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Yeah it was a pain in the ass. Mostly gettin the damn thing in and out. I don't think I ever got mine adjusted properly... Brakes are still a bit squishier than they ever were. Maybe I just need to bleed the brakes off some more...

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

i've used a vacuum bleeder on my car with excellent results, in fact, it's probably the only way i've gotten all of the air out before.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Was it an electric pump, or a hand pump? I've tried a hand pump bleeder once before, and I was less than pleased. It just wound up making things worse somehow. Maybe it was a cheap-ass bleeder, I dunno... got it from AutoZone for like $30... It was the nicest they had.

I made it to California... I'm there right now. It wasn't so bad not having cruise. I don't think I'll miss it when I get to Arizona or Las Vegas after that... Damn I'm putting so many miles on the 2gee.

Vehicle

really? the one i use is just a plastic jar that connects in-line to a Mityvac hand vacuum pump. as long as you keep your reservoir full it works great.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Hmm, maybe I didn't have it on tight enough. I'll have to give it another shot...