Thread: Engine fan/cooling system operation

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Engine fan/cooling system operation

I have a little problem with the radiator fans kicking on. Here is the deal. I jumped the wires to the fans to make sure they work. I tested the relay to make sure it works. The fans kick on when the motor gets warm, & sometimes they don't. My temperature sensor on the block is ok too. The thermostat is new, but I'm yanking it out till winter.

I'm not at work & don't have access to Mitchell program at the moment. Has anyone had to replace the temperature switch on the bottom of the radiator? Anyone had similar problems with the fans kicking on when they want? How much does the ECU play on everything working right? I'm looking at this mouse wiring diagram in my manuals. Trying to narrow the issue to what it could be.

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i

Re: Engine fan/cooling system operation

i recently replaced the themor sensor in the bottom of my rad. 80 bones later thanks to honda. its pretty simple, drian all your coolant, un-plug the sensor, take it out, i for some reaon think its a 17mm not im not sure. but the new sensor in , plug it up, put all the coolant in it and make sure you dont have any air in the system. make sure you dont and havent droped the new sensor, from what i know they are a kinda sensitive to that kinda stuff, other then that its simple. g-luck
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Don't forget to get a new o-ring for the sensor. Cheap insurance against leaks. Just my $.02
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Called around for the temperature sensor. Honda wanted about $53, some auto part stores didn't even carry one. Napa had one for $37. Just need to find out which brand it is. Got my weekend planned out with replacing the radiator too.....
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 04-04-2006 at 06:33 PM. Reason: word left out

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i

i forgot to say take your old on out first and take it down to Napa or where ever your gonna get one cause i went down to a parts shop intown ( lordco, dont know if you have them in the states) and they had two different sensors and neither one matched mine so i bit the bullet and went straight through honda
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Well, I got the sensor for $17 and some change. New radiator for $99, lifetime warranty. The temperature sensor takes a 22 mm wrench & came with new O-ring.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Last up-date on what happened. I installed a brand new thermostat on it. Well the thermostat was defective after installing the new radiator. Coolant wasn't flowing through the radiator. I'm sure the temperature sensor was bad. Anyhow, she runs without getting hot & back on the road. I'm sure glad I didn't get the motor hot enough to blow the head gasket.

Edit- Had to replace the radiator when the thermostat was defective & temperature sensor was on the blink. Cracked the radiator on the top plastic piece. Also, the fans kick on when there supposed to now.

Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 04-09-2006 at 02:25 PM.