Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make direct 6.5" baskets for our car?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

Does anyone make direct 6.5" baskets for our car?

Well weather has been nicer to me so I decided to see if I can replace the shitty alpine front speakers with my 6.5" mb quarts I bought last year. I dont remember exactly how I did it before on my 87 4door, but it was kinda ghetto fabbed in there, when it was done, it looked and sounded great. But Im having issues getting them in my 2dr hatch

Are there any 6.5" mounting plates or brackets or anything? They arent exactly "shallow mount" but I had them in there before without being in the way of the window, so Im sure I can do it again. But instead of doing a ghetto fab job I would be interested in purchasing something to make my 6.5"s fit. I dont have access to anything to do it myself this time, so purchase would be nice.

And Ive got a pair of mpyre 6.5" subs going in the 6.5's in the back. 200w each added to my big 12 and these mbq up front I should have a good sounding system again. Get rid of this alpine shit.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: Does anyone make direct 6.5" baskets for our car?

not that i know about but all u have to do is cut out the back of the basket

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

they do make adapters/spacers for speakers like yours. try this link:
    http://www.installer.com/speakerparts/

I'm working on installing my Pioneer 6x9's in my rear deck. I'll be buying those 1 1/2" spacers to give my speakers a firm mounting surface, as opposed to the towels I have holding them up now. The spacer will allow me to install my 6x9's without cutting the sheet metal on my back deck. I won't be able to use the stock speaker covers, but I have the Pioneer covers that came with the speakers. You might be able to reinstall the stock covers over the adapters/spacers you buy for your speakers, but don't be suprised if they puch the speaker out too far for that. You might want to measure your mounting depth (the distance between the mounting surface where the holes are and the back of your voice coil), and compare it to the depth you have to the back of the speaker basket. Buy the slimmest adapter/spacer that will give you clearance, which will also give you your best chance of reinstalling the factory speaker grills. Worst case scenario: like Ghetto said you can cut out the back of the basket, or you could cut out the grill section of the speaker cover and use the after-market cover that comes with your speakers. If you cut out the back of the basket, just make sure your voice coil isn't in the way of the window when it's down. The basket is there for a reason.

Banned
    Vehicle
    89 Honda LX

Pick up some metra brand mounts from best buy for a 95-99 neon. They should work fine.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

well i was wrong i thought these cars came with stock 6 1/2 i had to cut out the front baskets for my 5 1/4

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

well when my mom got the car they had a cassate player installed....after i got some money i got a nice cd player with MP3... the speakers sounded kinda crapy so i went out and got some cheap 6.5 inch speakers they were only 25 bucks...i took out the 5 1/4 inch speakers out and i put in my 6.5 inch...the back of the speaker was big so i screwed them in but its like hovering....they still sound good until one of the grills hit and it made a bad rattle...i took out the grill and hit it from the inside out and now it does not rattle...you should not have alot of problems...if you want do it the right way get a dremel and cut out the hole

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

i swear my old front door speakers were the 6.5 inch ones. i measured the front and rear ones and they were the same size. even when they were laid cone to cone, the rear were the same size as the rear. i wonder why they would make them different on differnt bodys. probably even on the same body and trim level. oh, and i have 6.5 inch front speakers now so i cant really explain that.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

That link at http://www.installer.com/speakerparts/ which one should I use? The top universal ones? Not a bad price

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

I hear you HondaBoy. According to Crutchfield, our cars came with either 5.25 or 6.5" speakers. No way to know until you take the grill off I guess. Although I would imagine it probably had something to do with the model (say my LX, which has all the power goodies on it, versus another model with fewer creature comforts....the baser model probably came with smaller speakers up front). That's just a guess though. I know my front speakers are 6.5"

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

Fyre: just remember, I don't know if those spacers will push the speakers out too far to reinstall the factory speaker grills. They seem to come out a pretty good ways from the door panel, but I don't really know just how much clearance there is in there. If all else fails, you could get some speakers that have a shorter top mounting measurement. ;-)

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

Theres no way im trading in these reference speakers for something more shallow. Im not too worried about factory speaker grills anyways, they can be modified to fit if need be. its good its 1" mounting depth because these speakers are almost 3" deep 0.o, they would totally hit the windows right now, so ill get those put in and see where we go

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by HondaBoy
    i swear my old front door speakers were the 6.5 inch ones. i measured the front and rear ones and they were the same size. even when they were laid cone to cone, the rear were the same size as the rear. i wonder why they would make them different on differnt bodys. probably even on the same body and trim level. oh, and i have 6.5 inch front speakers now so i cant really explain that.

My 86 LX came stock with 6.5's all around

I know because my stock paper cones died so I picked up some cheap poly cone 6.5's and they went it with no problems.
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    1987 Accord EF Extra(rhd) A18A

word, i've got 6.5's all around, and my car is as base-model as they come. just hit up the junkyard for some different panels.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

hmm, mine are 5.25" Damn canadian cars, changing all over.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe

Quote Originally Posted by FyreDaug
    hmm, mine are 5.25" Damn canadian cars, changing all over.
    I have 6.5's all around as well.

It ain the Canadians.
    My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

:| Well im gonna buy that universal adapter and call it a day. Godda tune my sub in its new box soon too. Then we'll be good. Too bad I dont have an amp for the mbq's :|

Vehicle

well my car came stock with 6 1/2's and i put 5 1/4's in u might want to try just cuttin ou the back side of the black baskit and making your own ring cause if i remeber correctly my mounts had holes for both sizes i dident have to drill new holes

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

The adapters are on their way, ill post in here with any success I have. Keep in mind these are very deep speakers (reference class mb quart)

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

Fyre: good deal. I just ordered my spacers and baffles today. Hopefully they'll be shipped as quickly as your were. Let me know how long they take to get to you!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

Took them about 19hours before I got the email saying they were shipped. No sure how long they say. I imagine they are US based because they said "yes we ship to canada" so I bet youll get yours first

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

eh, we'll see. They ship either Priority Mail (US Postal Service) or UPS according to the website. I would imagine in your case it will be UPS.....could be either for me.....anyways, if I do get mine forst I'll post my results.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

Ok cool, hopefully its all direct bolt up

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

Just out of curiosity, what are MB Quarts? I haven't heard of them.

Finally bought a pair of decent (not great) Pioneer 6.5" for my front doors....They beat the crap out of the old factory speakers that were in there. Luckily I had 6.5" stock, so mine bolted right in.

I actually think I messed up when I ordered my baffles. I ordered the 6x9, since the rear deck speakers I'm using are 6x9's, but the mounting holes are 6.5" (which is why I ordered the spacers). Oh well....I was going to have to drill holes in the rear deck to mount the speakers anyway....I'll just have to use longer screws so I can attach the baffles underneath.

So my current setup is:

Sony CDX-GT200 (mp3, aux input...not a bad little head unit for 110 bucks)
    Pioneer 6x9's rear
    Pioneer 6.5's front

Has anyone ever put speakers in the back doors on the four doors? Is it worthwhile? I might just buy an amp and a sub for the trunk and call it good enough...I listen to rock, so I don't really need a high dollar system.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler225
    Just out of curiosity, what are MB Quarts? I haven't heard of them.
    They're good (and expensive) speakers.
    My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

I paid a good 400 bucks (with shipping) for my mbquart speakers.... www.mbquart.com

High end stuff, next to focal

EDIT: BTW, oval speakers suck, they flex funny under high volumes (slightly) but im an audiophile... so ive trained myself to listen to wierd things like that, and amp clipping you can kind of hear aswell