Thread: all motor or power adder?

DX User

all motor or power adder?

which would make more power on basically stock internals... I've been reading the board for a while, and I know that I have options, but which has worked out better for you guys

Vehicle
    89 Accord Lx-i

Re: all motor or power adder?

uuuuh what will make more power

^the new ride^ Mazda rx-7.. gettin 'r done without pistons since 1978
    "Spoiler size is inversely proportional to wee-wee size"
    the ex - 3rd gen owner

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

Get a CAI and make it fit, header back 2.25" piping with no cat, buy a 272 cam, lose the power steering and A/C...the list goes on.
    -Harvey

DX User

ok here's the deal... which would I be better off doing? Going with high compression, or using the turbo and intercooler that I have laying around

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

Our engines are better set up for boost.

Iron Block = perfectness
    -Harvey

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord LXi 2dr 5 speed Monster, yes it's factory

look people just do what all americans have been doing for the last 50-60 yrs and take your motor to the machine shop and leave them a blank check,they will hook you up like never before. thats what i did with my last what like 3 motors and they were all sexyful when they came back. i just haven't had the a20 done because i only have 198000 on it and i just got it broke in, if you have one you know what i mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpenguin
    Because god hates you and he isn't trying to hide it anymore

DX User

Im running a carb'd motor with the black box removed... no AC, and a little weight reduction... I messed something up racing a couple of weeks ago so I have to go through the motor anyways, and while I had it out, I was going to have the head shaved or use my welding skills to make a log manifold out of my stock 4-1 manifold

DX User

has anyone on here adapted the stock manifold?

I used to be into turbocharged 2.2 mopars, so I know about turbos, and having some parts laying around, I know I can do it, but Im not going to spend 500 for a manifold

DX User

a lot of the mopar cars weren't intercooled from the factory, and used an internal wastegate set up.. I figure I could adapt a civic air box as a bonnet, and run water injection or something as an intercooler, and have a real easy clean set up... what do you guys think

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

If you can get the flange from the stock manifold and you have some welding skills you can make your own for sure. AccordEpicenter did it. The weak link in our engines is the pistons so I don't think you can run too many pounds on a stock engine, but our bottom end is solid. Just don't rev too high and you should be okay.
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    89 Accord Lx-i

www.homemadeturbo.com go there for fabrication help. its not which one is gonna give you more power, cause pretty much no matter how you go about it for the money your going to get more power out of boost. all depends on how much work you wanna put into it

the ex - 3rd gen owner

DX User

I was thinking about turning the stock manifold upside down and bolting it back on, then welding the flange for the turbo on... anybody tried that?

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

well if you are turning that manifold upside down you are rewelding the flange, so at that point you might as well make a real manifold. the parts are fairly cheap.

but yeah the only decently fast a20's are boosted, except a rare few. if you are familiar with turbocharging already, and have the means for fabricating a kit, then go for it. but you might want EFI swap first.

DX User

Im really wanting to stick with a carb'd setup... I know its easier to control boost A/F using EFI... but that's just more crap that I am going to have to go through... I don't mind having to tune the car myself... that's most of the fun

Vehicle
    89 Accord Lx-i

well if you want to make a "reliable" carb turbo system your gonna hafta make a draw through design, which basically means the turbo draws air from the carb. there was a site that has log style maifolds that you welded together yourself for like 110 for a-series motors. anyone know the link?

the ex - 3rd gen owner

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by white ricer
    well if you want to make a "reliable" carb turbo system your gonna hafta make a draw through design, which basically means the turbo draws air from the carb. there was a site that has log style maifolds that you welded together yourself for like 110 for a-series motors. anyone know the link?
    Wrong about the draw through vs blow through..

No one has tried this to my knowledge, but what about using the 88/89 tri-y manifold and making 2 tubes that come up from the manifold..(top mount style, with the turbo's exhaust inlet facing down) with the turbo slightly to the passenger side, almost in the middle of the tranny/engine. You should be able to fit a/c, ps, everything. I had a/c and ps with my old turbo setup. By using the factory manifold, you only have to fabricate 2 stainless tubes, and you avoid all the normal problems of with fabricated manifolds, warpage, etc. Shit, you could even use the factory heat shield.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote Originally Posted by white ricer
    Its easier to set up but you need a turbo with the carbon seal and you can't run an intercooler.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost....1&postcount=61
    I want to run draw thru, but I was thinking of dropping the carbon seal restraint so I can use any old turbo even without the carbon seal by adding a valve(s) to releive vacuum on the conpressor side of the housing. The valve will seal under boost but is throttle sensitive so when you begin to open the throttle the valve closes... then the throttle shuts the valve is forced open.
    Extreme Manifold Vacuum still might suck out oil though... manifold vacuum will raise regardless of the bypass or not and maybe running a carbon seal is the only simple solution when considering draw thru.

Here is the civic 4bbl blow thru.

- llia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

youll make more power and be faster with a power adder. Go TURBO
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

DX User

I have some turbo manifolds from my old daytona laying around in my room, I think I am going to try to adapt it to my car... Ill try to take some pics soon to let you guys in on the progress

Vehicle
    1991 Civic STD

Please do!

Of course I'm lazy. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have gotten a DSM
    Daily Drivers Done Right

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

hmm....do it. you'll have the first turboed carb on this board if i'm not mistaken.

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

sound like you know what your talking about. also sounds like you are good at fabricating parts. so i'd say make that a project. keep that low compression and go turbo since you have parts for it. i think that'd be the coolest thing. drop the kehin for higher cfm carb and be set. i'm probably going to keep my accord carbed. i've only modified what i can as of now on the stock carb. even though its not as radical as some carb mods its good for me.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

DX User

for right now... I am going to port the keihn, and use it because I think that the air jet controller would work as a nice fmu... and I want to experiment with it, but once Im done experimenting with it... I want to use a 500cfm holley, and a safc or wideband