Thread: oil driven turbo?

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

oil driven turbo?

i seen a old thread on there where someone mentions an oil driven turbo, so what about somthing thats hydraulic, like using the ps pump to turn somthing.
    there is massive psi behind that puppy. what are ye thoughts.

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX-i HB (traded). Now 96 Civic EX coupe

Re: oil driven turbo?

That certainly would be interesting, but keep in mind that rubber seals tend to be specific to what kind of material they are in contact with. It will break down, enlarge.... all sorts of wierd things can happen.

I don't think it would be the smartest idea IMHO, but it's definatly an interesting thought.... anybody else have thoughts on this that is smarter than me? lol

03 Nissan Maxima 6spd 3.5L -- Daily Driver
    96 Civic Ex-T 210whp/183wtq @ 9.5 psi tuned on Hondata s300 -- Now at 12psi, unknown power
    04 CBR600RR - Sold, and now wrecked. RIP

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

well as far as i know the power steering in alot of these cars get used aloot and never have to be maintained as far as i know, just check the fluid, i could be wrong but i never had to anyway.

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

Are you sure the person did not mean oil cooled? I have never heard of a turbo being spun by hydraulic pressure alone.

He may have been saying that he had specifically an oil cooled turbo, versus some other turbos which are cooled by both oil and water.

You could maybe have a pump driven by the engine make hydraulic pressure to drive another hydraulic motor which would turn a supercharger. It could work, but would probably be a lot of work. And you would lose energy in the pump and hydraulic motor.

I once had a crazy idea of using hydralic pressure to drive back wheels (like hydrostatic drive in some lawnmowers and tractors), but I do not believe it would be efficient beyond 30-40MPH.
    Last edited by Swap_File; 04-05-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

No i didnt misread anything, i was just thinking after seeing the oil driven turbo thead, that if it would be posible to make one that runs off the ps pump or a diferent hydralic motor.

I figure the ps pump because it already has to work to turn the wheels, so for people who dont want power steering, to give it a new task, running a sc/turbo

Gives me somthing to think about, im probably crazy to even think about it. lol

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    im probably crazy to even think about it. lol

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

heheeheh yea i need some of those to go with some of my crazy ideas, cuz then they would never happen, in turn i live longer

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

rofl at least you are a good sport about it! hehe

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

maybe a crazy idea, but at least your thinking, thats good
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    No i didnt misread anything, i was just thinking after seeing the oil driven turbo thead, that if it would be posible to make one that runs off the ps pump or a diferent hydralic motor.
    I figure the ps pump because it already has to work to turn the wheels, so for people who dont want power steering, to give it a new task, running a sc/turbo
    Gives me somthing to think about, im probably crazy to even think about it. lol
    \
    the closest one is an air driven pneumatic turbo. Works off of a compressed air chamber. Not really ideal. but its something made to work. It all comes down not to the ability to work, but the efficiency of the product and the long time profit of it. for now, ill stick with the conventional turbo design.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Alfa Romeo used an oil driven turbo.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i

well i dont know if using the ps pump would work, when you said it would be easy to use since some ppl run without ps but the only reason i would unhook ps is to gain some free power, without the motor having to turn the pump you would then gain "free power" but if i unhook it just to hook it back up for a turbo it seems kinda pointless to unhook it , well for me anyways. i guess if you were to add another ps pump, that might be better
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

To optimize the efficiency of the power transfer, the hydraulic pressure would have to be very high with very low volume, and the hydraulic motor itself would be geared at a high ratio to the shaft of the compressor. The advantage to this would be instantaneous, controllable boost at virtually any rpm. I believe it is likely these will become commonplace in the future.

2 more points: 1, the pulley drive system for the p/s pump cannot transmit the kind of power required for this setup, and 2, the centrifugal compressor would have to be properly sized to the application, so you wouldn't surge it at low engine speed. You don't run into this problem with a big turbo on a little engine because you also have a big turbine that doesn't spin the compressor fast enough at low engine speed to surge it. The hydraulic pump could spin the compressor as fast at 1500rpm as the turbine wheel could at 4500.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

oh well, was an interesting idea. thanks for shooting it down.

lol

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

It was a Centrifugal supercharger.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.autocomponenti.com/tech.htm
    "Then, in the mid 60's, Alfa Romeo built the GTA-SA Alfa GTA-SA engine with Hydroblower. The twin centrifugal superchargers are driven by a variable displacement hydraulic pump.

Photo courtesy of Don Black with twin centrifugal superchargers driven by hydraulic motors. It used an engine-driven variable displacement pump to maintain compressor speed. Using pressurized carburetors for fuel management, and water injection as a detonation suppressant, it produced 250 Hp at 7500 RPM from the 1570cc twin plug GTA engine.
    Positive displacement superchargers make boost throughout the entire range and there is no lag between throttle opening and boost. The power to drive them is taken from the crankshaft, but a compressor bypass valve can reduce the loss to only a couple Hp at part throttle so fuel economy is not sacrificed. "
    - llia

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

a centrifugal supercharger compressor works in the sampe principle as a turbo compressor. hence the centrifugal supercharger has its own flow charts. they dont spin that fast. so i guess hydraulics can drive it in contrary to the turbo that spins at 300,000 rpm and more.

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by b8er
    but the only reason i would unhook ps is to gain some free power, without the motor having to turn the pump you would then gain "free power" but if i unhook it just to hook it back up for a turbo it seems kinda pointless to unhook it
    I'm not sure I follow you. Yes we remove the PS because it robs HP from the engine and makes the car weigh less, but if you can use it for FI it's the same principal as a Supercharger, being driven by the engine requires some power, but the gain in power from forcing more air and fuel into the engine is worth it.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    a centrifugal supercharger compressor works in the sampe principle as a turbo compressor. hence the centrifugal supercharger has its own flow charts. they dont spin that fast. so i guess hydraulics can drive it in contrary to the turbo that spins at 300,000 rpm and more.
    well, I think the speed of the actual compressor itself, the shaft rpm, could be just as high as a turbo. It's all about the gearing between the hydraulic 'motor' and the compressor shaft..

All in all, I think this is actually a very good idea. I think that doing this electrically would be difficult for a number of reasons, and I think the parasitic losses of the hydraulic sytem when not in boost could be minimized quite effectively. As gas prices continue to go up, people are going to seek ways of extracting more and more power out of smaller engines, without sacrificing low rpm power, you know how oems are with their undersized turbos..

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    well, I think the speed of the actual compressor itself, the shaft rpm, could be just as high as a turbo. It's all about the gearing between the hydraulic 'motor' and the compressor shaft..
    All in all, I think this is actually a very good idea. I think that doing this electrically would be difficult for a number of reasons, and I think the parasitic losses of the hydraulic sytem when not in boost could be minimized quite effectively. As gas prices continue to go up, people are going to seek ways of extracting more and more power out of smaller engines, without sacrificing low rpm power, you know how oems are with their undersized turbos..
    princess auto sells all the shit here to mok somthing up hehe, gearing wise

i was actually thinking using chains to step up the rpm