Thread: 89 carb: starts then dies seconds later and other problems

DX User

89 carb: starts then dies seconds later and other problems

So i tried searching but i really don't know what i'm looking at because i know absolutely nothing about carburated cars. You all can hate cause i'm a poor broke kid who knows nothing about the car he has and just wants it so he can go to work. I've been flamed on plenty of other forums for it. I just hope someone can help me. Please.

All i know about the car is that the previous owner said it ran fine at one point but idled at 2k. Then one day he said he tried to start it and it would idle for about 5 solid seconds then just die. When i got the car it wouldn't start at all. After a lot of process of elimination i replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Now the car is back to the original problem. It starts but only idles for a short bit and dies. At one point i got it to run for a slightly extended period of time and i revved it a little bit only to have it die again and when it died a relatively small cloud of smoke rose up from between the carburator and the firewall. I've never seen it do it before and i can't duplicate the incident. If anyone has any advice whatsoever please help. I just bought a manual for the car as well so hopefully that'll help some too. Thanks.

DX User

Re: 89 carb: starts then dies seconds later and other problems

Did you replace both fuel filters? There is a fuel filter that is situated under the car by the fuel tank. That's the one that is most likely to cause problems. Of course, it's probably best to replace both of them.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Re: 89 carb: starts then dies seconds later and other problems

- llia