Thread: '87 LX-I: What's the damn brake setup?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXI

Question '87 LX-I: What's the damn brake setup?

Is the LX-I front disk/rear drum or full disk? I can't remember and I've never taken my rear wheels off.

Check 3g with a different mission: Sport Utility! o.O for the beginning of this project.

Along with the stuff from the above thread, I'm interested in four wheel disk big brake conversion with slotted/dimpled rotors and some ass kicking pads -- I want my rally edition 3g to be able to stop in a fucking hurry

Hopefully by the time I get around to this part, I'll have swapped my tranny (hoping for manual 'lude -- just waiting for one. Might go ahead and do manual 3g -- anyone have any comments on one or the other? What other trannies are swappable, without rebuilding the entire gearbox inside the 3g bell like the teg tranny?)

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    front disc rer drum i think ! only SEi are full discs !
    could someone confirm this !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by ACCORD EX
    front disc rer drum i think ! only SEi are full discs !
    could someone confirm this !

MIKE
    Confirmed as correct

The only cost effective way besides doing the rear disk conversion, is for you to upgrade to the slightly larger front disk brakes that the 88-89 LXI/SEI cars had. Otherwise you'd have to use a big brake kit from another car, not only are those expensive,(at least $380 per axle minimum), but you'll have to create a way to adapt them to our cars(custom brackets) or pay someone that is creative enough to figure it out.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXI
    Hhm.. Okay, so disk front/drum back.

Need to convert to rear disks.. Do I need to find rear disks off of something else, or can I use front disks? I'm not sure if a conversion entails a lot of tweaking with the actual guts of the braking system, or just the wheel section.

If I can get disks all around with quality rotors and pads, I wont necessarily worry about going huge.

Although there is an article in the how to section about the big brake conversion for our cars -- the person that did the tutorial made special brackets for the calipers. Perhaps I can contact that person and see about obtaining a few sets. Then again, I dunno if I'll ever have the car fast enough to need them in the first place =op

-zv

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    For the rear disk conversion you'll need parts off the SEI cars.
    My understanding is you'll need the rear disk's themselves, the rear trailing arm, calipers and caliper mounts, (emergency brake hanger?), proportioning valve, brake fluid resevor and possibly the master cylinder.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads

Now I d

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXI
    Is there a master cylinder for each axle? Hell, I guess I should start looking for an SE-I. Might as well find one with a manual so I can swap that too.

Hrm. Blarg!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    No, one master cylinder for the whole car.

Now I d

Vehicle
    Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

Confirmed as correct

ai ai sir !

MIKE

Vehicle
    Black 1989 LX-I Coupe and 2000 EX V6 coupe
    I wonder if I could find all those parts from a dealer. "hi, I would like to know if you have whole rear brake set-up for a 1989 accord se-i" I think they'd laugh. But hey I'll do it wednesday.
    Check my cardomain for sale items! Cardomain

Vehicle
    try www.hondaautomotiveparts.com !

but man the caliper is sooooooooooooo expensive !
    mIKE

Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX ... 2001 Accord LX
    Junkyard parts man, only way to do it.
    Good bye to the 1989 DX Type R. Hello 2001 LX.

DX:

"Four wheels, four doors, and no frills."

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Oh man I'd hate to have to pay the bill from the dealer. But around here junkyard parts ain't to cheap either. But they are still cheaper than the dealer.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 accord hatchback lxi
    earlier in the thread u said u wanted to put a lude tranny on your car.just to let you know you will have to get different cv shafts for the tranny swap to work.i recently found that out the hard way.my 3g has a lude si tranny and there was a gap in between the cv and the tranny and total destroy my cv shaft.u might be able to find one off another car that will fit but i just went and had one made.

BIZZAR KUSTOMZ C.C.

THE ONLY CREW IN AZ SHOWN 3G LOVE.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by sinracer
    earlier in the thread u said u wanted to put a lude tranny on your car.just to let you know you will have to get different cv shafts for the tranny swap to work.i recently found that out the hard way.my 3g has a lude si tranny and there was a gap in between the cv and the tranny and total destroy my cv shaft.u might be able to find one off another car that will fit but i just went and had one made.
    WTF? This is a thread about brakes.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    well...since you have an 87 lxi..

you need to upgrade the front to 88-89 lxi/sei front disk/calipers/knuckles (not too sure on the front since i have an 89) Master Cylinder needs to be upgraded also to an 89 lxi or sei one...and porportioning valve (i am running an lxi one right now..still operates fine..not too sure the effects are till i put an sei one on)

for the rear its not as much as jim says.

-rear brake lines..get every line from the caliper to the one that connects to the fender hard line. (this includes the hard line on the trailing arm)
    -ebrake cables (different mount than drum cable so its necessary (doesnt matter if it is from a coupe or sedan)
    -TRAILING ARMS ARE NOT needed. There are four bolts that hole the actual rear disc center to the trailing arm. Just loosen those and the hard brake lines off the traling arm and the trailing arm is no longer necessary. The actual rear disc is needed as well as the calipers/rotors. The balljoint on the upper control arm (UCA) is technically not neccessary but if you do get it from a junk yard its a lot easier to just unbolt the UCA if you dont have a balljoint press.

That should be all for the rear disc area.. the front i dont have much knowledge in terms of upgrading since I was already an 89 lxi and required minimal swapping.

I've done the swap on my car personally, so i can give a shot in answering your questions.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11356

-Derek
    Last edited by Busted_Blue; 09-26-2004 at 12:23 AM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Dude, this thread is 2 years old. I'm sure he got the information he needed.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    oops..lol..i'm sure a newbie is reading this too.

My bad...i posted at 3am..so i didnt bother to look at the time. =D