Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co2

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Dx and 1987 Honda Civic Si

Co2

ive been reading about CO2 injection alot lately and was wondering if you shot CO2 directly into your carb would it help at all, or would it be bad for it, or would it do nothing at all
    Noodle

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Co2

Carbon dioxed? uh no. it aint flamable is the easiest way I can explain it,

wp

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

so far ive experimented with di-hydro-fluroine ( basically the stuff in the compressed air cans u get at a comuter store or where ever) i was able at the end of the semester to do a few combutsion tests in my schools chem lab and found this stuff does burn quite well only problem it burns unstable, however it has properties like that of freon but im still testing it

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

co2 injection is for your turbo intercooler.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

yeah its a cheap easy way of intercooler cooling like he said, i have seen in a magazine it dynoed about 30whp on a pretty high (300-500whp ish) setup... so its definetly worth looking into, but probably only on a boosted car.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Right but there using it to cool the outside of the intercooler. Compressed its very cold. You can use it to ship things frozen. I dont think its dry ice but its like it.

wp

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

well dry ice is its solid form

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle

dry ice is CO2.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

LXi User

Dry ice burns the living crap out of you when you touch it. Basically what boba said is what I've heard and read. It's not super beneficial ona stock low-hp engine but, after you start making some good numbers it's like throwing icing on the cake. Remember they also have the intake pipe ones that you can hook up sequentially. Like one at the begining of your cai then another further down, then a third right before the tb. And all that's coming from the same push of the button. Pretty neat but pricey.
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Don't spray directly inside, but route the C02 lines inside the intake... run a small tube or tubes thru the intake... but do not shoot the CO2 into the intake... the CO2 runs thru the tube(s) and comes out the other end. This will cause the small tubes to freeze and air passing past the tubes inside your intake pipe will be cooled.

Aim the sray of the CO2 nozzle so that it cools the intake manifold... that way it isn't wasted.

Just make sure the spray is far away from the intake filter.

Of course the more tubes you add the more cooling but also the more restriction. so maybe have a 2.5" diameter segment of intake pipe close to the TB where you can drill some holes and run the CO2 pipes thru.
    - llia

LXi User

wait wait wait so lemme get this straight a20. Instead of paying the like 150 that cyrotech wants for that special circle intake segment*if you don't know what I'm talking about I'll post a link* you can just get some copper *best heat conductor for the money* tubing and then braze a fitting that connects to a line that connects to the CO2 tank? What is preventing people from making homemade kits? The only issue that you couldn't "jimmie rig" would be the solenoid, right? And those you can buy seperate at summit. Could you use a Nitrous solenoid, sometimes you can find those for cheap on eBay. That would be pretty neat instead of paying the total $650+*kit plus intake tube*
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

LXi User

Quote Originally Posted by cke
    The price to performance characteristic wouldn't be as effective as nitrous injection.

=/
    Yeah but, at least where I live nitrous refilling is so outragesly priced you might as well open up your own filling station. Where as co2 is pretty cheap.
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

hears some products ive found for the use of co2 there made by cryo2 enjoy http://www.cryo2.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=1

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i, 94 Altima

I know a guy that runs a Cry02 system. You can feel the difference, but you can easily go through a 5lb tank of CO2 in one night.
    94 Altima [KA24DE, auto - 15.9]
    94 Sentra SE-R [SR20DE, 55 shot - ??.??]

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

u can also go thu a bottle of nos in one night but this is safer and a hole lot cheaper im talk 200 less the nos with a ten lb bottle and all the stuuf to hook it op plus u can get the cryogenic fuel chamber and intake system for cheap

LXi User

Quote Originally Posted by 89se-i
    I know a guy that runs a Cry02 system. You can feel the difference, but you can easily go through a 5lb tank of CO2 in one night.
    Ok but is it like just a slight increase or difference or does it sling you back in your seat almost giving you whiplash? Also, what type of Cry02 system is he running. There's different kinds. Also I've been thinking about this. What's keeping people from using like "industry" size tanks. I mean nothing *to my knowledge* is different about those tanks then the small 5lbs and 10lbs bottles. So like the kind that you can get from the dentist that size not the necessarily the size they use to fill up ballons w/ helium. Just a thought so that you don't run out as quick plus youre honestly probably paying a tick for the name brand bottle. I belive the NOS *brand* bottles from Summit are like 120 bucks which is insane! *You're paying for the name, or at least that my opinon* Just a thought
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle

nothing but weight keeps them from running industry sized tanks
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

LXi User

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i
    nothing but weight keeps them from running industry sized tanks
    Ok. Well that's the only thing I could figure but, even then an empty propane tank really isn't that heavy. I mean to get that much more life I doubt 15lbs would effect performance that much. Eh... but what do I know.
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

from what i hear all the gains are negated because the C02 seems to find its way into the intake air and pretty much cancels any real gains. You can spray alcohol/water all over your intercooler to get a good power gain
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

LXi User

I think mainly what was being talked about besides the intercooler sprayer is the fuel bar "chiller" and the Intake plumb tube thing. C02 shouldn't get in the intake tube from the intake specific tube thing unless the welds are just really really bad. I just wonder how good the gains are. I mean to me it doesn't seem like its worth it unless you're already pushing a lot of hp. Nitrous for the same price seems to have better effects w/o a doubt.
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

DX User
    Vehicle

i only road in the car once, but it felt like the difference from a sumemr day to a real cold winter day. personally i dont think its worth the money.

also 5lbs is the capacity of the tank, not the tank weigh. the tank is probably 10-20lbs depending on the construction material. the bigger type of tank i think you are talking about, is usually steal and can weigh over 100lbs. As for buying a generic tank, a 5lb co2 ank goes for about 60 or so.

I have been thinkign about making a diy system like cryO2. I dont know much about gas tanks, btu i think you need a dip tube, so the CO@ comes out as extremely cold liquid, instead of cool gas. Can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by 89se-i; 01-16-2006 at 10:55 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle

accidental double post.

Vehicle

so i was thinking instead of using co2 what about compresed air

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Compressed air to?
    - llia

Vehicle

intake