Thread: Smoke from the steering column

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Smoke from the steering column UPDATE

Well shit just what i needed moving into a new house and all. I came last week from work and when i pulled the key out of the igntion I swear i saw smoke. I ran into the house like a nut found some pliers and pulled the battery termial off. No damage but now I can't find what smoked.
    I have unhooked the radio, checked fuses ran the car several times and I can't get anything to happen. I got the covers off the dash and the steering column. I'm taking it home tonight and maybe the headlights had something to do with it. I got the fire extingusher riding shotgun and the positive terminal loose
    Of course on a unrelated note I got no idle since the battery terminals been off. That always fun to deal with.
    wp
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 05-04-2006 at 10:16 PM. Reason: updated info

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Smoke from the steering column

Heh well not my best idea. 10 min ride i got light smoke seems to be the wires going to the left side ( my left) steering column used for the head light switch. Seems upper red wire and large white get hot and associated board there sodered too. I checked this all while going about a 100 down the highway.

Anyway i killed the lights once i got off I -40 and ran the hazards the rest of the way home and it cooled off so its headlight related

wp

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord
    Well shit just what i needed moving into a new house and all. I came last week from work and when i pulled the key out of the igntion I swear i saw smoke. I ran into the house like a nut found some pliers and pulled the battery termial off. No damage but now I can't find what smoked.
    I thought that only happened to Fords. I once saw a Ford steering column go up in smoke.

That's why I always carry a socket set in the trunk, so I can disconnect the battery, if necessary.

Peace.

The Watcher sees all and knows all. I like to watch!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

It ended up being the combination switch was bad. Its the stuff the lights stick and the wiper stick are attached to. I'm back and running.

wp

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

yup, that's the combo switch, like you discovered. i would assume it was the grease that got a bit too hard and caused too much resistance, or a loose solder joint. i've rebuilt a couple, and they're all fixable problems.

Vehicle
    1989 LXi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher
    I thought that only happened to Fords. I once saw a Ford steering column go up in smoke.
    That's why I always carry a socket set in the trunk, so I can disconnect the battery, if necessary.
    Peace.
    Hah yeah, i had that happen to an old maverick i once owned.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    Hah yeah, i had that happen to an old maverick i once owned.
    Yep parents old maverick did too. 3 days new. Never did work right after that. We nearly frozze to death as little kids in that car.

wp

Vehicle
    1989 LXi Coupe

they are nearly indestructable tho

Had the same smok'in steering colum problem - and yes is was the combination switch - i figured it was coz i had the head light conversion units w/ blue simulated HID bulbs- this puts extra power thru the switch and caused the burning - a good idea is to place a relay on the regualr beam head lights since only the high beams are on a relay. Since ssomeone stole the connversion headlights out of my car I've not had any further smok'in issues

Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lxi hatch

Re: Smoke from the steering column UPDATE

i am currently having the exact same problem. i already replaced my combination switch but the thick white wire is still getting hot. this only happens when i turn the headlights on. could it be a short somewhere in my wiring or just another bad combination switch. i have an 86 hatch lxi.