Thread: I'm not dead....

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Crx Dx Mini-Me

Cool I'm not dead....

I got a new job at midas! 10 hr days thru the week 9 on sat. off on sundays, we've got 2 3g's in there right now, one just got a new carb gasket.
    Finally i got my foot in the door! i wanna own my own shop some day, and really own a dyno. hope you guys are happy for me!

Breaking news! What has an H in it!

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

Re: I'm not dead....

woohoo! so now we all get discounts at Midas, right? ;-)
    congrats dude. I want my own shop too, but am going to have to wait until the phone company pays me enough to build my garage.....I won't settle for a crappy steel building. I want to be able to lift an engine out using the overhead beams if I want.....although an engine hoist on wheels is probably better anyway.
    Last edited by Whistler225; 04-29-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler225
    woohoo! so now we all get discounts at Midas, right? ;-)
    congrats dude. I want my own shop too, but am going to have to wait until the phone company pays me enough to build my garage.....I won't settle for a crappy steel building. I want to be able to lift an engine out using the overhead beams if I want.....although an engine hoist on wheels is probably better anyway.
    congrads on the new job thirdgenhatch,as far as the steel buildings,the beams in a commercial steel building are plenty strong for lifting an engine. it would cost a fortune to build a clearspan building for a shop out of wood,think airplane hanger with garage doors. we have an airplane hanging off one of the beams at my job right now,those steel skeletons that hold up those buildings are massive.

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

yeah, but talking my girlfriend into letting me put one up behind the house is MI4! lol.....although I never thought a regular steel building like what you get at Home Depot would be strong enough....

Vehicle

yeah, but talking my girlfriend into letting me put one up behind the house is MI4! lol.....although I never thought a regular steel building like what you get at Home Depot would be strong enough....
    now something like that won't support it,but you could use an inner steel framework,or to make it much eaisier,use an engine hoist,then you can put it where you want it.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

i've seen one of those riding lawnmowers at home depot that were hung off the sealing with some metal wiring, and there was 3 of them in a row. butidk if they had an engine.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

huh....well yeah I think I said an engine hoist would be better.....I think when we do build the garage I'll have to get one. Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread dude....I have a friend who works at Midas....he seems to like it alot. Let us know how it goes!

Vehicle
    87 busted ass hatch

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgenhatchDX
    I got a new job at midas! 10 hr days thru the week 9 on sat. off on sundays, we've got 2 3g's in there right now, one just got a new carb gasket.
    Finally i got my foot in the door! i wanna own my own shop some day, and really own a dyno. hope you guys are happy for me!
    facking outstanding! glad to hear you are a productive member of society again! j/k man...good to hear.

i've been toying with the idea of my own shop for a while also...but time will tell i guess.

anyone in the military where they have the "car craft shops"? where you rent a bay and tools n stuff to work on it yourself??? i would like to do that...thats bank right there...just the insurance waivers and stuff that i cant figure out.
    - Justin

Vehicle
    2007 Honda Civic Si RR FG2

Quote Originally Posted by Nospeed
    anyone in the military where they have the "car craft shops"? where you rent a bay and tools n stuff to work on it yourself??? i would like to do that...thats bank right there...just the insurance waivers and stuff that i cant figure out.
    Not a bad idea, I can't own a car over here, but I know once I'm back stateside I'd use something like that every chance I get, unless you know somebody living off post, you're fucked if you want to work on your own car.
    Military style fears God not a stranger.

Vehicle
    1991 Civic STD

Good job, and good luck!

Of course I'm lazy. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have gotten a DSM
    Daily Drivers Done Right

Vehicle

Yeah its going good, i'm learning new stuff, i'm just changing oil, stocking parts, and cleaning shop, its a good job, and i don't need many tools that i don't already have. It's dirty, but fun too.

facking outstanding! glad to hear you are a productive member of society again! j/k man...good to hear
    well, I used to be a telemarketer, but...who wants to do that?

anybody have any thoughts about what tool company is the best?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Coupe LXi

I like Snap On - specialized tools to make the job you're doing easier with a good waranty.
    89 Accord LXi Coupe, Tenzo Type II Titanium Exhaust, KYB GR-2 Struts, 2 JL 10's, New Polor White Paint Job, Accel Super Stock Coil, Boss 318 Black Chrome 17x8 Rims, 215-40-17 Ziex

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer

I use craftsman, but I don't really have anything to compare them to, that's all I've ever used.

Vehicle
    1991 Civic STD

Quote Originally Posted by HostileJava
    I use craftsman, but I don't really have anything to compare them to, that's all I've ever used.
    What with that warranty, there's really no need to compare it to anything else, is there?

Of course I'm lazy. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have gotten a DSM
    Daily Drivers Done Right

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by speedpenguin
    What with that warranty, there's really no need to compare it to anything else, is there?
    Exactly!

Vehicle

mmmmmmmmmk

I've got some bad news, I pulled the hatch in today to rotate my tires, i check the charging system, its all good ! good news,........

The bad news is > I need a new driver's side axle, Passenger side hub and bearing, both upper control arms, and both tie rod ends. it's gonna be $$$$

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgenhatchDX
    mmmmmmmmmk
    I've got some bad news, I pulled the hatch in today to rotate my tires, i check the charging system, its all good ! good news,........
    The bad news is > I need a new driver's side axle, Passenger side hub and bearing, both upper control arms, and both tie rod ends. it's gonna be $$$$
    not if you have a hook up. i get a discount on Napa auto parts but i dont really like the parts since they suck...but hey i get Net price...my axels were like 98 bucks for the 2 of them.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

yeah with the discount its still gonna be a bitch. i dunno what discount we get but it seems to be 50% off

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid
    i've seen one of those riding lawnmowers at home depot that were hung off the sealing with some metal wiring, and there was 3 of them in a row. butidk if they had an engine.
    those beams at home depot are massive though,they could probably hang three mack trucks and trailers up there if they wanted too. I work in an aircraft hanger every day and you don't realize how big those beams are until you see them up close. I have one of the cross beams run through my department.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Well, if you like working on cars, having a job in that particular domain isn't like you have a regular job. You wake up in the mornin doing what you like the most. This is really nice.

I got to find a job in a brewery... next to a garage hehe.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

personally i use craftsman tools, and 90% of what I own is craftsman. i wouldnt recomend them to someone who will be using them a lot. honestly i would go with snap on, proto or cornwell. its weird that something as simple as a screwdriver or combo wrench could work so much better when its a snap on. my stepdad has all proto/snapon/cornwell etc tools and they are a dream to work with. if i had to wrench all day i would get sick of craftsman in about 1 day.

also i dont think the current craftsman line of tools has more than a 1 yr warranty. at least not the stuff i have bought in the last couple years.

(however, starting out, that might be the best bet, spend $500 - $1000 on craftsman just so you have everything you need, and then upgrade to the nice stuff when budget allows)

oh and congrats on the job!

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Craftsman as a brand has really sunk in the past generation. The steel in Snap-On is a higher quality, so they can use, for instance, thinner walls on their sockets. But the price you pay for Snap-On is huge. So I would agree with the previous message...if you're starting out, buy Craftsman, and then upgrade as you need it. And try not to get into hock to the Snap-On guy...it's almost worse than buying on a credit card.

To me, the defining moment with Craftsman occured a few years ago when I went in to get another 3/8 drive ratchet. Now I know you're not supposed to do this....use your ratchet as a hammer....but hey, shit needs to happen sometimes, and my old ratchet (which I lost, it didn't break) had a few battle scars on it. The new ratchets, all of them, have PLASTIC little levers that change the ratchet direction. PLASTIC fer crissake! After that I kind of abandoned Sears for hand tools.
    Last edited by w261w261; 05-17-2006 at 03:49 PM.