Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to do Internals, but Not pulling engine

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer

Re: Want to do Internals, but Not pulling engine

If you can, run an A/F gauge. You should run plugs that are 1 degree colder then what you are running now. Listen for detonation. Run with the smallest shot for a while and just make sure everything seems ok. Obvious indicators of somthing not being right are white or blue smoke coming out when you run the nitrous or shortly after and loss of power after using it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LXi

You can't get the rear crank seal out past the fifth main. (Technically, you can't get the new one back in without cutting it in half first.) You will need to pull the trans off the block and remove the flywheel to get to that leaky guy.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Obvious indicators of somthing not being right are white or blue smoke coming out when you run the nitrous or shortly after and loss of power after using it.
    lol....i dare say that he'll feel a loss of power after using nos whether or not something is wrong.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX (rip), 1993 Civic Si (rip), 2000 Contour (burn in hell), 1992 Integra LS, 1992 Civic CX (Project)

i to would like to do a performance rebuild, i'll have about a grand with in the next couple of weeks to play with so what all would I want to get to do this performance rebuild? i am also now considering converting to efi if i can find the parts to do it. right now my car has like 126xxx miles and i think is burning a little bit of oil. my future plans are that i would like to run a turbo and what ever i can stick into my engine right now to make it perform better then would be great. also it would be nice if with these upgrades my car performed a little better now... i have an engine lift and stand in my barn and my dad said we could rebuild it. right now all i really had planned was a headkit which includes (guides, springs, retainers, valves) and A4 Pistons .5 overbore.
    Last edited by sinisterfuzzy; 06-11-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

a wise choice would be getting everything balanced.
    also some headwork would be smart, depending on the hp u are going for, and whether or not you end up turbo (u will need a shitload more headwork and mods to make X hp without turbo, as opposed to if your car WERE turbod).
    i delta 272 cam is probably a good choice, and pick up a header and either your EFI swap parts, or a webber kit and your probably easily at 1000 dollars by then.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by sinisterfuzzy
    i to would like to do a performance rebuild, i'll have about a grand with in the next couple of weeks to play with so what all would I want to get to do this performance rebuild? i am also now considering converting to efi if i can find the parts to do it. right now my car has like 126xxx miles and i think is burning a little bit of oil. my future plans are that i would like to run a turbo and what ever i can stick into my engine right now to make it perform better then would be great. also it would be nice if with these upgrades my car performed a little better now... i have an engine lift and stand in my barn and my dad said we could rebuild it. right now all i really had planned was a headkit which includes (guides, springs, retainers, valves) and A4 Pistons .5 overbore.
    this is the guy you want to be talking to.http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/ he says he should be puting down 160 hp after the build..

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX (rip), 1993 Civic Si (rip), 2000 Contour (burn in hell), 1992 Integra LS, 1992 Civic CX (Project)

thanks for that link i've been looking for that one! and i don't really think i'll be running turbo in this car. so whatever i can get would probly be good. and i think i might ship my head to KMS to have it worked on i'm going to get their Stage 2
    Products Included in the Stage 2
    Cylinder Head

Services Included in the Stage 2
    Mild Port Job
    Glass Bead
    Fly Cut Head
    Valve Job
    3-Angle Valve Job

then i'll get their Headkit that has the Valves, Guides, Pistons, Retainers. Then i think i'll get a Oil Pump Remanufacture. I think i'll go with Bobafett and get a Triflow 272
    Last edited by sinisterfuzzy; 06-12-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

lol its been in my sig for a while...

i have to fix a leaky head gasket, but hopefully i will eventually finish breaking it in so i can dyno the damn thing.

im definitely not the guy you want to be talking to though... rjudgey is probably the man to speak to about building a20 motors.

i did do a lot of research and put a lot of time/money into the project though... and of course i am eager to see the results.

Vehicle

what else goes into an engine rebuild like if you were to just do a normal engine rebuild?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda88dx
    when my car broke down the tow truck driver told me to get a fuel injected 5 speed
    The tow truck driver, huh? well, you better listen to him! Everyone knows tow truck drivers are the epitome of an automotive education..

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by JFreddy
    What I want to know;
    While the car is parked I figure I myswell do some internal engine modification.
    Question: Without pulling the motor (becuase I don't want the car to eb out of service for that long) What kind of pistons or rods or internal engine modifications can I do?
    Is my answer just buy a rebuild kit and do that? if so, how much would a rebuild kit add if my motor runs fine the way it is right now?
    Top end;
    Just a regular port n polish, how much canadian would new valves be? where do I get them?
    Dad n I would be doing the port n polish.
    Possibly new mainfold (B16 manifold)
    What are your opinions, I am really looking for ideas here. Thanks again.
    I hardly think doing internal motor work with the motor in the car saves time, beacuse it slows everything down drastically, and you could have the motor out in a couple hours. Have you ever tried to plastigage bearings with the motor in the car? F that.. As far as the rebuild, what are your current compression/leakdown readings? The only time I would replace pistons in the car is if I broke a piston and just wanted to get the thing back together and running asap..

You can do a lot of things to increase the power of your motor without removing the botom half of it from the car if your compression readings are still good.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord ex-i

Ok, if my compression is really well? close to perfect what would you suggest to do then?
    It's not what you drive, It's that you drive what you got! I LOVE MY 3Gee!

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Ok, if my compression is really well? close to perfect what would you suggest to do then?
    If your compression is anywhere around 170 p.s.i., then you don't need to do nothing to your internals or top end. Period ..........

If your compression varied more than 20% from any cylinder, then you have problems. Other than that, the lowest compression on this engine is somewhere around 145 or so. Personally, I wasn't happy with 150 & rebuilt. But that's me & my wrench turning ass.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 07-06-2006 at 10:06 PM.