Thread: Help tuning Keihin CVK bike carbs

LXi User

Help tuning Keihin CVK bike carbs

Hey guys, well. I have another question for the genius' that is 3geez. I guess technically it's not a question more like a plea for help. I've got a little higher perfomance head and soon to be camshaft. I was talking to rich and he was explaining that the best buy for me in regards to a carb would either be DCOE's or bike carbs. Well, DCOE's I found were much to expensive and with the latest craze of ITB's I found the bike carbs to be really reasonable. So I bought some off of eGay. The item description read as follows
    Complete carburetor set off of a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja ZX 600D (ZX-6D) with factory velocity stacks. Never been jetted or modified in any way, so there's no unpleasant surprises. Carbs were drained before being stored three years ago. Needles are unbent, rubber diaphragms have no tears or patches. See pics for condition. Float bowl screws and drains are not frozen or stripped. Floats uncracked and functional. However, brutal honesty means that I'm not selling these as a "bolt-on-and-go" set. There is residue in the float bowls and a little rust that needs to be cleaned. recommend pulling the jets out for a thorough cleaning, as well as the slides-I only gave them a cursory cleaning during inspection. Surprisingly little varnish considering this rack is 14 years old. Check out the pictures for condition and details. With a proper cleaning and typical adjustment, you'll keep your Ninja 600 running like new. Also an excellent starting point to experiment with jetting changes on a spare carb rack so your ride isn't sidelined if your jet choices are too far out to work.
    I'm not so worried about making a manifold for it to fit or any of that. I'm more worried b/c I have no idea/knowledge/experience tuning these carbs much less any carbs. So I'm asking anyone with knowledge or hotlinks to hand 'em here I would assume that if I was able to get a basic setting for one cylinder then all the other cylinders would be rather close to that setting/tune. I've read a couple guides on basic bike carb tuning but, they're really above my head. Which I would assume that this is identical to that[bike tuning] except I'm tunning 4 instead of just 1 or 2. Also, many of them base their tuning on reading plugs and listening to the engine. I unfortunately don't have an ear or eye for this b/c of the previous stated lack of experience so I didn't know if the best thing for me to do is just get a wideband O2 sensor and tune it via that way just like if I was tuning an ecu. So basically to recap that jumbled mess of sentences I'm just asking for help tuning these bike carbs to suit the accord.
    [I only have one request of the following posters *not to sound haughty* but, please don't tell me to go efi *I can't for a number of reasons* Don't tell me to turbo instead of N/A b/c its cheaper *once again I can't for a number of reasons* just try and help me with this particular problem. It would be much abliged]
    Thanks in advance everybody!
    -Allen
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

SEi User

Re: Help tuning Keihin CVK bike carbs

Go to a bike tuning shop and yes a wideband o2 with gauge read out will help a great deal and make sure you've allways got the right mixture, i just hope the carbs aren't too old and too small i did recommend something a bit newer and something a lot bigger but if all you want is something thats more reliable and will give a modest boost in power they should work. After all a Lude engine had two similar size carbs instead of 4 so should be better. Alternative is to get a set of larger Mikunis which use Weber jets and re sell the Ninja ones on Ebay again.

LXi User

Well, that's what I was assuming *about having a bike shop tune the carbs* seeing as though that shouldn't be any different then tuning the carb if it was on a bike. And I wouldn't have to get the wideband immediately correct? Since that would be more like a safety precaution to make sure that after their*bike shops* tuning that everything was in order in the future. The sizing of these are 40mm. Is that still quite small? If so do you have a particular suggestion of which Mikunis to get or what bike the Mikunis could have originally came from. The plans for me is to work all summer and have saved up enough money to build a 1off header, install the head, build 1off manifold for the carbs, get my cam reground to a 282 grind, and buy 1off 11:1 pistons. Now knowing my plans would these carbs be choking the motor at the top-end and a bigger carb would be needed? Thanks for the help.
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted

I think those carbs will have sufficient flow for it to atleast work properly... But atleast then youll know... once its all working you can see if there were any gains in it, and if you have a wideband youll also see it lean out under WOT indicating they may be too small.

LXi User

Quote Originally Posted by cke
    Personally, I wouldn't go for anything under 42mm on a 2.0
    You might be able to get away with it on an engine of smaller displacement. I know all-motor D16/15 setups can utilize 36mm & 38mm perfectly.
    Alright well, thanks for the req. of sizing. I'm not to versed in the bike world so I'm not sure what bikes come w/ 42+ size carbs stock...if any do. I'm sure google would spit out some results. I guess I'll try there first and then see if anything on eGay comes up. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Edit: I just thought of this. If I purchased 4 identical carbs *from bikes of course* would that work? Let me clarify; what I bought were 4 carbs that were already mounted in a line *seems as though they should be for a car, not sure of what bike could utilize this setup* anyways, if I bought 4 44mm like harley carbs would there be a way to mount them together or do they need to come from the "factory" like that a.k.a mounted together. I'm not sure if this matters or not but, just thought I'd ask before I proceded. Thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by w00tw00t111; 06-09-2006 at 10:09 PM.
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money