Thread: Please Help With 88 Honda Accord Lx Carb

DX User

Please Help With 88 Honda Accord Lx Carb

i have an 88 honda accord lx 2.0 that needed a new carb, so i went down to the local autozone and ordered one. Well, im a 22 year old college students who doesnt know a whole lot about cars, but i wanna fix this myself because i dont have much money. i was wondering if anyone could send me a diagram of how the carburetor should look once it's on and any advice for working with carburetors? also, there was a part on my carburetor (i think some sort of fuel valve), its a plastic wire plug of some sort that comes on the carb and connects to something outside the carburetor, maybe a hot wire of some sort. well i found the other plastic piece that it plugs/connects with, but the wire on the plastic plug outside the carb has been cut and isnt connected to anything...and im not really sure where that wire originally came from. i was curious if anyone knows what wire is supposed to connect to the plastic plug that has to be connected to the carburetor? thanks, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Jared

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Re: Please Help With 88 Honda Accord Lx Carb

Quote Originally Posted by jarlynch
    i have an 88 honda accord lx 2.0 that needed a new carb, so i went down to the local autozone and ordered one. Well, im a 22 year old college students who doesnt know a whole lot about cars, but i wanna fix this myself because i dont have much money. i was wondering if anyone could send me a diagram of how the carburetor should look once it's on and any advice for working with carburetors? also, there was a part on my carburetor (i think some sort of fuel valve), its a plastic wire plug of some sort that comes on the carb and connects to something outside the carburetor, maybe a hot wire of some sort. well i found the other plastic piece that it plugs/connects with, but the wire on the plastic plug outside the carb has been cut and isnt connected to anything...and im not really sure where that wire originally came from. i was curious if anyone knows what wire is supposed to connect to the plastic plug that has to be connected to the carburetor? thanks, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    -Jared

refer to the howto, maybe even try searching.
    heres a good start
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5350

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

first of all and thank you for joining...this topic has been covered over and over you will find your answers if you click this link

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5350
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46572
    i would not turst thoes autozone carbs unless they give you lifetime warranty...some ppl says that they are just cleaned carbs...with a kit...

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

i win

Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    i win
    lol.....

the "plastic plug thing" kinda sounds like your electric choke wiring. It would be impossible to tell for sure though without a more detailed description or a picture. If you have a digital camera, you can take a picture of what you're talking about and put it up here using photobucket or another image hosting site (see the how-to section about putting up pics).

Also, you say you ordered up a carb, but you didn't mention what type of carb you bought. Did you buy a replacement Keihin? A weber? It would be difficult to give advice on replacing your carbuerator without this information. If you bought a replacement Keihin, it should bolt straight on, choke to the left as you look toward the back of the car. Then I would advise getting a copy of the shop manual (it's on this site) and hooking up new vacuum lines according to the vacuum diagram. Unless you really know what you're doing, you really need to do this, or the car will not run properly. This isn't a car you can just plug all the vacuum lines on. There are also how-to's on the site for doing vacuum removal if you want to try it.

Does the carb need to be replaced because there isn't currently one on the car, or because the one that's on it is bad? If there is a carb on it now, you should be able to install the new one just like the old one was.

Also, don't be surprised if this doesn't solve all of your problems. These cars are well engineered, but as a result of Honda trying to make the carb behave like fuel injection, there are alot of extra goodies on the engine for emissions control that have a huge effect on the way the car runs, and most of these things are vacuum controlled. Any vacuum leak will effect the way the car runs, so make sure you check ALL of the vacuum lines, including the metal ones, and the intake manifold gasket since quite a bit of vacuum is present in the intake manifold. There are other places to check for vacuum leaks as well, but if you read through the links above, you should learn where they are, and the carb shouldn't be an issue as long as you are replacing the mounting gasket along with the carb. One easy way to check for vacuum leaks is to take a can of carb cleaner and spray it around your vacuum lines with the car idling. If the engine idle changes, you've found your leak.

Good luck....I've had my car a few months and am still trying to track down all the little issues. They are a blast to drive, but you need to make sure you find out about all the little things that go wrong with them (just like any other car) and take care of those things if you want to enjoy owning it.

Let us know how it goes....

Oh and welcome to the board, lol.....