Thread: Need help w/ coolant temp. sensor

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

Need help w/ coolant temp. sensor

I've been driving around with my coolant temp sensor (TW sensor) disconnected/broken off. Funny thing is the ECU wasn't giving me a code, no engine light ... so I've been ignoring it.
    I wonder if that's why I'm only getting 23mpg??? No TW sensor = longer duration on the injectors?? Of course me having a lead foot has nothing to do with it. : )
    Can someone w/ an LX-i please tell me (or better yet take some pics and show me) how/where the wiring goes from the TW sensor to the ECU? The sensor is on the thermostat housing. So how is this sucker connected, routed to the ECU? I think there's a connector dangling under the engine but I want to make sure ....
    Also, I took the sensor to NAPA and they looked at their part and said the threads on the new part were a lot smaller than my part. I looked up the part on some Internet parts site and it looks like the part I have is for a carbed car. ??? Weird, since I have an LX-i and I believe the thermostat housing and sensor are both original. Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks.
    [img][/img]

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

Re: Need help w/ coolant temp. sensor

C'mon guys. Nobody has an LX-i and can look at their thermostat and tell me where/how this sensor is connected? : (

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5

That sensor should have 1 little connector sticking out. It's just a 1 wire sensor. Looks like it broke off. I would definitely try to find a new one. Even if it's only for the dash like cke said, you'll never know if you're overheating.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

My temp gauge is working. This is not the temp gauge SENDER. This is the PGMI water temp (TW) SENSOR that controls the duration of fuel injection via the ECU. I need to see where/how the wiring is connected to the circled sensor.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    Last edited by Blkblurr; 06-10-2006 at 07:01 AM.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

as paso mentioned, its a sender for the ECU. I have had cel come on for that light and my idle and my milage sucked. That sensor is the same as the one found on the carb manifold on the bottom (behind). i got a spare if u like.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

Praveen, thx for the offer, but I don't mind getting a new part. The intake manifold sensor has a different sensitivity from what I've read.
    Bikblurr, thx for the pics. I can't tell from the angle if you have the same thermostat as I do. Is there a TW sensor on the thermostat, right below #1 in the pic, next to the thermostat relief valve #3? If not, I'm thoroughly confused and will have to do more research.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

paso, they are the same part numbers....

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    paso, they are the same part numbers....
    Hmm, I got different part numbers for TA (air temp sensor) and TW (water temp sensor) from a parts site. Where are you getting your parts? I tried looking up these sensors and didn't see any from Majestic or South Bay Honda.
    http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the...Sensor&dp=true
    http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the...Sensor&dp=true
    What I REALLY need to see is the wiring that's attached to the TW sensor mounted on the thermostat. I don't have any loose wiring that I see around my broken sensor so I can't tell how the sensor is connected — the wiring route it takes back to the ECU.

LX User
    Vehicle
    10 sec 87 honda accord Lx-i

I migth have one of those in my shop if you need one.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

Temperature sensor that goes back to ECU has yellow connector. the green connector is for thermo switch.
    The one everyone points to( the one on the side with one wire) is gauge sensor.

you can get all the sensors at Advance Auto parts.
    Alex.

I replaced my TW sensor a few months ago. You have to look in the assembly drop down menu on Majestic's site (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) under "Alternator Bracket." It shows all three sensors.

Weird place, but it's there. I had to call to find out.

The one in your first pic is the one that goes to the gauge, though. The green one is the TW sensor for the ECU and the black one is the temp switch that makes the condensor fan come on after the car is turned off.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

[img][/img]
    OK, thanks for the heads up. My bad on mislabeling my broken part. I see the correct diagram for #7, 8, 9, which I don't need. I still don't see my part (which is broken) in the diagram. Is this just a plug that I don't need to worry about? Like I said, my temp. gauge is working and my ECU is not throwing a code. Makes me want to just ignore it. What the heck is this and does it connect to anything???
    In the parts diagram below, you can see the opening where this fitting goes, but there is no accompanying part # ???? This is from the water pump parts page, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by paso100
    Is this just a plug that I don't need to worry about? Like I said, my temp. gauge is working and my ECU is not throwing a code. Makes me want to just ignore it. What the heck is this and does it connect to anything???
    In the parts diagram below, you can see the opening where this fitting goes, but there is no accompanying part # ???? This is from the water pump parts page, BTW.
    My car doesn't have one of those things. There is an indentation there, but it's either not fully drilled thru or has a plug in it. I'd just put some sealant on the threads, put it back in , then forget it's even there.
    Steve

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

Yeah, it doesn't seem to DO anything, as far as I can tell. I emailed South Bay Honda w/ pics and asked them to ID it for me. Anybody else have this fitting on their thermostat and is it connected to anything? I wonder if Honda changed thermostats on some years and just threw a fitting on there to save money????

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

Click to enlarge (Left is carb and right is EFI thermostat housings)

the USDM thermostats (NON CA versions) do not have that sensor. even the shop manual does not seem to list that variation. best bet is to check the sensor code or just take it to the dealer and find out wtf it does.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

Thx for those pics. I think I've found my car's appendix, lol. Perhaps I'll go to the dealer for an appendectomy.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

My car (86 LX-i) has a ported vacuum valve in that spot. Two small hoses are connected to it. It opens or closes venting fuel vapors according to engine temperature. ON the outside, mine looks similar to this one

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=44470

89 fuel injected Accords have a different system for venting those vapors; check Dr Snooz's manual (89 model) for more specifics. Perhaps someone changed that thermostat housing and just got it from an earlier model. If there is a function for that valve there should be a couple of hoses (or plugged lines) nearby.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!