Thread: What Do I have to Remove to Remove EGR?

DX User

What Do I have to Remove to Remove EGR?

Hi,

I'd like to remove the EGR valve to clean the carbon deposits out, along with the EGR tubing. I have an '86 Lxi Accord - fuel injected. I loosened the vaccum pipes and was able to access the two bolts with a socket wrench, but I can't get the socket on straight since the socket interfers with the top of the EGR valve.

I tried putting a closed end wrench on the bolts, but it will not fit since the side of the wrench hits the side of the valve. It seems like to get a clear shot at them you need to remove the valve cover, fuel pipes and a whole bunch of other stuff. What have you done - it seems like a real pain.

Thanks,

David

Re: What Do I have to Remove to Remove EGR?

I used a u-joint socket adapter on mine. Still a pain, but I was able to replace it.

DX User

Thanks for the reply - maybe I need to get a new u-joint - my u-joint is a proto - it's sort of hefty, so it interfers with the EGR body. I'll try again. Are you using 3/8 sockets?

David

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster
    I used a u-joint socket adapter on mine. Still a pain, but I was able to replace it.

I might have used a 1/4 as well. It was last year. I removed the EGR twice - once to clean it, and then again to replace it which solved my particular issue.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster
    I might have used a 1/4 as well. It was last year. I removed the EGR twice - once to clean it, and then again to replace it which solved my particular issue.
    Thanks Mike for the advice.

I was able to get the EGR valve off by using liberal amounts of PB Blaster + a 1/4 u-joint. When I was putting it back, I lost one nut somewhere down in the bowels of my engine - need another - but my dealer doesn't have. A hardware store nut requires a 13 mm socket, which is a little large (the honda nut requires a 12 mm nut).

David

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by kw_da
    Thanks Mike for the advice.
    I was able to get the EGR valve off by using liberal amounts of PB Blaster + a 1/4 u-joint. When I was putting it back, I lost one nut somewhere down in the bowels of my engine - need another - but my dealer doesn't have. A hardware store nut requires a 13 mm socket, which is a little large (the honda nut requires a 12 mm nut).
    David

Every,well maybe most, Honda bolt the head is one "flat" smaller then a regular store bought bolt. I dunno why and I dont know where you can find a bolt with the smaller head. Might just have to pick one at a junkyard. If you find a source let us know. Im sure there is a need.

wp

unless it is leaking there is no need to take your EGR off. you will only see a slight rise in NOX emmission if it is completely clogged you won''t see any performance gains by removing/cleaning it if that's what you are after.
    if you really want to clean it i dunno start removing things but try to avoid removing parts with gaskets or the damn threaded pipes (egr and air inj. on my carbie)
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I agree with POS, your going to do a lot of work and its pretty much pointless and the egr tube is like impossible to get off without destroying.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by POS carb
    unless it is leaking there is no need to take your EGR off. you will only see a slight rise in NOX emmission if it is completely clogged you won''t see any performance gains by removing/cleaning it if that's what you are after.
    if you really want to clean it i dunno start removing things but try to avoid removing parts with gaskets or the damn threaded pipes (egr and air inj. on my carbie)
    Well ... I was able to get the EGR off & cleaned out a lot of carbon. Also sprayed a lot of cleaner down the EGR pipe. My car (fuel injected) was getting very close to the limit during my smog for Nitrous Oxides. I understand that the EGR takes care of the excess NO. Will find out in a year or so.

I also was trying to get rid of this intermittent hesitation/surge problem that occurs when the car is somewhat cold . The problem is that I give the car gas underload, it doesn't accelerate, or starts surging. If I rev the engine up (push the clutch in), it appears to go away. It appears infrequently, so I'm not sure if its gone.

Regards,

David