Thread: $400 later....

Vehicle
    1991 Subaru XT6 AWD, 1988 Subaru XT6 AWD

$400 later....

On the way home from school...

The Hondamino was stalling out when I let off the gas, started it back up a few times without a problem. It dies for about the fifth time at an intersection; try to start it up and the motor's locked up.

Shit... I need to be at work in two hours and something major is wrong with my car. I push her into a parking lot and pop the valve cover off expecting to see a broken timing belt even though I looked at it this spring and it looks great. Timing belt is fine. At this point I smell gas so I pop the air cleaner off and look down the carb. Gas fumes are really intense and I think, "that's odd." I get back in the car and try to turn it over... it spins way too easy for a few seconds and then locks up on me again. Wierd. I left the ignition on and went back around front.

Gas is pouring down out of the carb due to a stuck needle valve. Pouring to the point that it is filling up the cylinders and not allowing the starter to turn over the motor. I call a tow truck and leave it to the next day to mess with.

I ordered a Holley reman carb to fix my carb situation once and for all (never trust someone else's rebuild is the lesson I just learned the hard way). I drained the crankcae of 3.5 gallons (yes, gallons) of gas mixed with old oil and filled her up with new oil. Ran her until she warmed up, then drained it out, put on a new filter and poured in more new oil. Adjusted out the carb and she's running like new again.

I guess now I have the cleanest engine on the board. I am praying that the gas didn't mess up any seals since I had absolutely no leakage/burnage problems before this, but at least the Hondamino is back on the road. Updates to see how this effects oil consumption, gas mileage, power band, etc. when I get the time.

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh

Re: $400 later....

i love the hondamino!!!
    take some pics. ive always wondered what your trunk set up was like

-Travis-

well, I guess your not trying to keep it stock as the body work pursues but for 4000 bucks a weber swap would have been in order for me. Id recommend it also. After doing the swap the stock carb is just junk and makes the engine bay look that way also. glad it worked out. Im trying to convince the wifey into the hondamino since its for sale so cheap. problme is your llike 2500 miles away and by the time i ship or drive with gas and time off work id be alot more dough. Good luck anyway

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I'd worry about motor bearing more than anything. Might wanna change the oil one more time in a few days.

Thats how domestics burn up the fuel pump seal goes bad dumps fuel into the oil pan and before you no it your motors toast.

wp

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

glad to hear it's back up and running again. i actually think that honda should buy the hondamino as a collector's item and put it in a museum or something. call it the inspiration for the ridgeline.