Thread: #^%$$#@ carb?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

#^%$$#@ carb?

the car was fine in cold or hot but when it warms up it keeps stalling. now its even worse, its very very very weak, doesnt idle, have to hold foot on accelerater and it strugled just to get up a 2 inch lump into the garage any settings i can change to fix this? or just another carb? im really lost, cant figure out why it runs like shit. the whole engine shakes so much and the exhaust back pressure is pretty bad and sounds very putty. it doesnt have a cat converter though, will that be why the exhaust back pressure is bad? the car runs so bad now that we cant take it 2 the testing station for a WOF

oh yeah, i been running the car on the last few drops thats was in the tank. i still dont think thats why it kept stalling when it was warming up though.

pleeeeeeaaasse heeeeeeeeeeelp i tried to explain the best i could

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord Lx

Re: #^%$$#@ carb?

This could be alot of probelms. I'd check all the fuel lines to make sure none are cracked, loose, cut, or sinse our cars are getting old maybe dry rot. Check the fuel filters to see if there clogged. There is one by the gas tank and one under the hood by the master cylinder. Another probelm could be the carburator could need a rebuild or you could of blow a head gasket. Oh yeah, check your fuel pump and make sure its working properly.
    Now if vegetable oil is made out of vegetables and olive oil is made out of olives.... whats baby oil made out of?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

im pretty sure the fuel lines and all are good coz the other day it was running rather fine excluding the poorwarmming up.

i dont think its the head gasket as i just replaced that a couple weeks ago o.O i want my car 2 idle at about 400rpm without it stalling out how can i make it so that its just the throttle cable that controls it all? none of those choke thingies? i supose that would be a vacuum removal?
    Last edited by A18A; 06-17-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord Lx

You don't want it to idle at 400 rpm's. I'm not even sure if it will idle that low. The perfect idle range for our cars if between 750 and 850 rpm's. Another thing is to check if your choke is sticking open after it warms up. That might cause it to run like crap. Other then that man, I have no clue. If you have a haine's manual, check out trouble shooting in there.
    Now if vegetable oil is made out of vegetables and olive oil is made out of olives.... whats baby oil made out of?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord LX Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Overdosed A18A
    the car was fine in cold or hot but when it warms up it keeps stalling. now its even worse, its very very very weak, doesnt idle, have to hold foot on accelerater and it strugled just to get up a 2 inch lump into the garage any settings i can change to fix this? or just another carb? im really lost, cant figure out why it runs like shit. the whole engine shakes so much and the exhaust back pressure is pretty bad and sounds very putty. it doesnt have a cat converter though, will that be why the exhaust back pressure is bad? the car runs so bad now that we cant take it 2 the testing station for a WOF
    oh yeah, i been running the car on the last few drops thats was in the tank. i still dont think thats why it kept stalling when it was warming up though.
    pleeeeeeaaasse heeeeeeeeeeelp i tried to explain the best i could
    I had problems with my 87 Accord idling and starting. Took a guess and replaced the fuel pump-the screen/pouch that covers the pump input was full of a dark, claylike substance. The fact you're running on fumes may mean you need to clean your gas tank and/or replace the pump. (or not) Good luck!