Thread: What to replace?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1997 BMW 528i, 1988 Honda Accord LX-i

What to replace?

Hey Everybody,
    I had my Accord project on hold for a while, but just now getting into it again. This car has 194,xxx miles on it and im sure the suspension is getting a little bit loose lol. I do not want to lower the car, but I want to to have a stiffer ride and reduce the roll in corners. Which components should I replace to achieve these results? Also, when the car is parked and I move the steering wheel back and forth it makes a clicking sound, is there anywhere I can apply grease to the steering linkage to stop this? where are all the grease fittings in the 3g btw? thanks for any help!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi

Re: What to replace?

Im not real good with suspension but did you check your tierod ends? maybe there popping out or something..... do you feel the click in the steering wheel when you turn it or do you just hear it on the outside?? i might be totally wrong sorry if i am im just trying to help

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Standard front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car until the one tire is off the ground. The other tire must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints and upper links. There should be no play in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

wp

DX User
    Vehicle
    1997 BMW 528i, 1988 Honda Accord LX-i

Great, thanks! I'll check all of this stuff... im sure that at least some of it will be due for replacement. The car, after all, does have almost 200k... but gotta get the new engine and tranny in first lol...