Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Adventures With Seafoam

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: My Adventures With Seafoam

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    yeah you just unplug the hose FROM the brake booster. leave it plugged into the intake mani and let it suck it up. i liked how the engine sounds like its drinking it lol
    got to try it on my dx

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

the car does respond a lot better...but yeah i would recommend to just get ready to do a tune up....change all the filters right after. on the bottle it says to do it 500 mi before an oil change so the engine carries it and puts it through its system...then change the oil and shit. it also says that it might plug up old o2 sensors and cats...which it did to me

2ndGenGuy

My friend just put some of this stuff in his car. About 30 minutes after draining it and putting fresh oil back in, his engine ate a bearing. I think the thing is that this stuff is so thin, it cleans all the oil out of your bearings and it probably takes a little time to get the oil back in there. Also, think about if it cleans gunk and crap out of your engine, where does it wind up going? It gets circulated with your oil and gets into everything.

I think its probably going to work fine for say 9 out of 10 people. But I'd sure hate to be the 10th guy like my buddy. Of course, if you just run it though your gas, and intake manifold, it will probably not hurt anything. I would just avoid the crankcase.

Vehicle

lol dude, when i ran it through my car i had a 5 inch high pile of carbon right under the tail pipe. then when drained my oil it was also kinda gunky.....

i guess i must have been the 9.5 guy cuz it didnt fuck a lot of shit up but it did work. and most of the people that have used it swear by it...so i just HAD to try it. lol

i guess it might just depend on how well taken care of your engine is...

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    lol dude, when i ran it through my car i had a 5 inch high pile of carbon right under the tail pipe. then when drained my oil it was also kinda gunky.....

i guess i must have been the 9.5 guy cuz it didnt fuck a lot of shit up but it did work. and most of the people that have used it swear by it...so i just HAD to try it. lol

i guess it might just depend on how well taken care of your engine is...
    Thats true. I would put money on the condition of the engine also making a big difference. His engine probably died because it was a Volkswagen.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

When I used it on my car....you couldn't even see the neighborhood from all the white smoke coming out of my tail pipe. The neighbors were probably thinking my car was on fire. lol

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

so what would it do if i were to put like 1/2 can in it, DON"T DRIVE and the rest in the brake booster, and another bottle put 1/2 in the gas tank, Run it for about 20-30 mins. then change the fuel filters, oil filter, new oil, think that would work or will fubar something.

Hey i just don't fell very comfy drving around hundreds of miles with gunk floating around.
    First Accord 88LX R.I.P 7-19-07 (Might be Jolted back to life at least temporarily)
    Seeking another but only with 5-speed I'm joining the Darkside
    89LX or SE-i(yeah right)

Vehicle

well just drive it for a day...just to get it through the system. at the end of the day just change everything

Vehicle
    1990 Cadillac Fleetwood

Seafoam is decent stuff, but if you want a superior blast, get a can of GM top engine cleaner. Yeah, I know, I'm in a traitorous position here, but the stuff works, and you can grab it at a GM dealer for maybe 2 bucks more than Seafoam.

It should be noted, when you do a job like this, it is possible to foul the spark plugs if you have a lot of gunk in there, and possibly gum up the cat. I don't think this applies here, but if you have an air pump to the cat, make sure it's disconnected before pouring the juice down the vacuum lines. If you just put new plugs in, I'd suggest getting some $2 crap-tastic ones from Wally World for the purpose. If there isn't a lot of buildup, it should not be a big deal though.

Also, make damn sure you don't pour too fast, or pour too much in... Too much of a liquid in the combustion chamber can cause hydrolocking...and ohhhh what a mess you'll have then.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 honda accord

so how likely is it to stop up a new cat? i just put a new cat on like 2 months ago. i was thinking bout this stuff but also everything in my engine is pretty much new, im carbed so not really worried bout the 02 sensor as of right now but i definatly dont wanna pull the cat off too much trouble.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2158264
    " you know what i really want in a girl,,, me! " bloodhound gang

Vehicle
    1990 Cadillac Fleetwood

I can just tell you I broke that rule a couple times lol...and I haven't noticed an actual problem that I could detect with the cat...and like I said, it's more important if you have an air line to the cat, when you can get some of the actual cleaner in it. After you do the cleaning, just floor it a few times down the road...that will help blow loose stuff out the exhaust as well as burn the carbon out.

The more important thing is don't hydrolock the engine, like I said. If you follow instructions, you'll probably be fine, but DO NOT pour in any more after the engine stops, or a cat will be the least of your worries....

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Working for a used car dealership, I use Seafoam on cars that haven't been maintained properly. (flushing Intrepids mainly, they tend to have oil sludge buildup)

Other than that, haven't had no complaints so far.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfin
    Seafoam is decent stuff, but if you want a superior blast, get a can of GM top engine cleaner. Yeah, I know, I'm in a traitorous position here, but the stuff works, and you can grab it at a GM dealer for maybe 2 bucks more than Seafoam.

It should be noted, when you do a job like this, it is possible to foul the spark plugs if you have a lot of gunk in there, and possibly gum up the cat. I don't think this applies here, but if you have an air pump to the cat, make sure it's disconnected before pouring the juice down the vacuum lines. If you just put new plugs in, I'd suggest getting some $2 crap-tastic ones from Wally World for the purpose. If there isn't a lot of buildup, it should not be a big deal though.

Also, make damn sure you don't pour too fast, or pour too much in... Too much of a liquid in the combustion chamber can cause hydrolocking...and ohhhh what a mess you'll have then.
    Tailfin, I couldn't have said it better. Excellent advice & info. Tested & tried.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by superdesi
    Tailfin, I couldn't have said it better. Excellent advice & info. Tested & tried.
    Yes dam right it was, and the guy saz he works at a conveinence store....

Tailfin u know way too much about cars, you ain't fooling me!!!
    Regarding the subject of the thread, I would never use any of that crap in my crankcase , ever. You have to be crazy stupid, unless your working on like somebody elses car, like ddude2uc, maybe on a clogged up car. If I buy a car that needs cleaning, I just start using Castrol GTX motor oil in it and keep changing it , after a few months the inside is clean as a whistle.
    top end cleaning is a whole other story, yes it is very recommended at any mileage. that is the one thru the intake, shoot the cleaner thru the brake booster or pvc large vacuum intake points.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 11-29-2006 at 12:15 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe

I basically followed the instructions on an LS1 site.

1. Put some in your tank. Easy.

2. Warm the engine up. Disconnect your brake booster line and put a funnel in it. Slowly pour the seafoam down the funnel, making sure not to stall the engine. Enjoy the smoke show while doing this. Once you are almost finished with the (half or third) of the can, dump the rest in and force the engine to stall. Wait 20 minutes. Start car. Lightly rev the engine. Enjoy the bigger smoke show. Do this for 20 minutes. Drive the balls off your car until smoke is gone.

I noticed instant results. I haven't put any in the crankcase because I'm waiting until I need to change the oil. I'll drive a good 20-30 miles with it in there, change the oil and all should be good.

If your engine backfires and the tach jumps like that, it might not be the seafoam.
    My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

i don'te feel like reading the last two pages...

If you haven't lost the backfiring it's probably from the shit you poured in the gas tank, you have to let the tank run almost empty then refill it to the top with gasoline

Oil cap, dipstick, same thing. the only reason I could think of is so that it is evenly distributed through the oil instead of all over your #4 cylinder valvetrain

Please stop using the magic plankton engine cleaner.

Best way to clean your engine is keep the oil changed.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 LXI 4 door

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    I don't think I'd ever put this stuff in my car. Why do you need to "clean" out your engine when they already run 300,000+ miles without any problems? I think that if this stuff really worked, then the manufacturers would be pushing people to run it in thier engines and doing it during service intervals. It sounds like it would be a cheap, easy way to improve the reliability of a car. So if that were true, why wouldn't the manufacturers suggest it?
    Then who would buy a new car?

Vehicle
    1989 accord EX-i

If the brake booster hose is attatched only to one intake runner like #1 cyl, DON'T USE THAT HOSE. The cleaner will be only sucked into one cylinder, more than likely hydrolocking the motor. My friend did this to his B18A1 in his integra and bent #1 connecting rod. He was using the AC delco cleaner rather than seafoam but they are practically the same. A free combustion cleaning method is to find a small vacuum hose and dip it periodicaly in a cup of cold water while holding an engine speed of about 2k rpm. The water will turn to steam and will steam clean the carbon build up in your combustion chamber. This method does work. Have you ever removed a cylinder head from an engine that had a bad head gasket causing a coolant leak into one or more cylinders? The affected cylinders are usually spotless. Just make sure you don't hold the vacuum hose in the cup to long. You only need enough water entering the engine to make steam.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

I used it on my 1986 LX with 206,000 and it worked well.

a bunch of carbon fell out of the exhaust.

but the car smoked for an hour and it did kill the almost dead cat.

so dont use it with a new exhaust!
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

No problems using it either and I did twice to my old engine when it was at 180,000 miles or so and again at about 210,000 and it ran good til the day I pulled the engine out and still running good in my friends 3G.

Vehicle
    88 DX Coupe

Question Re: My Adventures With Seafoam

damn i gotta try this stuff..................... but im not sure.
    i mean........ look @ my miles

DX Coupe w/\256,620 miles and still blastin'
    mods:
    stage 4 vacuum removal

My other car: 85 GTS Celica hatch (RWD)...390,000 miles "mildly" modded

"i should have my own high mileage club"

Vehicle
    88 Accord Hatch Lx to the i

omfg i have tryed to look up seafoam!... is it a product u can buy at autozone???

wtf does it doooow... help

and it goes like what again? brabrbar sumthin?

Vehicle
    88 Accord Hatch Lx to the i

omfg i have tryed to look up seafoam!... is it a product u can buy at autozone???

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah autozone has it...its like 6.50 a can

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by hotdoghogie

wow you suck at searching