Thread: When you hit the REC button, what do you hear?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

When you hit the REC button, what do you hear?

This is puzzling me. I know there is some kind of "flow" solenoid/diaphram that you hear when you put the fan speed on flow. Should I hear another noise when I hit the REC button the HVAC panel?? I do NOT hear anything and my blower speed doesn't increase or decrease when I hit (or "unhit") the REC button. I thought I would hear a little door opening/closing and the air flow would be stronger if I use the REC button. Let me know if you guys hear anything or your blower speed is noticeably different when you hit REC on your whips. I feel like I am only getting fresh air and it's damn hot! I want to see if I can get that stronger air gush with the REC button in. I honestly thought I remember hearing a vacuum type sound or something when I went in REC mode. My AC works fine, BTW. If it's humid, my defrost clears the glass. I would assume REC mode would steam up the windows worse.

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI

Re: When you hit the REC button, what do you hear?

The flap is over unded the glove box and I believe you can see it if you look up under there. It usually makes some kind of noise and is vacuum actuated. Though its the same vacuum source that works the rest of the vents so if that was bad then none of them would work and the car would be stuck in defrost. Blower speed shoudln't change much if any.

andy

2ndGenGuy

Re: When you hit the REC button, what do you hear?

REC works the best when you're running your A/C. The reason your windows fog up normall on recirc is becaue you're just fanning up all the moisture that is coming off of your body onto the windows. You're also recirculating the moisture that is already in the air across the windows.

But the A/C condenser always drys out the air, on recirc or not. It doesnt have to work as hard to cool the air in the car as it would if you were dumping hot air into the A/C condenser from outside.

You can also reach that flap if you take off that air intake cover that hides your windshield wiper linkage. On the right side of the car, once that panel is off, you should be able to look right down into the intake duct and see if it opens or closes or not.

I checked out mine some time ago, and found a nice bird or mouse nest. No wonder the fan was making noise!