Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 92-95 Civic Half Size Radiator Installation

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

Re: 92-95 Civic Half Size Radiator Installation

the stock lower radiator mounts are just rubber bushings in 'holes' and the posts on the radiator fits into the bushings.

for his setup he has built pvc pipe 'holes' and put the rubber bushings inside the pipe, and the civic radiator posts will fit right into the bushings which are sitting in the pvc holes.

the reason for needing that is because the spacing between the posts is way off obviously since the radiators are completely different widths.

your install shouldnt be any different than his, except possibly installing your pvc tube solution slightly closer to the firewall side of the engine bay, to allow clearance, but i'm sure that part depends on how exactly you rig up your radiator project.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett
    the stock lower radiator mounts are just rubber bushings in 'holes' and the posts on the radiator fits into the bushings.

for his setup he has built pvc pipe 'holes' and put the rubber bushings inside the pipe, and the civic radiator posts will fit right into the bushings which are sitting in the pvc holes.

the reason for needing that is because the spacing between the posts is way off obviously since the radiators are completely different widths.

your install shouldnt be any different than his, except possibly installing your pvc tube solution slightly closer to the firewall side of the engine bay, to allow clearance, but i'm sure that part depends on how exactly you rig up your radiator project.
    i think im starting to get it. so i just bolt my PVC caps to the angle and show the rubber bushing in there?

Vehicle

u got it!

from the pics, it looks like the rad is too tall, so you need to fit it this way, but I may be wrong, it might have just been easier to do it this way... either way i see nothing wrong with this installation.

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

anyone know about the ac "radiator" staying and if it just attaches to the original shroud... cus his setup is minus the ac parts... anyone?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

the stock radiator had all the mounts for the A/C fan... there are plenty of ways to mount fans, just get creative.

I thought the A/C condensor slid into side brackets or bolted to the frame... or used the A/C pipes as a means of keeping it in place.

Seriously though its not like removing the stock radiator is going to stop you from holding up the A/C
    - llia

Vehicle

yeah AC stuff stays in place without a problem if I recall. I remember having a heck of a time removing it all! rofl

Vehicle
    93 civic

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    The smaller fan is the A/C fan. it is on the drivers side... if you have the US spec car.
    hey great job on the civic radiator...but which one did you buy? 99-00 Civic SI and the 94-97 del sol have a dual core radiator that is twice the thickness of the 92-00 civic dx, lx, ex, etc radiator.

Autozone has Del Sol DOHC radiators for $100 with lifetime warranty so that is a good deal.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Busted_Blue
    hey great job on the civic radiator...but which one did you buy? 99-00 Civic SI and the 94-97 del sol have a dual core radiator that is twice the thickness of the 92-00 civic dx, lx, ex, etc radiator.
    Autozone has Del Sol DOHC radiators for $100 with lifetime warranty so that is a good deal.

ive got an all aluminum dual core half size civic radiator coming in for $200CAD(my friend hooked me up with one) and it comes with a lifetime warrenty. i think it was a mistake for me to buy it though as i should have bought the cheapest half size and actually made the mounts BEFORE i bought it. oh well, live and learn i guess, just hope ive worked out all the bugs i might run into

Vehicle

just got my radiator like two minutes ago and i'm looking at it and this thing is tiny!!! wow i didn't realize exactly how small is was but i was looking at it and i had a few questions... mine has these two little nozzle things on the bottom next to the mounting positions that didn't seem to be on your radiator swap any idea what these are?

Vehicle

those are for the automatic tranny oil to be cooled. also useful for turbo cars.

SEi User
    Vehicle

those are for the automatic tranny oil to be cooled. also useful for turbo cars.

how are they useful to turbo cars?!?!(pardon my expression, but im going turbo)

Vehicle

you would run an oil feed line from SOMEWHERE, onto your turbo's oil inlet port. and then from the turbo's oil drain port you would put the oil line into that port on the radiator. the bottom of the radiator acts as an oil cooler, so it will keep the oil cooler after having been run through the turbo. the then cooler oil goes out the other side and back into your oil pan through the bung that you would have had to make.

in auto cars they need the transmission oil to be cooled to keep the tranny fluid in check (i assume)..

SEi User
    Vehicle

you would run an oil feed line from SOMEWHERE, onto your turbo's oil inlet port. and then from the turbo's oil drain port you would put the oil line into that port on the radiator. the bottom of the radiator acts as an oil cooler, so it will keep the oil cooler after having been run through the turbo. the then cooler oil goes out the other side and back into your oil pan through the bung that you would have had to make.
    in auto cars they need the transmission oil to be cooled to keep the tranny fluid in check (i assume)..

i thought the turbos drain line had to be constantly pointed downwards as gravity is the only thing helping the oil back into the pan?

Vehicle

good point... i should look at the height of the oil pan vs radiator. my civic race radiator that i am planning on getting probably wont have those, so i hadn't thought too much about it.

Vehicle

so i got my fan today and i'm not sure how i'm gonna mount it to the rad since the holes are off by a couple inches but i guess i can figure out a way anyone had any experience or knw any tips?? let me know guys!

Vehicle

you could either take some aluminum/steel/galvy/etc flat bar, mount it to the existing fan mounting points, and then bend it or angle it etc until you can mount it to the fan as well. not sure how far off they are, or if your mount points are on the top of the rad or the front face.

Vehicle

they're on the front face and they are off diagonally by about 2-3 inches i was just thinking of using flat bar and bolting one bolt into the rad and one bolt with a self locking nut in the fan mount. oh and those auto tranny coolers how do you close those off... with a bolt or something? or just leave em they way they are?

Vehicle
    88 Accord LXi

I was wondering is the proformance the same or better than that of the full sized accord radiator?
    ---88 Accord LXi---
    -Suspension-
    Monroe Sensi-trac's all around
    TRW Variable Rate Springs
    Driver side front upper control arm - Three5's

-Engine-
    Repainted valve cover
    Accel Super Stock Coil
    Modded 90-93 'Teg CAI

--more to come--

SEi User
    Vehicle

im guessing itll be more efficient and wont turn on the stock fan as long as it normally would. other then that, theres no real performance out of it. im doing it cause im going turbo soon and ill be needing to upgrade my cooling system anyways

Vehicle

i had a question about the top rad mount... i looked online at some radiator mounts and they are about half and half. some have the rubber grommet inside and some don't... i'm doing this tomorrow and still haven't decided how to mount it to the frame on top. anyone got any ideas?

Vehicle

so i'm running the new civic radiator got everything in ok and all...

it did fine all the way back to my apt from my parents (35 miles).

but when i got off the freeway it started to heat up.
    the fan was running and the hoses are tight no leaks. could it be that i don't have enough coolant in the system? or too much coolant possibly because when we put it in it was dilluded more like 70/30 not 50/50 anyone wanna answer me for once??

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K
    so i'm running the new civic radiator got everything in ok and all...
    it did fine all the way back to my apt from my parents (35 miles).
    but when i got off the freeway it started to heat up.
    the fan was running and the hoses are tight no leaks. could it be that i don't have enough coolant in the system? or too much coolant possibly because when we put it in it was dilluded more like 70/30 not 50/50 anyone wanna answer me for once??

i hate to say it, but it might be for the fact that you got a single core half size rad. its HALF the size of the stock rad. ive got myself a civic aluminum rad with a 2 inch core, so i shouldnt have that problem. its completely your rad, not so much a leak or anything

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

I have my little civic radiator on, and the needle on the gague does not go above half way point EVER. It even worked great during the 100 degree heatwave we had a few weeks ago.

Make sure the fan is adjusted to turn on at a low enough temp, and make sure that you have no air bubbles in the cooling system.

I will get some new pictures posted soon, I just have been busy working on my new truck.

Vehicle

fan is running constantly and i'm pretty positive no air bubbles... but how can i be certain that there aren't any? in the manual it says squeeze upper hose to force air out how does that do anything?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

is your fan turning the right way?
    - llia