2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Re: 92-95 Civic Half Size Radiator Installation

blowing towards block?

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

Quote Originally Posted by stat1K
    blowing towards block?
    Yeah, that is the correct way to put the fan in.

Here is another test you can do:

Let the car idle for a few minutes, and let it get up to normal operating temperature. Once the thermostat opens, the top hose should be very hot to the touch. If it isn't, then you might have air bubbles.

There should be a bolt you can open on the thermostat housing to let out air. Opening that can help.

To get out all my bubbles I ended up squeezing the top hose alot, with the air bleeding bolt open, while adding as much coolant as I could.

Vehicle

i did that before and htere are no bubbles the problem is the fan controllers ground it is not making a good connection when i jiggle the wire the controller stops the fan... so when i turned the fan would turn off and on randomly. hopefully this will fix it!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

out of curiosity, how did you guys hook up the switch on the bottom of the stock rad? im planning on shoving it into a 1 inch pipe and putting it between the block and the rad between the pipes

Vehicle

i didn't use a switch i used a fan controller... number 3647 and a new fan. i also made all the brackets by hand and made mounts from metal for the top i'll take pictures for you guys. but i think i got everything worked out. we'll know tomorrow some random rain came tonight cooled it down so can't do an accurate test in the cooler weather. has to be 115

Vehicle

k so i got it working just fine now... the control module wasn't grounder properly.

when i tugged on the wire for the ground i could feel the relay clicking. so i fixed that and now the fan runs. it was running a little too hot so i turned the switch down and now it's good i need to take pics still so maybe in a couple days. only thing is i took the kick panel off so the iron could fit and now you can see it and it looks totally ghetto rigged. lol i'm thinking of painting it with high temp paint and getting a lip so you cant see, or so if i get to close to a curb the lip will hit and not my radiator support.

Vehicle

alright so i thought everything was ok but now i'm having some trouble. it's a new problem and i don't really know what it could be so i'm hoping those of you 3g veterans might know why it's doing this. the engine idles perfectly... i let it sit in front of my apt for about an hour running. temp did not move. however today when i drove to school after excessive braking the temperature gauge went up to almost 3/4!!!! and i was like wtf maybe the fan stopped blowing so i stopped popped the hood and it was blowing fine. so i turned it off and took a look at everything... the radiator cap didn't seem too hot considering the 3/4 line but hte valve cover singed my hand on a 2 sec touch. extremely hot! so i get in and turn the ignition forward but do not start it. the temp guage now reads almost 90% so i decided to start it to see what it did. when i started it the guage dropped back down to half and did not move... so i drove to work but everytime i brake the guage goes up. same thing happened just now coming home from work. could it be a faulty thermo reading and if so what parts would i need to change?? if anyone can help me out with this i would be much appreciative.

also if the guage was that high wouldnt the some of the coolant go into the overflow tank? i didn't notice the overflow being any higher than it was when i previously checked... so yeah let me know thanks in advance guys.

SEi User
    Vehicle

maybe it is the temperature gauge. it should be located on the thermostat housing itself, one of those sensors are it. it might also be because the thermostat is sticking shut from time to time, or it might be because the rad cap isnt rated at the same PSI as your old one. i thikn its the temperature gauge though

i wouldnt put too much thought into that gauge considering their not really that accurate at all. theres a reason why im putting in an aftermarket gauge in my car, its so i would know if something was truly overheating above normal.

Vehicle

yeah that's what it seems like. i'm gonna go check out a water temp guage and maybe an aftermarket gauge to see if it's really overheating thanks for your input though!

Vehicle

ok so i got a water temperature guage. however it's an analog/mechanical guage and has a sensor that's supposed to plug in... will this even work on the car i thought they were pretty much universal?? anyone have one / know if i can install it? let me know guys thanks! or should i use an electric -- because is the guage seperate from the sensor... my thought was if the sensor is giving a false reading then i would need a new one?

SEi User
    Vehicle

for the most part, they are universal and just need to be plugged in to the water source. ive got an eletric one, but analog/mechanical ones should work just as well. once you have it installed, check its temperature from time to time and when it shows the engines overheating on the dash. compare the temperature on the gauge to the dash and compare it to the service manual. if the dash gauge is broken, then replace it.

Vehicle

yeah but do you have any idea where i would plug it into a water source?

SEi User
    Vehicle

id use a 1 inch pipe and drill a hole for the sensor, then put RTV or something resistant to coolant to seal it off, then cut the rad hose apart and clamp it between the hose

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...N=700+401094+0

Here is an electric pump... just need to stick in a dud-pump and seal the shaft hole. would this be added after the water pipe? and which way does our coolant flow?
    - llia

Vehicle

i don't think you guys know what i'm talking about at all. i'm talking about a guage... not the original sensor... i don't know whatever.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I bought a universal one from wal-mart. it worked no problem but it uses it's own sensor. I had to make an adapter because the sensor was so long.

there were problems because the adapter created an air pocket... so I had to make a "T" fitting to allow cooalnt to flow past the sensor and back to the thermostat in a loop.

I wouldn't try to hook up another gauge to use our stock sensor.
    - llia

Vehicle

right that's what i'm saying... i have a universal with a new sensor. so how exactly did you attach it because i have it and it's pretty long too. you probably have one very similar to mine. i just need to know how to approach this like a rough idea of how to make an adapter and wear this said adapter would be placed? are we talking about like a piece of pipe on the lower hose similar to the one for using the original fan sensor and such? or one near the thermostat. i'm just kinda confused because the instructions for this gauge say not to use a T other wise i would just splice into one of the hoses and get a T-fitting and some hose clamps. or is this install manual full of shit? i'm just kinda confused in general.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

the fan sensor port on the stock accord radiator is perfect for the walmart gauge sensor, but then you wont have a fan thermo switch in the base of the radiator any more.
    Does the civic radiator even have a sensor port?

Anyways to avoid that I made my adapter T and I used the thermostat housing instead.

I had tried to install the gauge at the rear of the intake manifold and on the thermostat housing directly with no "T" but then the air bubbles would keep the gauge from working or it would work sporaticly.

- llia

SEi User
    Vehicle

the civic rad has no extra ports on it instead. the way i was thinking about mounting is is by drilling a hole in a pipe and connecting it into a section of the rad hose i cut up. the pipe would have the sensor pointing down so any air bubbles that i do have would rise back up and would be bled out easily the first time around.

EDIT. are you just using that hot water hose and teeing it off somewhere? cause i dont really get that picture too much

Vehicle

that picture helps a little. and newaccordriver that's what i was thinking about doing with the pipe. a20a1 the civic does not have a thermoswitch port. and i am also not using the existing thermoswitch. i have a new one that i wired up.

but my question is can i use the existing sending hole to put the new sensor in. the new sensor on the guage looks a bit too large for it. in which case i was told that i could get an adapter from a parts store. but on the one you made did you use the existing hole or the coolant lines from the intake?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I made an adapter for the stock gauge sensor and it had air bubbles so I used the bleed hole instead... the bleed hole and LXI temp sensor ports are close if I remember correctly but the LX has its temperature gauge on the intake manifold so I ended up routing the loop to there.
    - llia

Vehicle

yeah the sending point and the bleed hole are real close. here is my exact question since it seems to keep getting lost in the posts.

can i use the existing sending points HOLE to put the new sensor in? or do i HAVE TO make an adapter... and if i make an adapter with a loop like you did a20a1 on the lxi where would i make this loop? cooling systems are kind of a new thing for me... especially with honda cooling systems.

update on the car though. right now the gauge seems to be operating properly. i played with it's cable a bit and it seems to be doing better. the reading is normally right below half but if i have to brake a lot it goes up? only thing i could think in this situation is either bubbles, thermostat, and or when i brake for some reason the gauge is off? so i'm still looking to attach the new gauge to see exactly how hot it is and compare it to the stock one.

edit-- caps are for emphasis not to be a dick.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

The loop on the LXI would go from the bleed hole to the stock temp sensor port... so basicly right next to each other.

Not sure if you can find a short hose to loop from one to the other.
    - llia

Vehicle

ok so if i do this pipe idea with the welding which hose should i attacth the pipe to?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

if you stick the sensor in a pipe and then just have the sensor protrude into the flow of the coolant you wont need to have any looping of hoses to let out air pockets. The only problem I had was when I tried to adapt the sensor to an existing port... It pulled the sensor away from the coolant flow and made air pockets that cause the sensor not to pick up anything.

I had a thought just now.

The sensor I had was smooth... I figure if you can insert a brass fitting into the thermostat... screw it in basicly and then drill the brass so that the center is smooth and the sensor can just slide in, then solder the sensor to the brass fitting and it should hold no problem and work well too. Though I don't know if soldering the sensor will hurt it or not.
    - llia