Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 92-95 Civic Half Size Radiator Installation

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord
    This is a work in progress, I will probably be editing and adding to this alot.

None of this is tested yet, my car is still up on blocks while I finish the manual swap and wait for parts.

I am putting each segment in a different post because sometimes I end up hitting the "maximum number of images per post" limit.

Please post any questions or comments you may have.

Backstory:

While I was working on my manual transmission swap, I noticed that my old radiator was looking pretty tough:

I went looking for a stock replacement radiator, but realized that…

1. Stock Civic half size radiators can be found cheaper.
    2. High performance Civic half size radiators are readily available from many suppliers.
    3. A Civic half size radiator would leave a lot of extra space for a turbo.

I guess its time to make a 92-95 civic half size radiator fit into my 3rd generation Honda Accord...

Part 1: Making it fit

Parts I Used:

Radiator $35 shipped (eBay)
    Eventually I plan to get a better radiator, but this should work good for testing. I went for a copper core 1 inch core radiator. The cheap radiators on eBay are all 1 inch or 5/8 inch, if the auction says differently they are most likely measuring something other than the core thickness. All the cheap radiators have plastic tanks.

Radiator cap $7 (Checkers/partsamerica.com)

3 foot long piece of angle iron $6 (Menards)

2 1.5 inch PVC end caps with short segment of pipe and PVC glue $5 (Menards)
    Make sure the PVC caps are not rounded. They must be of the flat type. Check your local hardware stores. Copper end caps can also work, but they are more expensive, harder to cut, do not fit as well, and will change colors from being in the elements.

Some bolts and nuts

Need Picture
    12 inch 1550 CFM slim radiator fan $35 (E-Bay)

1 top radiator mount from a Nissan (unsure of year) (Junkyard)
    These are used in sets of two as top radiator mounts for many Nissan vehicles.

Building the mounts:

My goal was to install this radiator without cutting up my car. This way if I really screwed something up, or found that it would be impossible for this idea to work I could go back to using my old radiator.

This is what the lower mount looked like when it was done:

To build it I first cut down the angle iron to the required length, and then mounted it hanging from the old stock mounts. I used large nuts as spacers, and used washers to make sure nothing could pull through.

(I need to cut off the lowest bolts so they don’t hang so low)

Then I took the 1.5 inch PVC caps, and glued the 1.5 inch PVC pipe inside them. I let the glue dry, and then cut the pipe off flush with the cap. The stock lower Accord radiator mount rubber supports sit cradled inside this perfectly.

Next I drilled a hole slightly off center in the bottom of these caps. These holes in the should allow the PVC caps to bolt up to the angle iron so they just touch the frame in the front of the car.

Now I trimmed down the height of the PVC cap. I kept cutting down height of the cap until the rubber mount just touches the bolt. Then I bolted both mounts in place, and was done with the lower mounts.

For the upper mount I just grabbed an upper radiator mount off a Nissan at the local junkyard. I drilled one hole in the crossthing (find name later) and bolted it on.

(Mount with chalk on it)
    To make sure the top mount wouldn’t hit the hood; I covered it in chalk, and carefully closed the hood on it a few times. It seemed to clear the hood just fine. Since my engine happened to be out of the car, I was also able to look at the radiator from inside the engine bay with the hood closed and make sure it all fit.

Finally, I will be mounting the fan to the radiator with the included through core mounting kit.
    (I have not yet done this, waiting for fan to arrive)

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord
    Part 2 Electrical:

Civic radiators do not have a place to put the temperature sensor that the 3rd generation accord requires. Usually you have come up with a new spot to mount the old sensor, and this can be a problem.

From my understanding, I would have to cut the coolant line going to the bottom radiator port. Install a segment of pipe there, with a nut welded onto it for the stock sensor to thread into. Then hook the sensor up.

I really didn’t want to mess with welding up a pipe, so I figured I would try out an alternate solution using an adjustable fan controller.

Parts Needed:

Hayden Adjustable Fan Controller PN 3647 amps ($40 Checkers/partsamerica.com)

1 12v Relay ? amps (need check manual for what the fan fuse is rated)
    Relay may not be needed, I guess the controller can do 30 amps, and the fan is under that.

Directions:
    The sensor just pushes into the radiator, and then it just needs to be wired up like this:

(Idea borrowed from FordMuscle.com )
    (Probably need to update schematic.... Will fix it when I actually get it hooked up and know it works)

Hooking up the fan controller in this way ends up adding an extra relay that probably should not be needed, but it is the quickest and easiest way to get everything working. If you hook the controller up like this you do not have to cut any of the electrical harnesses, and the modification can easily be removed at a later date if needed.

Here are some other "inside the engine bay" pictures that you might like...

It's still kinda dirty in some of these pictures, I was not done degreasing when I took them.

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: 92-95 Civic Half Size Radiator Installation

Good DIY, and that last picture is funny.

EDIT: second to last picture (you posted why I was)
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

nice diy! this would definatly come in handy when i actually get my lazy off of this chair, purchase turbo parts and start to do it! lol

hurry up and finish writing it up!

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny
    nice job on the civic rad. i want to use it, but i still dont get what you mean by using those PVC caps

Quote Originally Posted by Bglad420
    nice work, but that bracket you made for the underneath looks a little sketch, I'd be worried about hitting it on something and fudging it all up.
    same here, but if your not lowered or anything it SHOULD hold up. i dont bottom out alot or stunt or anything, so i doubt ill have a problem

how far does the radiator hang down compared to the stock one? and what are the chances of the bolts and such scraping before it hits the frame or something

Vehicle
    90 ED7 Si
    nice work, but that bracket you made for the underneath looks a little sketch, I'd be worried about hitting it on something and fudging it all up.

Mines not lowered either, but the'r have been plenty of times where I have hit mine on things, like curbs, and such.

Mabey consider using flat bar, instead of the square tube, the radiator doesn't weigh anything anyways, and you would eliminate possiblities of smashing it up. just my 2 cents.
    I can't read the signature rules so MrBen deleted my signature.

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

i only have one question about all of this.

do we really need the sensor? i mean you talk about welding a nut to a piece of pipe or electrical conduit like accordtheory said to make it work. do we really need it? and as far as the relay goes would the stock fan mount up? or is it too big... let me know your thoughts man. thanks.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Looks good.

I'd perfer to let the thermoswitch do the work for me, but I run the fan always on then not using a thermoswitch.

If the radiator is truely half the size of the stock accord one then I think it will work, our radiator fits 2 stock large fans. Its important that the shroud fits properly to get the maximum use of the fan.
    - llia

Vehicle

so both fans in the accord are for the radiator... do they both run at the same time or what, cus i never see both of mine running at once?? so has anyone used the stock fans on the half sized radiator? i jrealy just want to see if the original fan will work on the new radiator because i have a fan that's about 1 month old. the fan you got was it like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-IN...spagenameZWDVW

found this as well...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MISHI...06246714QQrdZ1
    Last edited by stat1K; 07-08-2006 at 09:20 AM.

Vehicle

ok so i think i might actually understand how this whole wiring thing works out... you don't need to cut into the harness because you just don't use the harness right? the new fan has open wires and the fan switch thing has wires out that you just wire up to an existing 12v ignition signal right? and ground it of course. am i on the right track i wanna order some stuff but i wanna be sure of what i'm doing first. let me know guys.

Vehicle

can someone explain that diagram alittle more.

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

I am still not done with it all yet (I am working on pulling the head while the car is still up on blocks).

Right now I just left everything disconnected from the stock harness, and hooked the fan directly up to the battery with the hayden controller according to the instructions that came with it. Ignore the diagram, it isnt accurate. I will make sure to get it fixed eventually.

The stock fan could fit with some modifications, but mounting it could be tricky. The fan I got simply mounts through the radiator and does not use the mounting bolts on the tanks.

I got my fan from www.partzfinder.com (they sell through ebay too) , and my radiator was similar to this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150008966384 (but mine was copper)
    Last edited by Swap_File; 07-10-2006 at 10:37 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI Coupe

wait, so could u just get a half size rad, slap it on (with some minor mods...) and then just wire the fan to ground, positive and switch??? am i getting this all right? or is there some prob about doin that?
    V12 Supercharged Toyota Accord

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

This is pretty much what I did:

This way the fan can run while the car is off, if the radiator is still too hot.

It also does not use the stock harness at all.

Vehicle

ok so i can figure out the wiring my next question is do you have to modify any of the radiator hoses? or use new ones?

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

The stock hoses work fine as is.

Vehicle

k i have a bid on a civic aluminum radiator as we speak just need to get those other parts. good faq swap keep up the good work!

Vehicle

last question before i do this. the second fan on the original radiator. the one buy the driver side... is taht for the radiator or the a/c and should i leave it in the car or just ditch it?

Vehicle

anyone?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

The smaller fan is the A/C fan. it is on the drivers side... if you have the US spec car.
    - llia

Vehicle

so that means i jus leave that one there? i guess i'll have to build a little bracket for it too huh?

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

If you are keeping your AC, you can mount the AC fan directly on the AC radiator. According to the schematics in my 1989 service manual it looks like it should still turn on while the AC is on.

If you are removing your AC, just disconnect the fan and tie the plug back. It will give you alot more room up in front.

My new radiator setup has been working great. I will hopefully get some more pictures up, and finish the How-To soon.
    Last edited by Swap_File; 07-24-2006 at 10:15 PM.

Vehicle

yeah i will be keeping my ac as i live in arizona i know it gives a lot more room but i definitely need it. but then again i could disconnect it as it's not even working right now :\

Vehicle

i think i'm gonna rename myself threadkiller

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

hey swap_file, can you clearify how you mounted the radiator to the angle bar? i kinda get what the pictures saying, but im still kinda clueless. i have a 2 inch thick radiator coming, so itll probably be a bit more different to install, but even then it shouldnt be much different