Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a20 to b20a swap help!!!! carb to fi

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Re: a20 to b20a swap help!!!! carb to fi

Quote Originally Posted by stevenr816
    what do you mean a completly different motor? if it says for a b20 shouldnt it be for a b20?

Listen dude, this site has TONS of knowledge and has been around this question over and over. We have all had these ideas and tried to figure out how to accomplish them and once our dreams were crushed we figured out that a turbo a20 is the best alternative to a motor swap (and actually makes a lot of power)

The b20B/Z came in the 98-00 Honda CRV it is a 2.0L version of the integra LS b18a/b motor. This motor has nothing to do with the b20a you need, the block, crank, pistons, head, and all other varios parts are not the same.

The b20 you are looking for was produced in the 80's and was only available in the older jdm preludes and the EDM/JDM accords.

There was another b20? made for the 88-91 preludes, but that motor will not fit in our cars either.

As for the a20/b20 comment I made, there is not much aftermarket support for the b20, just as there is no aftermarket support for the a20. This means you are just as likely to find performance parts for the a20 as you are for the b20.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Well if you were gonna go and turbo a A20 I wouldn't just go and shove a ton of boost down its throat. With that many miles I would definetly get a compression test if you werent gonna go and rebuild the whole thing, at least get it brought back to OEM specs.

Legend master hit it on the head with what he said on his latest post in this thread.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

well as of right now im doing a vacuum line removal but i dont know what stage i should do cause i dont know what the benifites are and what not. i guess it doesnt really matter because in a couple months im doing the fi conversion so....... if someone could help me with websites for a20 parts that would be cool cause i have never seen any in my life except for replacemnet parts. b20a motors are different but everyone says they are not the same b20 parts?!?

ok dude, you're not gonna find these B20A parts ANYWHERE in the United States. All part are either imported from Japan, or a few things will fit from the A20. What is so hard to understand? It even says it in the damn article that the B20A is not compatible with any other B20, or B-series engines.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

yeah, because the b20a that we're talking about was never sold in cars here, no one carries parts for them. a few parts will fit from the b20a5/7 but don't count on it happening a lot.

www.nopieonline.com

they have SOME parts for our cars

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackieDarko
    www.nopieonline.com
    they have SOME parts for our cars
    your link is wrong it's www.nopi.com
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Exclamation Re: a20 to b20a swap help!!!! carb to fi

maybe i wont get a b20a after all?!? ill find out after i do the fi conversion to see how it runs, or atleast after the vacuum line removal. since it always idles at 2k+ and if it goes below that it dies. no vacuum line leaks, new msd coil, accel wires, bosch plugs, distributer, rebuilt carb and head, and compression checked the cylinders (125 psi across) so thats why i want a swap besides the 236k on it.

where can i get a turbo for the a20 (mines a bs but that doesnt matter)?
    also what about a cam?

you can send a cam to Delta and they can re-grind it for you

http://www.deltacam.com/

you can use any turbo you want you just need a manifold

Paeco regrinds cams and Gude makes an entire head kit.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Talking Re: a20 to b20a swap help!!!! carb to fi

ok today i did the vacuum line removal. im pretty sure i did a stage 3+ cause i left the secondary on so....... the car runs great so far! it idles at 900-1100 it could idle a little better! my question is do i now need to adjust the distributer timing since i had the distributer timing set when it idled at 2k+? cause it dies down alot when you let the clutch out and you have to give it alot of gas. other then that it has alot of top end power, and runs richer then it did. does good burnouts now! i have one more question, with 236k on the motor the valve springs are probably weak, so before this it could bearly go to 7500 and just bearly sit there, but now it goes straight up there and it sounds like its valve float??? i havent heard it before, i know its not a rev limiter cause the red line is at 6200-6300 .......so im happy now. i just need to do the fi conversion now. the engine bay looks alot cleaner with everything gone. i'll post pics in awhile.
    :thumbup:
    steven
    ok here are the pics!
    before:

after:

Last edited by stevenr816; 06-30-2006 at 05:21 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Talking Re: a20 to b20a swap help!!!! carb to fi

all the parts i took off:

question 1: does removing all that stuff have some kind of detrimental affect on the car?

question 2: any idea how performance can be affected by this?

I'm gonna try to get my hands on another 3g, trying to make something that can beat some ricers :P

also, i inquired to a company about getting the B20A's that WE need. i'll let u guys know how it goes.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    05 Legacy GT 87/accord/lx (rip)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenr816
    with 236k on the motor the valve springs are probably weak, so before this it could bearly go to 7500 and just bearly sit there, but now it goes straight up there and it sounds like its valve float??? i havent heard it before, i know its not a rev limiter cause the red line is at 6200-6300 .......so im happy now.
    Why the hell would you rev such an old stock motor past the redline? Dude, no wonder you think you're getting valve float. Carbed 3Gs don't have a rev limiter. My advice to you is to find a low milage efi motor and swap the whole thing into the body you have. Then you can work with the efi motor and could turbo it down the road.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by EducatedFool
    question 1: does removing all that stuff have some kind of detrimental affect on the car?
    question 2: any idea how performance can be affected by this?
    I'm gonna try to get my hands on another 3g, trying to make something that can beat some ricers :P
    also, i inquired to a company about getting the B20A's that WE need. i'll let u guys know how it goes.
    i know it runs alot richer cause i have a a/f gauge, it has alot more top end, and my car actually idles at 1k. it runs great now! i dont think that removing all of the stuff has affect on the car except for the ability to pass emissions and thats it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by keruhas184
    Why the hell would you rev such an old stock motor past the redline? Dude, no wonder you think you're getting valve float. Carbed 3Gs don't have a rev limiter. My advice to you is to find a low milage efi motor and swap the whole thing into the body you have. Then you can work with the efi motor and could turbo it down the road.
    i was driving and missed 2nd since there was such a big differnce after doing the vacuum line conversion, that why it reved to 7500. well im planning on doing the efi conversion (since i have to do it before the new motor) so once i do that i'll probably go but another motor cause i do want to boost it or spray a little 50 shot. or i could go get a 50 shot and blow this motor when i buy a new motor, i think that would be fun since its life is almost over anyway. do you know any companys that sell a turbo kit for an a20?

steven

LXi User
    Vehicle
    05 Legacy GT 87/accord/lx (rip)

Nobody sells a turbo kits for A20s. You'll have to go all custom. There are a few places that make very A20 nice turbo manifolds, I think you'll find them in the turbo faq.

Brad @ rims and things has 2 B20A's, but only w/ auto trannys :( he wants 800 for each swap.
    Last edited by EducatedFool; 07-10-2006 at 05:38 PM.